Purchasing a New XDCAM HD Ex-1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 31st, 2009, 05:54 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Rotate the handle 90 degrees and cradle the body of the camera with your left hand underneath.

Works best this way with the flip-out monitor.

kj
Kevin Wayne Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:30 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I use a CAVision shoulder mount and made a plexiglas holder for my wireless receiver as well as the battery for the camera light. While you're still supporting the weight of the camera with your arms, it takes the torsion off the wrist and helps stabilize the camera.

Also, having the wireless receiver on the back of the shoulder mount means that weight isn't being added to the camera.

I saw a photo of JVC's HD camera and that design seems to be ergonomically nicer than either the EX1 or the EX3. However, I don't know what the performance is like.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:03 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Man, that EX1 is serious! I'm considering buying one but I need to get a reality check on the costs I'm going to be confronted with other than the camera itself. Any input? Also, I have a barely used XL2 with many accessories. Are the batteries compatible with the EX1?
Charles Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:29 AM   #19
Major Player

If you read a lot of posts on this forum, the most frequent problem with the EX1 and the EX3 seems to be trying to get quality SD DVDs from footage shot with them.

To date, no good consensus appears to have been established. Many are ending up with SD DVDs that look worse than footage shot with SD cameras. You might want to search and read all those posts. Factor in the software you will be using as well to accomplish the task. NO single software seems to have an advantage over another in terms of trying to get decent SD DVD out of EX1 / EX3 footage. All have their advantages and drawbacks in this regard apparently.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:06 AM   #20
Vortex Media

Just for the record, I've had absolutely no problems getting great looking DVDs produced from XDCAM EX footage using nothing more than FCP and Compressor. No complaints at all. I guess it all depends on your workflow.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:33 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Handheld EX1?

For longer handheld requirements I've found an easy handheld solution for me has been a monopod, a stout fannypack, and a camera strap. Monopod needs to have a fairly decent head that will tilt back with a little friction. I place the bottom of the monopod in a fannypack ( or belly, waist, hip pack for you britts) with a small piece of foam or towel ( so the bottom of pod doesn't eventually wear through the pack). I place the camera strap either around my neck or under my opposite arm. For safety, my right hand never leaves the lens/grip.

Will probably upgrade to flag holder belt attachment someday.
Kevin Cates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:34 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Barkley View Post
It is much more the professional camera.
IMHO we can do with slightly less of that kind of statement here. Professionals choose their tools carefully. Judging things by physical size is as silly as judging the camera operator by their codpiece.

Better to say that the EX3 allows more options for lenses and offers a more traditional set of ergonomics, at the expense of physical bulk and 'presence'.

You can just about get away with filming with an EX1, or carrying an EX1 kit aboard a plane, where you can't get away with with an EX3. Where you can go with a Z1, you can go with an EX1 yet still get exactly the same results as an EX3 with the standard lens.

The EX3 is more flexible, not more 'professional'. Sigh.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:02 PM   #23
Major Player

Another newish EX1 user here. Using Compressor to down convert to SD and I'm very happy with it.

I've shot several UK commercials with it and a few corporates all edited in SD. No jaggies, field issues or compression problems.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:57 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Craig View Post
Another newish EX1 user here. Using Compressor to down convert to SD and I'm very happy with it.

I've shot several UK commercials with it and a few corporates all edited in SD. No jaggies, field issues or compression problems.
I couldn't agree with you more...I shot a few clips with my new ex1 (1080p24) and compressed it into a SD-DVD via Final Cut Pro...I was blown away with the quality!!...I shot outdoors so it was easier getting that so called "film" look, but shooting indoor was just as good!!
Akbar Ukani is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds