Boom Mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 16th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Boom Mic

Hi,

Delving into the world of boom mic's.

Anyone used the..... SENNHEISER K6 SYSTEM WITH ME 66 SHOTGUN HEAD AND RYCOTE SOFTIE/HANDLE?

Or any ideas on what is a good quality set up for around that price?

Thanks
Darren Ruddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #2
Trustee

We have that set up and it works pretty well. If I was to do it again though, I would probably spend additional money to get something even more sensitive. I was told that the ME66 is a good "starter shot gun" and that's a good description. It's good but not great.

I've seen good reviews of the Schopets (spelling). It's blue in color and supposed to be a real good shotgun. It better be because it sells for something like $1500!

K-tek makes the best boom poles and they also make good shock mounts and fuzzy with d screens. I'd call and talk to them before you buy.

I also would recommend the Studio 1 brand AM-300 Audio Monitor for your boom pole operator to connect his headphones. It's much cheaper than a portable mixing board that you don't really need if you're only using one boom mic.
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Schoeps

I'm not sure what you're willing to spend, but I believe that Schoeps mics are the best on the planet for voice recording. I personally have the Schoeps CM4, and many people have commented on the clarity and quality of this mic. It is so so sweet.

In years past, I have owned the Seinhauser 416, etc., but nothing can beat Schoeps in my opinion.

I ALWAYS use the Schoeps CM4 on a boom except when impossible, and then I use my Lectronics wireless.
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #4
Major Player

sanken

CS3 gets very good reviews as a short gun.

If you want modular, try the AKG Blue Line. I use the short gun and the hyper with very good results. The ME66 is a bit hotter, peaked in the voice area.
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Ditto on AKG blue line. I love the hyper capsule (AKG | Blue Line Series Microphone Kit | B&H Photo Video) and the shotgun is OK too (AKG | CK98 Hyper-Cardioid Shotgun Microphone | 2439 Z 00040).
Rob Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I own one, they're not bad, for another $100 the AT4073 is more bang for the buck.

Be advised though, it's one of the most hated mics on the planet for some reason. I've seen short films dedicated to ridiculing it.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #7
Trustee

This is the mic I was talking about:

Schoeps CMIT5U Professional Condenser Shotgun Microphone

Schoeps | CMIT5U Shotgun Microphone | CMIT 5U | B&H Photo Video

$1999
Old March 17th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #8
Major Player

new Schoeps

Mitchell is correct, this brand new Schoeps model is probably the best voice mic in the world. I bought my Schoeps CM4 used from a Hollywood soundman who bought this new gem.

But I love my CM4. I'm an old guy in my 60's. I've been around this business for 40 years and know what I'm talking about. A Schoeps shotgun mic will do you proud I promise.
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #9
Inner Circle

The Schoeps is fantabulous, but the OP is looking for something in the ME66 price range. The Schoeps is 4x the money. Again, I'd go with this:Audio-Technica | AT4073A - Shotgun Microphone | AT4073A | B&H
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #10
Major Player

There is a very good shootout review on this forum -- one of the reviews -- between the Sennheiser ME66 and the Sennheiser MKH416. It has audio clips so you can hear the difference between the ME66 and a more high end mic. The referenced Schoeps is top end and arguably the best out there but recommending this mic given your price range is akin to telling someone they should buy a Varicam when they are looking a Z1U and that's the kind of budget they are on.

It's good to see the Audio Technica AT4073A is selling for $600 US at B&H. That is an astounding price for that quality of mic.

Ken Stone's website has a very good shootout review/summary of a bunch of mics that are suitable for video work including hypercardoid -- which is what you are after. I would check that out as well.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Many thanks guys,

Some of those mic's look a bit top end for me but the Audio Technica one looks just about right. With all the other bits it will be a bit more than I want to spend but as Ken Stone points out, if you have bought a decent camera don't scrimp on sound!

Many thanks!
Darren Ruddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #12
Major Player

I bought my Schoeps CM4 shotgun mic on Ebay for $800. If you can find a similar bargain on Ebay, you would then have a much better mic than anthing new in the $600 range, and for just a little bit more.

Whatever you decide, good luck . . .
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #13
Major Player

Darren, the Audio Technica AT4073A is known to audio folks as part of AT's "40 series" mics which are highly regarded by sound engineers, producers and sound techs as their "tube sounding" mics which have a warm enveloping bottom end. Voices resonate with a nice bottom end "warm" glow. It will save you tons of time as the voices get down on the track ready to go unless it isn't placed properly.

This mic used to cost well over a thousand bucks. Where I live a couple of years ago they were retailing for $1500. At $600 it is a steal. Go into an pro audio division plug one these puppies into a mixer and listen to it through a set of good headphones.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone View Post
Darren, the Audio Technica AT4073A is known to audio folks as part of AT's "40 series" mics which are highly regarded by sound engineers, producers and sound techs as their "tube sounding" mics which have a warm enveloping bottom end. Voices resonate with a nice bottom end "warm" glow. It will save you tons of time as the voices get down on the track ready to go unless it isn't placed properly.

This mic used to cost well over a thousand bucks. Where I live a couple of years ago they were retailing for $1500. At $600 it is a steal. Go into an pro audio division plug one these puppies into a mixer and listen to it through a set of good headphones.
I use the AT4073A as it is the best deal and isn't that long and intrusive, one of the primary factors was the fact that it wasn't so big.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:11 AM   #15
Trustee

What about RODE NTG-3? I use the ME66 with the EX1 but it picks up a lot of background noise. Not sure if it can be improved or it is just the mic?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds