Thinking of getting an EX3, time running out. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 11th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #16
Major Player

Hopefully the price does not change since I have decided to sell my ex-1 and upgrade to the ex-3.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #17
Trustee

Could I ask, what are you looking for in the EX3 that you dont get in the EX1

Thanks
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Could I ask, what are you looking for in the EX3 that you dont get in the EX1

Thanks

GenLock, Timecode in/out, fantastic viewfinder. Semi Shoulder form.

Other than that, it has the same exact image.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Another vote for the DSR 300 for SD work. Since most of my work is ultimately still ends up as SD, I find myself not going into the field with the EX1 very much. We use our EX1s in the studio. I'm using HD-SDI out and downconverting on the fly through a PDW F75 to DVCAM. That seems to work better in terms of quality. I also have to say, the when I white-balanced the DSR next to my EX1, the DSR was more accurate.
There were no EX3s when I purchased. I would have purchased them because I'm using the cameras in a studio configuration. But I've been surprised just how well the cameras match up without genlock or an RCU to remotely shade the cameras. So for my purposes the extra gear and extra cost of studio configured EX3s would probably have been wasted money.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #20
Trustee

Thanks for all that advice and info. I have to make my mind up by tomorrow if I'm buying an EX3 or not. I know my DSR300 and 390 are excellent cameras and will be hard to beat. I haven't even seen an EX3 in reality.
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #21
Trustee

Does the EX3 have an D-tap socket for my IDX light. If not, how do you get round this.
Thanks.
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #22
Regular Crew

EX3 anton bauer adapter.... dtap and dionic 90... very nice !!!!

good luck
Old March 11th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Does the EX3 have an D-tap socket for my IDX light. If not, how do you get round this.
Thanks.
You can use SWIT S-8U62 replacement for Sony BP-U60 Battery:
Li-ion Battery S-8U62 - it has a D-tap socket..
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks.
Zacuto have some solutions as well.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #25
Major Player

If you already have V-lock batteries go for Bebob EX3 - very solidly built with x2 D-tap connectors and x4 Hirose connectors - more than enough for any future expansion such as an on-board light, 2 cordless mic receivers (operating on a 12 V supply) and a possible XDR / Nano recorder......The D-tap outputs up to 50 watt power supply. I have connected a Zylight 90 (a massive 30 watt consumption) on it with no problem.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #26
Trustee

Thanks all for the advice. Yes, I have V-lock batteries. Whats the cheapest solution for now, I would like to be able to use my IDX light.
Old March 12th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #27
Major Player

I think you should go for Bebob or any other V-mount adaptor. Although Bebob is slightly more expensive than one Swit battery, you will have the possibility of using your more powerful and heavy duty batteries - apart from having more shoulder stability with the added weight.
Old March 12th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #28
Trustee

Is this what I need. BEBOB COCO-EX3-V
BEBOB COCO-EX3-V1

Will it let me use my IDX (D-Tap) light and my Vmount batteries.
Thanks
Old March 12th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #29
Major Player

Yes that is the Bebob for the EX3. It has 2 D-tap outlets so there should not be any problems in connecting the IDX via a D-tap. It will also accept any size and power of V-lock batteries. It also has a piece of metal at the side to act as a cordless mic receiver attachment. You can see more photos of it here:

bebob COCO-EX3-V V-Mount Battery-Adapter for Sony EX3.

With the Bebob attached you can also attach the VF Gadgets EX3 Heavy Duty Base Plate with Back Plate:

EX3 Heavy Duty Base Plate System | VFGadgets.com

The supplied long screws will attach both items together at the base of the EX3. Neither Bebob nor VF Gadgets could confirm this prior to ordering the base plate - so I felt that I should share this piece of info with everyone who might be interested. The back plate will stabilize further the EX3 when placed on the shoulder.
Old March 12th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #30
Trustee

Thanks Brian for the advice, I forgot to mention that I also need a solution for my cordless mic receiver, the bebob looks like it fits the bill. How does the Bebob work, like, it connects to the camera and there must be a power lead from it to the power in, on the camera. What if you have to connect the power mains lead to the camera to, how does this work. Is that a silly question :)
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds