XDCAM Editing Sofware: need help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 18th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Major Player

XDCAM Editing Sofware: need help

Hello all...

I was wondering if any of you out there that do XDCAM EX editing....could recommend a good low cost ($300.00 to $700.00) program that would support the XDCAM files?

I just got a Sony Vaio laptop, that has Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 (2.4GHZ) Centrino 2 processor with 4GB of ram, 250 gig HD (5400rpm). I just want something in case I get a client that wants me to do some lite editing....and I have experience with the AVID News Cutter program...so I do know a little about computer editing.

thanks
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Try Edius 5. Excellent realtime editor.

Will do anything you want it to, drag the EX files from the Sony Clip Browser straight into the bin, then drag them onto the timeline. Edit! Simple!

Excellent forum at grassvalley for assistance.

Download the trial and see how you go.

Cheers

Vaughan Wood
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Premiere Pro will do the same thing.

You can import the BPAV folders directly into Premiere and start editing immediately with no trans coding/re wrapping.

I've edited stuff on my MacBook Pro in Windows with a 2.6 Core 2 Duo processor and 4 GB of ram.
Old March 19th, 2009, 05:42 AM   #4
Major Player

As does Vegas Pro 8, naturally.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Go take a look at the forums for each of the above mentioned software and look through the posts. Make your determination based upon which seems to have the most helpful and dedicated User Group. That alone will be worth it's weight in gold.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have some of top the main PC windows based apps:
Edius 5
Prem CS4
Vegas 8.0 pro

i have used them all with my EX1 and although they all work there is one clear winner for me..

EDIUS 5.01 wins hands down - ease of use, speed, functionality
Prem cs4 is 2nd - slower work flow
Vegas is last - EX1 MP4 needs to be rewrapped to MXF and ease of use is IMHO the worst

this is of course my opinion :)
Matt San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Interesting...

I've played with Avid a bit (and didn't like it), used Premiere Pro exclusively for quite a while (and fought with it), and finally switched to Vegas in the later days of version 6. Now, I use Vegas 8 exclusively, and prefer it to Premiere Pro hands down.

Vegas 8 does require a re-wrap. However, to edit the files you have to copy them to your drive anyway. The re-wrap costs me only a few seconds on most clips (the error-checking is what adds the time to the data transfer) and I dont' really notice the delay. ClipBrowser Export is how I copy my files over, and if I'm in a big hurry, I use version 1.0 with no error checking and it is really quite fast.
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #8

My own choices are:

First, Avid Media Composer-with v3.5, you can bring BPAV folders straight into the timeline without waiting.
Second, Edius 5
Not even 3rd: I have Vegas but I never use it anymore
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Avid also sells Liquid which works really well with MXF footage and sits right in your price-point.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Willian,
PP doesn´t export to MXF or MP4. So you can´t save in XDCAM discs or SxS cards.
You can edit but can´t save in original format.
Vegas can´t import MP4 from EX-1. And if you re-wrap you change the EX-1 file from 1920x1080 to 1440x1080. But you can export MXF files directly to XDCAM discs.
You need more than one software to do all that you need. At least with a PC.
I don´t use Edius.
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #11
Major Player

"Vegas can´t import MP4 from EX-1. And if you re-wrap you change the EX-1 file from 1920x1080 to 1440x1080."

1st part is true for now you must rewrap files to MXF but second part is not.... The very first version of clipbrowser software only exported at 1440x1080 that was back when you could barely get a camera when they first came out over a year ago now... The latest version of clip browser exports full 1920x1080 MXF files for use in Vegas or any other app use it every day without any issues!
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #12
Major Player

what Am I doing wrong??????

OK guys...I downloaded the free trial version of Avid Media Composer v3.5...and after a long install, I was able to get it to read my KxK and SXS cards and did some light editing.

BUT as I pulled out the cards...the video disappeared and in its place was "No Media", and if I put the card back....all the video came back...

So what am I doing wrong?
Old March 20th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #13
Major Player

You need to copy the footage to your harddrive, creating a scpecific folder to lable and keep your footage in is best. The defualt folder on your cards will always be BPAV so you must create a new folder named whatever you want to help identify your footage and then copy the BPAV folder to it. Once it is on your harddrive you will be fine to edit with... If you try and edit off the cards when you eject a card the footage will go offline... Hope this helps.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #14
Major Player

Avid Media Composer is well over $2000. I thought your price range was $300 to $700?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #15
Trustee

Edius 5 with HDspark card for HDTV monitor viewing all for $899. Used this NLE last weekend on a friends computer. Worked great.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds