Product Life Cycle of EX-1/EX-3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 27th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #16
Major Player

shoulder mount EX5 or something would make sense. Then you could choose.

1) Hand held EX1
2) Semi shoulder EX3
3) Full shoulder EX5
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:19 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
I am not aware of any new EX cameras on the near horizon, however, since we are less than a month from NAB, you might want to wait until then before making your decision.
Can I take it nothing new regarding the EX1/3 was announced.

Its safe to buy.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Can I take it nothing new regarding the EX1/3 was announced.

Its safe to buy.
Red is getting closer to Scarlet release. Rumor mill says October at $3,750. They had a mock up under plexiglass in Vegas.

For the EX series, probably not much will change other than price drop. There are already Bstock EX's drifting into the market.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:49 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
For the EX series, probably not much will change other than price drop. There are already Bstock EX's drifting into the market.
Thanks Brian, I thought the EXs had went up in price.(Europe)
Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:13 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thanks Brian, I thought the EXs had went up in price.(Europe)
I haven't been following too closely but typically camera prices drop as the technology becomes mature and new models wait in line.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:21 PM   #21
Trustee

Thanks again Brian, wanted to wait for NAB before I bought, just in case.
So if I want to buy, theres no reason not to, except for the £££$$$$ :)

Thanks.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:29 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
So if I want to buy, theres no reason not to, except for the £££$$$$ :)
Make darn sure that you have the latest firmware in either model. Save yourself lost time and expense by NOT having to send it back to an authorized Sony depot. There are only a few depots worldwide that are capable of doing the upgrade, at least that is Sony's story.

EX5 is an interesting concept???
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:41 PM   #23
Major Player

I just returned from NAB, and the JVC GY-HM700U looked to be superior to the Sony EX-3 . . . and it's $1,500.00 cheaper.

I own an EX-3, and am thinking of selling it so as to buy the JVC. I never thought I would say that, but the JVC is an awesome camera for the price. I have never seen an image like that in that price range.

Check it out . . . JVC Professional Features page
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:33 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Barkley View Post
I just returned from NAB, and the JVC GY-HM700U looked to be superior to the Sony EX-3 . . . and it's $1,500.00 cheaper.

I own an EX-3, and am thinking of selling it so as to buy the JVC. I never thought I would say that, but the JVC is an awesome camera for the price. I have never seen an image like that in that price range.

A bunch of us were throwing around ideas about this camera when it was announced some weeks ago. There is a thread here on it...

There are a lot of appealing things about the camera: form factor, ergos, button placement, size but it is a 1/3" camera. I wouldn't call it a better camera it is different and certainly has a lot of ENG style ergos going for it and button placement that makes you wish Sony wouldn't feel obliged to hobble the usability of the EX cameras so they push some into buying their more expensive ENG line of cams.

It is nice but Panasonic has now come out with a cheapo ENG style 1/3" camera as well. You can't pitch HD cable channels with footage on 1/3" cameras. No go.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:35 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:

Does it produce a better image?
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:45 PM   #26
Trustee

I hope Sony bring a shoulder mount EX series camera. I have to say that the image from my EX1 is far cleaner than any 1/3" camera, period. You can't compare 1/3" to 1/2'. Just as with 1/2" to 2/3".
The larger the chip the cleaner the image, in all areas.

The only thing I dont like is the small form factor like the EX1. I do a lot of moving about and it takes just that little bit longer to set up and also I just want a shoulder mount. If the F350 and all the extra bits needed was in my price range I would have gone for that but sadly "with a smile though" my budget brought me to the EX1.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Thanks for that info too.

Dose the EX3 VFinder slide over far enough for a left eye operator.

Thanks all again.
Old April 24th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Does it produce a better image?
No, it doesn't. Nowhere near. Considering the price of it you are paying more than any of the EX cameras, plus you need a battery system. It produces 800TVL max compared with 1000TVL of the EX, it is also a lot noisier.

This is a real shame as I was looking forward to the JVC models. But they are not a patch on the recorded final picture of the EX.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds