Crash cam to use with EX? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 12th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Crash cam to use with EX?

Anyone have experience with some of the newer cheap consumer HD cams? I'd like to get one for some car mount shots to cut with EX footage. I'm concerned about the CMOS jello vision thing--are any of the new ones (Sony or Canon) able to get around that?

Otherwise for CCD in the under $700 range it looks like the JVC HD6 or Panasonic HS100. Others? Thoughts? Thanks.
Rob Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Major Player

I cut my Sony SR11 with EX3, in bright light it looks close enough. Getting around the way the image sensor works is going to be a futile mission. Better off living with it or going with the sensor that gives you the image you are looking for. Oh and the Panasonic you posted above is a cmos camera.
Old March 12th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #3
Trustee

JACK CABBAGE: Canon XHA1: The Primary Camera for Crank 2

Canon HF10.
Old March 12th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

We've used Sony HDR-CX7 consumer camcorders extensively for our various production shoots. It is the original Sony AVCHD memory-card based model. We've been very happy with it as an "in harm's way camera". Fortunately none of the half dozen or so we have, have experienced any injuries or problems. They've been on everything from skydiver helmets to inside underwater enclosures, kayaking and BMXing.

We've cut footage between these cameras with both our F900 and our EX1 on our Avids.

We purchased various wide-angle and fish-eye lenses for them.

SG
Steve Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks all. Any experience on the "jello" issue when using a cheap car mount like a sticky pod? The Panasonic CCD cam I was thinking of is the HS9: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features
Rob Collins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds