DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Installing V1.11 yourself (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/146465-installing-v1-11-yourself.html)

Leonard Levy March 23rd, 2009 11:20 PM

Installing V1.11 yourself

I downloaded the firmware upgrade v1.11 while it was briefly available a few months ago, but never got around to doing the install.
People here all testified that it was easy to do yourself.

I just opened the files though and it looks like they may be PC only. I'm on a MAC.
Can this be done from a MAC or do I need to send my camera out and spend money I don't have for no good reason.
- Lenny

Steve Shovlar March 24th, 2009 01:40 AM

I wouldn't attempt it on a Mac. I remember reading about someone using a windows emulator on a mac to install 1.11 and it crashed. the result was a $1000+ bill to fix the EX1. Find a friends PC and do it.

Ned Soltz March 24th, 2009 08:05 AM

Well, I did it on a MacBook Pro using Windows XP under BootCamp and did not brick the camera. I suspect that the incident in question is unrelated to platform. Having said that, I would still spring for the fee and have Sony do the job. They will give your camera a once-over, adjust backfocus and generally make certain that it is in optimal condition.

Dean Sensui March 24th, 2009 04:08 PM

I would agree with Ned.

You have to carefully weigh the price of the firmware update versus the cost of messing it up.

Andy Schocken March 24th, 2009 04:21 PM

It's not the cost of the firmware upgrade- $100 is negligible. It's the cost of being without your camera for 2-4 weeks that you have to weigh. I recently drove my camera to the Teaneck NJ facility for the fastest turnaround, and they said it would be ready in 12 business days. That's nearly three weeks- I drove it back home with me. If it costs $1000 to fix a bricked camera, that doesn't sound like such an expensive risk compared to what it will cost me to rent a camera for 3 weeks.

Ned Soltz March 24th, 2009 08:15 PM

Andy, Interesting that Teaneck quoted you 12 days. I called them a few days in advance and then took my EX-3 there for the firmware upgrade. Dropped off the camera at 9 am and it was done before noon. I had upgraded the EX-1 myself as I indicated. But the EX-3 firmware was never leaked and I seriously doubt if I would have done it myself again anyway.

Ned

Andy Schocken March 25th, 2009 09:31 AM

Did they give you some sort of appointment? The lady I talked to on the phone said she couldn't do that. She estimated 3-5 days, then when I took it out there, the guy said 12 days.

As infuriating as this situation is for the customer, I don't even understand what's in it for Sony. They're not really making any money off of it, with the labor costs and shipping, so why not make everyone happy and let us do the update ourself? If someone screws up and bricks their camera, then they can send it in to be updated properly by Sony.

Ned Soltz March 25th, 2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Schocken (Post 1033290)
Did they give you some sort of appointment? The lady I talked to on the phone said she couldn't do that. She estimated 3-5 days, then when I took it out there, the guy said 12 days.

As infuriating as this situation is for the customer, I don't even understand what's in it for Sony. They're not really making any money off of it, with the labor costs and shipping, so why not make everyone happy and let us do the update ourself? If someone screws up and bricks their camera, then they can send it in to be updated properly by Sony.

The woman I spoke with put me in touch directly with a contact in Teaneck. He confirmed an appointment with me and I was able to drop off the camera while on a quick jaunt to NY. I don't know whether it was the person with whom I spoke, the extended warranty I purchased, the fact that I was coming from out of town or that since puberty no woman has ever refused me.

Ned

Craig Seeman March 25th, 2009 07:53 PM

Andy, as a fellow Brooklynite I can tell you I got similar treatment. Drove my EX1 in to Teaneck for firmware upgrade and it took nearly 3 weeks . . . and they mucked it up. I had to drive the camera back and THAT time they did it while I waited.

I don't think Sony is guarding the firmware upgrade to make the $100. I believe the firmware itself can be hacked to add more features and for that reason they won't even allow other Sony authorized service centers to get the firmware.