EX3/EX1 sync at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 25th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #1
New Boot

EX3/EX1 sync

I know I know I hear you all say if you wanted to sync the two cameras together for multi camera shoots then I should of bought two EX3s.

But the budget available would only take me to one x ex3 and one x ex1

So now Ive got them and been out on a few multi camera shoots ,Im not best pleased with my methods of trying to keep synced with these two cameras.

Ive tried timecode free run and set the clocks off at the same time ,Ive tried setting the timecode preset to clock but both methods seem to drift out of sync.
Have any of you got any get arounds for keeping a ex1 in sync with a ex3.
Any tips would be appreciated.
David Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Actually this is a good question. I'm going to be working with a similar situation - ex1/ex3 multicam.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #3
New Boot

Basicly, you need a TBC, Time Base Corrector/Syncronizer. Back in the day.... we used $20k (cheap) units to sync cameras and other sources to a switcher. Today they can be had for a lot less.
How to Synchronize Multiple Cameras to a Video Switcher - wikiHow

Try Ebay for some ideas. You need a TBC syncronizer.
tbc video, Cameras Photo, Computers Networking items on eBay.com

Problem is these are all NTSC.....

You need something more like this
http://www.for-a.com/products/catego...e_base_co.html

The problem is, all your solutions are expensive.
George Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Thompson View Post
Basicly, you need a TBC, Time Base Corrector/Syncronizer. Back in the day.... we used $20k (cheap) units to sync cameras and other sources to a switcher. Today they can be had for a lot less.
How to Synchronize Multiple Cameras to a Video Switcher - wikiHow

Try Ebay for some ideas. You need a TBC syncronizer.
tbc video, Cameras Photo, Computers Networking items on eBay.com

Problem is these are all NTSC.....

You need something more like this
FOR-A Product InformationFS & TBC-

The problem is, all your solutions are expensive.

I'm assuming that David has addressed this issue for live multicam recording?? Not for post production?
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I don't see any problem with multicam to a switcher - Some switchers you don't need genlock just video out from each cam. Some of the new HD switchers are the same. In the past, it was much more time consumed with timing, SC adjusments.

For postproduction, it's easier when you let each cam record the whole time. And need one time to set up the sync between the clips.
Tuy Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #6
Major Player

Do it the way Hollywood has been doing for the past 80 years . . . use a clapstick . . .
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bass View Post
Ive tried timecode free run and set the clocks off at the same time ,Ive tried setting the timecode preset to clock but both methods seem to drift out of sync.
Have any of you got any get arounds for keeping a ex1 in sync with a ex3.
Any tips would be appreciated.
wow. that's good to know. i wonder how often this happens. i'm planning a 3 camera(EX1) shoot next sunday and i was just going to set the clocks together if we couldn't find a Smart Slate. YIKES!!!!
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #8
New Boot

update

Ive seemed to have set the ex1 clock to the same time as the ex3 more accurately this time.
It seems to be nearer the actual seconds and frames this time .
Will let you know if there is any drift as Im off on a 2 camera shoot .

When I get back I want to know if the clocks will be put out of sync if I were to use overcranking or undercranking?

Anyone tried this?
David Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #9
Major Player

TC sync

We've done a number of projects mixing EX1 and EX 3 cameras and found there was less drift when we set the CLOCK to the real time and used that, rather than set a timecode number and free run from there. There always seems to be some drift but it is easy enough to sync in FCP multicam mode that it has not been a great headache.
Firing a camera flash at your subject at the beginning of record gives you a nice visual sync mark too.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Barkley View Post
Do it the way Hollywood has been doing for the past 80 years . . . use a clapstick . . .
Or in a pinch your hands. "Clap"!
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #11
Major Player

If free run doesn't have tight enough sync, you can sync the two cameras together, at least I think so.

Run a cable from the composite video out on the ex1 to the ext sync input on the Ex3. The two cameras are now in sync.
Old March 26th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #12
Regular Crew

In the past when we were trying to use more than one camera and then finish the two or three camera edit we synced our cameras by pointing all three at one location where one of our folks held up a small digital camera and made a flash picture. We would do this about one minute before the event began and then kept the cameras running. When doing the edit we just put the three cameras each on a separate time line in Edius and then lined them up by finding the frame with the flash on it. We had to be careful not to turn off the cameras for the whole event or if we did we would sync them with another flash before recording again.
Kinda crude but it worked.

Take care

Ronnie Martin
Page 1
Old April 4th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #13
New Boot

Did anybody try use remote controller to sync between same model like two EX1Rs?
Hirata Tomoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I do multi-EX1 recordings of live music events regularly. All we do is start the TC (free run) at 1-2-3, just to have them close. We also record a clapper an all cameras

During editing, it's very easy to synchronize them with pin-point accuracy by the waveforms, using the clapper sound.

Never had a problem.
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I see the virtue of sync.
Cameras with synced internal freerun clocks can have their clips easily and automatically placed on a timeline.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds