DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony SBAC-US10 doesn't read MxR (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/152097-sony-sbac-us10-doesnt-read-mxr.html)

Serena Steuart April 2nd, 2009 04:45 AM

Sony SBAC-US10 doesn't read MxR

Daresay I missed this somewhere. Today found that the Sony SxS reader ignores the MxR Expresscard adapter. Is there a work-around? Probably why e-films have developed their own reader. Usually I download using the laptop, so I hadn't noticed.

Barry J. Anwender April 2nd, 2009 06:59 AM

Sony's SXS card/reader are designed strictly for the PCI-Express bus protocol. The MXR cards and other adapters are designed with the USB 2.0 protocol over the PCI-Express bus. Therefore, Sony's SXS reader would require a driver update so that you computer could recognize USB devices inserted into the Sony SXS reader.

Nick Wilson April 2nd, 2009 07:04 AM

I would guess not, unless the firmware can be updated. Sony and SanDisk SxS cards use PCI mode, as did the EX1 until firmware v1.11 enabled USB mode for the PHU-60K drive and let us use MXR. Presumably the US10 is PCI mode only.

Serena Steuart April 2nd, 2009 07:45 PM

That sounds right. I don't expect Sony will be offering that! Not really important since I run ShotPut Pro on the laptop to download to multiple HDD. Yesterday I ran a greenscreen setup test of a temporary nature and it was natural to dump straight into the editing suite via the US-10. I could have run the test onto SxS cards and will do so in future instances.

Bob Grant April 3rd, 2009 03:40 AM

I bought a "QPIX ALL-IN-1 Card Reader" for $18 from Officeworks. It is very small and works a treat. Be aware that some such devices will not work with SDHC cards, only SD cards.

Tito Haggardt April 3rd, 2009 02:37 PM

i am sure there is an easier way

I had the same problem getting clips into my NLE, avid MC. i could not figure out how to convert them to MXF. i am sure there is an easy way but i just don't know it. So i had to transfer the files to an SxS card and use the sony clip browser.

1) i shot about 10 seconds on a SxS card and put it in the reader.

2) i opened that 10 sec file, (BVAP? i forget), in that file there are 4 or 5 files one of which is a quicktime file. i deleted that file.

3) then i opened the file i had shot on the MxR and downloaded (16 gig sandisk with a card reader) onto an external hard drive. drilling down on that file i found the 16 gig Quicktime file of the event i shot. i copied that quicktime file into the place i had deleted the 10 second quicktime file on the SxS.

4)the browser then read the file and rewrapped it into a MXF file that my NLE could see. because the file was larger than the 8 gig SxS card i had to put a new SxS card in halfway. that was no problem and i did not have any lost frames.

i know its a clumsy and probably stupid work flow, but it got my files on my NLE and got me back to work. i will be glad if someone tells us how or recommends a tool to do it quicker but until then .....

i wrote to Ross Herewini the MxR guy (E-Films Video Productions) about putting some work flows for various NLEs on the FAQ page. he got back and said he thought that was a good idea and was preparing some to be posted. i think his first ones will be for final cut pro, but if he creates the place eventually all the options will be covered.

aloha

tito

Craig Seeman April 3rd, 2009 04:34 PM

I pull the SDHC card from the MxR and just pop it in to my Sandisk ImageMate 12 in 1 reader and ClipBrowser has no problem seeing that. You can get SDHC readers for as little as $7.

Tito Haggardt April 3rd, 2009 07:07 PM

Hi Craig

i don't have any problems reading the SDHC cards and i can play those files with my VLc media player. but i cannot get those files into my avid MC 3.0 because they need to be rewrapped as MXF files.

that is why i have to re-record them to the SxS cards so the browser can rewrap them, as MXF.

can you get the Sony browser software to see the files that have come off the SDHC cards? please tell me how, it would certainly make my life a better place.

aloha

tito

Barry J. Weckesser April 3rd, 2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tito Haggardt (Post 1048179)
Hi Craig

i don't have any problems reading the SDHC cards and i can play those files with my VLc media player. but i cannot get those files into my avid MC 3.0 because they need to be rewrapped as MXF files.

that is why i have to re-record them to the SxS cards so the browser can rewrap them, as MXF.

can you get the Sony browser software to see the files that have come off the SDHC cards? please tell me how, it would certainly make my life a better place.

aloha

tito

I have only had my PMW-EX1 for a couple of months now but I have not used the S x S cards only the SDHC in the MxR adaptor. I use Sony Clip Browser v. 2.0. I just point it to the removable drive letter that the clips are on and they popup in the explorer window and you are off and running. I don't need to rewrap to MXF since I use Edius Pro (5.01). (The drives or files that contain XDCAM-EX files are highlighted with little blue bars with a red "EX" underneath.)

In looking at the clip browser menus - you highlight the clips you want to export in the Explorer window - then go under File -> Export -> MXF for NLE's ->Export to - then select your destination folder.

Craig Seeman April 3rd, 2009 09:28 PM

ClipBrowser works just fine with SDHC cards. That's why I'm lost as to what's going on.
Put SDHC into any SDHC reader and ClipBrowser sees it. ClipBrowser doesn't care about the medium. If it's got a valid BPAV in a folder it reads it from any card, hard drive, optical disk, etc.

I don't do anything at all to get ClipBrowser to read the files. If you can read SxS you can read the BPAV from anything.

As Barry says, you just point to the container.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tito Haggardt (Post 1048179)
Hi Craig

aloha

tito

Tito Haggardt April 3rd, 2009 11:46 PM

well i will give it a try. i have upgraded my browser software to 2.5
so it should work. thanks
aloha
tito