DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Corrupted file I think (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/146113-corrupted-file-i-think.html)

Brian Barkley March 18th, 2009 12:36 PM

Corrupted file I think

I have shot over 60 indepth interviews with my EX-3 since purchasing it a few months ago. Everything has been fine until now. I have 75 separate files for one interview. Every time I try to import file number 65, Adobe Premiere locks up and shuts down and I have to reboot. Other files are fine, but this one file #65 continues to cause lockup . . . I assume because it is corrupt. But how and why did it become corrupt???

Funny thing is, the memory card plays back in the camera just fine . . .

Vincent Oliver March 18th, 2009 12:38 PM

Did you use ClipBrowser to transfer your files to a hard drive?

If the file is still on the cartd then try CB rather than opening direct from the card.

Patrick Williams March 18th, 2009 12:44 PM

If you still have it on the card, you might try copying the clip to another card in the camera. It would give you a new BPAV folder for one clip, but it might be worth it.

Brian Cassar March 18th, 2009 02:17 PM

Are you using Premiere on its own or are you using the Matrox Axio LE editing card as well? I see this issue everytime but I know that it is a bug from Matrox side and not Premiere side. It is Matrox 3.6 that has the bug - Matrox 4.0 has been corrected.

The "corrupted" file would have nothing different from the others - it just causes Premiere to shut down abruptly. I then convert it to MXF via the Clip Browser and all is fine!

In a typical 450 shots in a single assignment shoot I usually have anything between 1-3 such "corrupted" shots. Please note that no footage is lost - one has to convert them to MXF to continue working. But as I said this should be a Matrox + Premiere problem and not when using Premiere on its own.

FYI I always use the Clip Browser (with file transfer check) to transfer files and yet I see this problem.

Brian Barkley March 18th, 2009 03:55 PM

Yes, I have Matrox Axio. How do I know which version it is? Maybe that is the goat....
thanx

Brian Cassar March 19th, 2009 12:28 AM

Hi Brian, it's definitely the Axio that is causing the problem. See the following threads:

Matrox Axio User Forum :: View topic - unable to import MXF files

Matrox Axio User Forum :: View topic - importing EX1 files in Matrox project error

If you have CS3 then you have most likely the 3.6 version or below. Now Matrox have released the 4.0 but it is aimed only for those who have the CS4. The 4.0 release have solved this issue. Matrox have assured me that they are working on the 3.6 issue bug but considering Matrox past history it will take many more months before something is released. Initially I used to convert everything to MXF but I prefer working with native MP4 files. So until Matrox fixes this issue I'm taking great pains in finding and eliminating the offending clip - which basically kills any advantage gain with tapeless workflow as I end up wasting almost the same amount of time that used to be lost in tape capturing, searching for the clip!

So please do not worry about any file corruption - the file has nothing wrong - it's just that the Axio detects something that doesn't like in that clip and causes Premiere to crash in the most abysmal way!

As regards to finding out which version, I could not remember at the moment! I think there is a program Matrox Utils under Programs but I'm not sure....

In fact if you import the same batch of files in a Premiere based project (not Axio's) you will notice that all the clips are imported without any crashing!

Otherwise I love the Axio + Premiere combination.

Derek Reich March 19th, 2009 08:19 AM

I probably should start a new thread for this, but I have had a possible corruption issue myself which has left me somewhat disturbed. My situation was completely different than Brian's however.

I was on a shoot recently, and had filled all my SxS cards, and switched to my SDHC (Transcend 16GB class 6 with MxR adapter before anyone asks). All went well as we shot talent on-cameras. Later that evening, I was downloading all the files using Clip Browser (version 2 before anyone asks) and CRC enabled. All the files showed up in Clip Browser just fine, and all played just fine. All the files seemed to successfully transfer to the two separate LaCie Rugged drives I deliver to the client. However, when I tried to view the clips with XDCAM Transfer, one of the takes would not open and had no thumbnail. I can't remember the exact wording of the dialog box which came up, but something to the effect of 'no data for that file exists' or something. The same thing happened to the same clip on the other drive. I then loaded the clip a third time onto a third drive, and the same thing happened.
Why would a clip which successfully transferred with Clip Browser and CRC (and which played just fine in Clip Browser) not be recognized by File Transfer? That is the app which the client uses to bring the clips into FCP. Fortunately, that particular take was not a particularly good one, so it's not a big deal with respect to that clip.... but I definitely do not want to have this repeated again.
Any ideas?