Speedy file transfer to PC EX1/EX3 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 28th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Speedy file transfer to PC EX1/EX3 ?

Has anyone found the FASTEST way to get the MP4 files off the media (SxS, SDHC) and into a PC desktop system?

I find ANY of the USB type connections to be tediously slow.

I have looked for a Firewire, eSATA, PCIe type solution which all have higher bandwidths for data transfer.

so.... has anyone got a good solution to this sloooow transfer??

thx in advance for any ideas.
Matt San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #2
Trustee

A laptop with an Express Card slot has proven to be the fastest way to transfer. But then you have to move the files to your editing system.
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

yea I am familair with this solution but I need a proper PC based solution
Matt San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #4
Major Player

doesn't anybody make a desktop PC with express card slot?
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have this drive in my editing PC:
PCI Express to ExpressCard 34|54 Slot Drive Read-Writer Front, Synchrotech

Works great; the only caveat being it's not hot-swappable (BIOS/OS - dependent). But if I remember to insert an SxS card while first booting, as long as I don't switch my PC off but put it to sleep instead, it's OK.

And very, very fast!
Old March 28th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

well you have to put numbers in perspective. As advised for this adapter :
" The PCIe 1X configuration allows for the full 250MB/s (megabytes unidirectional) throughput for PCIe based ExpressCards, while the USB 2.0 configuration allows USB 2.0 ExpressCards to operate at their 60MB/s speed"

Ok, but The SxS speed is anyway not bigger than 100MB/s, so usb at 60MB/s is not so slow. and this is even worse for SDHC,even if you got the fastest one (between 30-40MB/s), USB speed still outperform the card speed by 2x.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
I have this drive in my editing PC:
PCI Express to ExpressCard 34|54 Slot Drive Read-Writer Front, Synchrotech

Works great; the only caveat being it's not hot-swappable (BIOS/OS - dependent). But if I remember to insert an SxS card while first booting, as long as I don't switch my PC off but put it to sleep instead, it's OK.

And very, very fast!
This solution looks great!.. As I understand, it works fast with SxS cards. Will it also work as well with SDHC cards inside MxM/MxR adapters?..
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Spektor View Post
Will it also work as well with SDHC cards inside MxM/MxR adapters?..
SDHC cards and their respective adapters use the USB interface which isn't as fast as the PCI interface that the SXS Pro cards use. So when it's time to transfer clips from the SDHC cards the speed bottleneck will be between the SDHC card and the adapter. I don't know how long it takes to transfer clips from a full 16 Gbyte SDHC card using an Express 34 interface but a straight drag and drop from the same sized SxS Pro card takes about 5.5 min. on my Macbook Pro.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:28 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois View Post
well you have to put numbers in perspective. As advised for this adapter :
" The PCIe 1X configuration allows for the full 250MB/s (megabytes unidirectional) throughput for PCIe based ExpressCards, while the USB 2.0 configuration allows USB 2.0 ExpressCards to operate at their 60MB/s speed"

Ok, but The SxS speed is anyway not bigger than 100MB/s, so usb at 60MB/s is not so slow. and this is even worse for SDHC,even if you got the fastest one (between 30-40MB/s), USB speed still outperform the card speed by 2x.
You seem to be forgetting that it's very difficult to obtain a sustained transfer speeds of this sort from USB; some 20-30 MBps seems to be a maximum. While with PCIe, I'm getting some 95 MBps average speed when transferring large files of ca. 4GB each from my SxS cards!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds