what the heck is "overcrank"? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 25th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

what the heck is "overcrank"?

I have had numerous users post use the word "overcrank" when it comes to sony's phu60k or the SHDC memory card option....Can someone please define to me what in the world is "overcrank"....Thanks
Akbar Ukani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

overcrank - my posts when someone says they're not using ClipBrowser with CRC on.

It's a film term dating back to when cameras were hand cranked. The cranking the camera faster (or slower) would change the film playback in the projector which was at 16fps (or 24fps depending on the time period referred to).

Set EX to 720p24 p25 p30 and use S&Q and set to a faster frame rate which results in slower playback.

Of course one can learn this and many other things when using Google.
Slow motion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Craig Seeman; March 26th, 2009 at 08:12 AM.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Craig you must be an "oldie" like me.
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Simply put, the intent of overcrank is to get the slow motion look. It is effectively done by increasing the frame rate.

A typical scenario would be to double the frame rate. So if you are in North America shooting at 29.97 (30) frames a second you would set your EX camera to 60 frames using S&Q mode at 720/60. The big caveat that some people don't know or forget is that to get effective frame rate increases on the EX you have to be shooting in 720 and not 1080.

You can "apparently" shoot up to 42 frames of overcrank on the SDHC cards but most (read almost all) people use genuine SxS cards for "slomo" work. It's not worth the risk of dropping frames. The Sony hardisk recorder has the same bandwidth limitations as the SDHC cards so I would avoid using that as well for slomo shooting.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
overcrank - my posts when someone says they're not using ClipBrowser with CRC on.
Ok, Craig, now that I've stopped chuckling (sorry to hijack your thread, Akbar), I've been asking this over on another thread, but as long as you brought it up, why is it imperative to use CB when copying the entire BPAV folder. The Sony CB manual states only that, "To archive media from an SxS card to hard disc or other media, the Sony XDCAM EX ClipBrowser application must be used. Copying individual clips via the Macintosh Finder will result in unusable media on the target drive."

It doesn't say anything about not using the Mac Finder to copy the whole folder.

Is there a technical rationale against using the Finder to copy the whole folder?
Old March 26th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #6
Trustee

OMG!! You just woke up a ticking time bomb. (wait to Craig reads this!) hehehehe
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Is there a technical rationale against using the Finder to copy the whole folder?
Is there a technical rationale for wearing seat belts? (in a world where people use smilies I should create snarlies).

ClipBrowser uses CRC which verifies the copy. ShotPut does this too.
The rationale is that you don't want to have to pay for the re-shoot or lose the client due to a corrupted master file.

As I heard yet another Sony rep say, entirely unprovoked by anyone even asking the question. "NEVER drag and drop folders or files. Use ClipBrowser!"
I have a hunch he was sick and tired of the support phone calls asking how to rescue a corrupted master clip.
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post

As I heard yet another Sony rep say, entirely unprovoked by anyone even asking the question. "NEVER drag and drop folders or files. Use ClipBrowser!"
Well, it's not a technical rationale, but it does get one's attention.
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #9
Inner Circle

The technical rationale is CRC. ClipBrowser and ShotPut do file verification.

Generally if you want to decrease the risk of technical problems you use ClipBrowser.
A corrupt file is a technical problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_redundancy_check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chandler View Post
Well, it's not a technical rationale, but it does get one's attention.
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akbar Ukani View Post
I have had numerous users post use the word "overcrank" when it comes to sony's phu60k or the SHDC memory card option....Can someone please define to me what in the world is "overcrank"....Thanks
what is Google?
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Why does overcrank 60 fps use up to 80 Mbs when 720/60p use 35 Mbps?

Does overcrank give a better image, frame by frame, or what?
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #12
Inner Circle

It's probably about 87.5Mbps at 24/60fps.

Playback will then be approximately 35mbps at the flagged playback rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverker Hahn View Post

Old March 30th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverker Hahn View Post

Firstly, ignoring overcrank, it's important to realise that normal 720p/50 doesn't require twice the datarate of 720p/25 for the same quality per frame - key to realise is that the extra 25 frames are very similar to the original 25 per second. Hence if differences are coded, the extra information to yield the extra 25 frames is far less than required to code the first 25.

A good analogy would be building a house - if it costs £x to build a house, it will cost far less than 2x£x in building costs to build another of twice floor area.

Overcrank is different - the end playback is 25fps, which should be at 35Mbs. Record 50frames in a second, and you have to record at 70Mbs to give the correct data rates for playback.
David Heath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds