Just Tried 3 Transcend 32GB SDHC Cards - All Good - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:13 PM   #16
Major Player

I just don't know how anyone can trust these cheaper cards with their clients money when having to make sure they complete a project. These cards are questionable. There is a reason you pay a premium for the SxS cards, granted I know that a good chunk of it is marked up...

Too much of a price gap for me to believe that is's ok to throw away the SxS and go for the MxR cards.

I could be wrong though.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:11 PM   #17
Major Player

Why should SxS be any better? The SxS recording data rate can be higher, but has any proven the are much more reliable? They are flash still just flash memory right?

Why should these USB2 adaptors be any less reliable? Because it's USB2? Sony added the USB functionality to allow their HD recorder to work with the EXs.

Because it's SD cards? They're a well proven technology. Bombproof.

Because the data rate of SDHC is too low? The SD cards easy handle the 35Mb/s that the HQ formats require. Overcrank works to an extent as well.

You haven't seen everyone complaining of lost data and media restore problem due to MxR adaptor, because it doesn't lose data. There have been a few reports of media restore messages, but none have proven to be the fault of MxR adaptors. More like operator error, pulling out cards before the red light goes off.

I've personally run quite a few cards through my EX1 now and had no issues. Lots of very short 5 second shots. Some timelapse, and some long 40 minute shots. No hiccups so far.

Weddings, corporates, commercials, hot and cold weather. Helicopter later this month.

Which part of the chain is going to fail first? The USB2 interface is Sony's work. SD cards are solid as a rock. I'd prefer MxR to Sony's USB2 HD any day.

Edit just to add, Most people use cheap stock in their HDV cameras, instead of Sony Pro HDV stuff. No one has ever proved the expensive stuff was better for them. I've never had an HDV dropout on Sony premium (cheap) stock.

Cheers, Duncan.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:06 PM   #18
Major Player

"I just don't know how anyone can trust these cheaper cards with their clients money when having to make sure they complete a project. These cards are questionable. There is a reason you pay a premium for the SxS cards........."

--------------------------------

Earliest portable calculators - around $850

Earliest CD ROM and DVD ROM drives - around $400

My first WD 40 MB Hard Drive cost me $225

Were those "better"?

There was a reason you paid a premium for those as well - monopolies and consumers willing to pay through the nose to have them.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:05 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Not trying to change the subject, but...

I was on the B&H site today looking for EX1 accessories and I noticed the SanDisk 16GB SxS card was $900. The Sony 16GB SxS card was $745. I was surprised as I would have expected the SanDisk to the cheaper of the two.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 10:55 PM   #20
New Boot

Transcend cards

Doh! Just read the first page of posts more carefully and found the link to MxR. Got it

E- Films Video Productions

Here's my original post:

I'm using the Sony SxS cards and pop them into the Express Card slot on my MacBook Pro. Will these Transcend cards work the same way?

Last edited by Chris Hurd; April 8th, 2009 at 09:06 AM.
Tom Van Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:06 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Van Dyke View Post
I'm using the Sony SxS cards and pop them into the Express Card slot on my MacBook Pro. Will these Transcend cards work the same way?
They do on my Sony Vaio laptop - seem to download faster than putting them in a usb reader and downloading thru USB port.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:21 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hedgecoe View Post
Not trying to change the subject, but...

I was on the B&H site today looking for EX1 accessories and I noticed the SanDisk 16GB SxS card was $900. The Sony 16GB SxS card was $745. I was surprised as I would have expected the SanDisk to the cheaper of the two.
There was a joint agreement between the two companies when it was developed. Not sure what was in the agreement.

Sony Global - Press Release - SANDISK AND SONY ANNOUNCE SxS MEMORY CARD SPECIFICATION FOR PROFFESIONAL CAMCORDERS

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds