sony sxs card intergrity checker - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 18th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #16
Major Player

Salvage card

I had one occasion when the power went off in mid record on a 16 gig card. WHen I put it in the computer to copy it over some of the clips were missing, I don't recall if any were blacked out. In the browser software I got a prompt to "SALVAGE" the card in the original recording camera.
The exact wording escapes me, but with no choice I put the card back in the camera, got a salvage prompt, then a restore media prompt. Everything came back fine (insert large sigh of relief here).
If you still have the files on the card perhaps you can copy it in the camera to another card just to be safe, then try it in the browser to see if any weird prompts come up.
In my quick read of the thread it seems you've only looked at it in the EX 3 and the EX 1 - have you tried it in the computer/card reader?
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:09 AM   #17
Tourist

Problems with restore

Hi folks,
Just found this thread after searching "restore" because files from one card wouldn't copy over to the Avid from the camera via USB. It too says "must restore," and with no options to do it. I then remembered flipping the little slider switch to lock to prevent data loss while shooting on the steam engine. Lot's going on in the cab course. I spaced it till now when doing data transfer. Slid the slider switch away from "lock" and started transfer. got 3/4 through the Xfr and then error messages started popping up with the remainder of files.

Not sure what to do now with the 15 or so clips that need to be restored.

Last edited by Brendan Smith; May 3rd, 2009 at 11:54 AM.
Brendan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:21 PM   #18
Major Player

Copy the data (the BPAV folder) onto your computer as a backup at this point. Put the protect tab in first though.

You should be able to play the mp4 files in something like VLC. And can also transcode these files to other files type, which you can edit with. At least I believe that's all possible...

Perhaps there another EX owner who can try a restore on a different camera.

Never had to do it myself yet though.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:46 PM   #19
Major Player

Does anybody actually know what the camera is doing to the card when it say it needs to be Restored? Has Sony ever said what causes this to happen and what is being "restored"?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:31 PM   #20
Trustee

I don't understand why Sony can't put the "restore media" function on a program that runs in your computer.

I recently had a card that was removed while rolling. I also got a restore media warning and the camera did that fine.
The hitch was that "clip browser 2.5" cannot see the restored clip which was 40 min long. I almost lost it altogether until I noticed the problem and copied with the finder.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds