Unhappy with EX3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Closed Thread

Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:27 PM   #16
Major Player

Awful lot of broadcast professionals using this camera every day might disagree with some of your conclusions.

I use it almost every day and do not agree with your summary of the camera, however if the quality of the image doesn't meet your expectations then perhaps you should have tried the camera before buying, I know I did.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:39 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hughes View Post
Good enough they are used as a B camera on Dexter to hang with the F23. Great article/interview with the DP from the show in American Cinematographer this month. Thats less than 1% of the cost of an F23 and they run it on the show - pretty wild.
Not bad. F23 is top drawer. That's like being third leg on 4x100 Relay team with Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:01 AM   #18
Major Player

A videographer friend paid $20,000 for his lense alone ... his camera package cost him almost $150,000.

You and I paid under $10,000 for a camera that included the lense. I do not see how we can complain about something as cheap as the EX-3 is.

I have zero complaints about my EX-3. It is truly an incredible camera for the price.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:44 PM   #19
Major Player

My back yard consisted of a clothes line and a pergola.

So you are only shooting your back yard clothes line and a pergola?

This is a stupid complaint. I just spent 10 weeks shooting four hours every day throughout India and China - I can hardly see one bad shot caused by the Ex3. The only bad shots are usually due to the camera operator not compensating for their equipment. I suggest you spend an extra $100,000 and get the camera you need to shoot your backyard clothes lines.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:58 PM   #20
Major Player

Gotta add how much this camera saved my butt today. Had a shoot where we needed to shoot luma keys full body. We had to do it onsite as well and it definitely should have been a studio shoot. Without the massive amount of control under picture profile I would have not been able to pull it off. What was wild is I was able to drop out almost all sat inside the screen while where I'll garbage matte (the walls) still had all their color. Pretty awesome!
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:53 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I have an EX1, not an EX3...but I can tell you the video I've taken in my back yard has been incredible. Try shooting in your front yard and see if that works better for you.
Old March 24th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #22
Trustee

The photographer's art- his "trick" if you will, still or motion, is to get the viewer to look at what he wants you to see. Next time you're at a movie try looking where you're not supposed to- at the background, the edges of the frame, etc. It's hard to do, but you'll see all sorts of interesting junk- motion artifacts, distortion, and so forth. That's why it's called photography, not reality. You would seldom be filming clothes lines and poles without including a specific object of regard that advances your story. A little bowing goes without notice, because it is usually incidental to what the viewer is looking at. As has been stated, photography is an interpretive art, and the camera is just the tool. The Ex 1&3 are on a par with the best of these tools. I think that the more you use it, the more you will appreciate it.
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Michael has not re-visted the site since making his post, but the 20-odd replies you've all given will hopefully assist other folks who might share his opinion for some reason. Thanks for your input; I think we're pretty much finished here. If Michael Lyas wants to respond, he should contact me offline and I'll re-open the thread.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds