DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   sony sxs card intergrity checker (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/146000-sony-sxs-card-intergrity-checker.html)

Darren Vallence March 17th, 2009 02:45 AM

sony sxs card intergrity checker

Hi, as we now know a sony 16gb sxs card let me down. I had to push sony real hard to tell them that its all there kit so they are to blame. Is there a sony sxs card intergrty checker so on occasions I can check my cards integrity out in a test rather than a official shoot?

Regards

Darren

Brian Cassar March 17th, 2009 04:51 AM

Could you kindly indicate what happened with your 16GB SxS card and the footage?

John Hedgecoe March 17th, 2009 06:16 AM

Do you format your cards in camera before each shoot?

Darren Vallence March 17th, 2009 06:19 AM

sxs problem

Lost Clips on EX3 SxS card... Well this is pretty serious then. I have just come back from filming a wedding, 2 camera shoot. I have 4 x 16gb cards and 4 x 8gb cards, a ex1 and a ex3.

On occasions I have had to restore media, it tells me to do so, I do and all is good. I filmed the wedding yesterday and was backing up the chips onto the 2 hard drives as usual. Chip 1 of 16gb, good, next chip 2 well it said must restore media, I thought no worries will do, BUT it does not come up with the execute option to do so, it just says I have to do it. So it just sits there telling me, but I cannot do it. Just a small icon of the sxs card on the VF and says restore media

. Anyway I put it to thumb nail, and it says “ Media Error, Media A needs to be restored” But it will not let me do it. I put it in the ex1 with the old firmware and it does show the clips in player mode. It shows all the clips there and every now and then it shows a black picon, maybe 6 or 7 of them randomly placed for thumb nails When I cursor to them they say duration is none and file format Of this clip is 1080i 60i. I film in 50i like the rest of the pal guys. I can’t select the clip either. It says it has no duration And is the wrong format.

When the player trys to play the previous clip then rolls on to the bad clip it says can’t play media must be restored. Because the ex1 can see the clips and the ex3 which it was shot on doesn’t want to I had to go and copy clip by clip all the shots off the chip to another missing out the 7 random black clips. Lucky enough the service was on chip 1 and I have really only really missed the 5 minute first dance clip which could be serious but I had 2 cameras on that so I have it.

This is really really bad news and has knocked my ex3 experience and confidence for the future. I still have all the clips on the chip including the black 1080 60i no duration clips, can anyone give me any advice or tips on what to do, what could it of been and can I see those black clips somehow? If this was a corporate video on a 1 camera shoot, this would send my business down the drain. Even a wedding video if it went service bad I would have to give all the money back and loose reputation. I never had this problem with tape. Everybody please help.

and yes, I format fully the cards after each backup!

Leonard Levy March 17th, 2009 10:19 AM

Darren
did you hit the write protect tab before putting the SxS card in your computer?

What kind of computer and how do you download - drag and drop? Clip Browser?

Darren Vallence March 17th, 2009 10:30 AM

It did not make it that far to the computer, it would not play the clips in the ex3 before I went to the computer, the ex3 said i need to restore but it did not let me, there was no button that said restore like I have seen before!

Daz

Brian Cassar March 17th, 2009 11:24 AM

It seems that it is not the first time that the camera has asked you to restore media. Am I right? Did it happen before this wedding? If so there must be something wrong as it is not usual to have a "restore media" appearing at random.

Darren Vallence March 17th, 2009 01:20 PM

I must admit, recently it has been happening, but I paid no real attention to it at the time, I have 8 cards so it could of been anyone of the 8 cards so i did not concern.

I also thought that restore media was common place and its just simply cleaning up the metadata?

hmmm

daz

Brian Luce March 17th, 2009 02:39 PM

We have a similar problem with our EX3. Hopefully the latest firmware will fix it. You're right, it rattles confidence in the camera.

Alister Chapman March 17th, 2009 03:00 PM

You should only need to restore media if you do something to upset the data on the card. For example ejecting the card mid shot, unplugging the camera or card from a computer without ejecting or disconnecting the card via windows or the OS. Unexplained media restores should be investigated further as they are not normal. It could just be something simple like a dirty connection or something more serious.

Anthony McErlean March 17th, 2009 04:00 PM

Not being the owner of an EX3 I know nothing about this. So how serious is this?.
I see Brian Luce had a similar problem, Was it user error or something more serious.
You cant afford for this to happen at all, that is loosing some footage.

Mitchell Lewis March 17th, 2009 09:41 PM

How do you format your cards? In the camera or in the computer?

David Issko March 17th, 2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis (Post 1029463)
How do you format your cards? In the camera or in the computer?

in camera when required

David Issko March 17th, 2009 11:45 PM

Most of us know this but for the newcomers to the EX world, just ensure that you don't do anything to the camera or sxs cards while the red LEDs in the sxs card section are on. Wait until they are green before moving on to the next task.

Anthony McErlean March 18th, 2009 02:26 AM

I (soon) would be classed as a "newcomer to the EX world"

What about a "To do list" and/or a "Not to do list". Perhaps a new thread would be needed regarding this, perhaps its already posted somewhere. Only I thought but it could be an important one.

Denis OKeefe March 18th, 2009 01:24 PM

Salvage card

I had one occasion when the power went off in mid record on a 16 gig card. WHen I put it in the computer to copy it over some of the clips were missing, I don't recall if any were blacked out. In the browser software I got a prompt to "SALVAGE" the card in the original recording camera.
The exact wording escapes me, but with no choice I put the card back in the camera, got a salvage prompt, then a restore media prompt. Everything came back fine (insert large sigh of relief here).
If you still have the files on the card perhaps you can copy it in the camera to another card just to be safe, then try it in the browser to see if any weird prompts come up.
In my quick read of the thread it seems you've only looked at it in the EX 3 and the EX 1 - have you tried it in the computer/card reader?

Brendan Smith May 3rd, 2009 11:09 AM

Problems with restore

Hi folks,
Just found this thread after searching "restore" because files from one card wouldn't copy over to the Avid from the camera via USB. It too says "must restore," and with no options to do it. I then remembered flipping the little slider switch to lock to prevent data loss while shooting on the steam engine. Lot's going on in the cab course. I spaced it till now when doing data transfer. Slid the slider switch away from "lock" and started transfer. got 3/4 through the Xfr and then error messages started popping up with the remainder of files.

Not sure what to do now with the 15 or so clips that need to be restored.

Duncan Craig May 3rd, 2009 12:21 PM

Copy the data (the BPAV folder) onto your computer as a backup at this point. Put the protect tab in first though.

You should be able to play the mp4 files in something like VLC. And can also transcode these files to other files type, which you can edit with. At least I believe that's all possible...

Perhaps there another EX owner who can try a restore on a different camera.

Never had to do it myself yet though.

Dave Morrison May 3rd, 2009 03:46 PM

Does anybody actually know what the camera is doing to the card when it say it needs to be Restored? Has Sony ever said what causes this to happen and what is being "restored"?

Leonard Levy May 3rd, 2009 09:31 PM

I don't understand why Sony can't put the "restore media" function on a program that runs in your computer.

I recently had a card that was removed while rolling. I also got a restore media warning and the camera did that fine.
The hitch was that "clip browser 2.5" cannot see the restored clip which was 40 min long. I almost lost it altogether until I noticed the problem and copied with the finder.