[drop loud audio levels] Does the EX1 have a forced audio limiter in manual mode? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 18th, 2009, 02:20 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I use an Audio Technica AT822 which indeed delivers a very hot signal as I know from before. But it worked fabulous with any hard fireworks on my VX2100 ;)

My firmware is 1.11_0531, camera was built in Janaury 2009. So it should have "all the best" available till now.

There is no possibility for me to try with different micros, since I have to buy everything I would like to test. I have a Beyerdynamic MCE72 as second micro but because of its recording characteristics its not usable for musical fireworks displays, since it "does not reach the music" (music is simply to silent when recorded, in any setting/config).

I will try reducing the attentuators with my AT822 but was still a little "confused", if the limiters in manual audio mode would cut the audio level meters so dramatically and visibly, that they never reach the red end.
Markus Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 04:13 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Also on EX3

I discovered the same audio limiting effect on my EX3 when I connected a wireless microphone receiver. It should be documented in the manual!
Arild Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:00 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Dean mentioned this footage in another thread, that shows the breathing of audio very clear after every shot:
YouTube - Walt Disney EPCOT Fireworks - IllumiNations Reflections of Earth 2008 in HD 1080p with Sony PMW-EX1

On the other hand this video really, really is how fireworks should not be filmed, so better forget it. ;)
Markus Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:21 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Is that "breathing" or the audience "gasping"?

:-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds