DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 Picture Profiles (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/156609-ex1-picture-profiles.html)

Akbar Ukani April 3rd, 2009 03:58 PM

EX1 Picture Profiles

Hi All,...I must say that this ex-1 toy from sony I bought is just way too amazing...I switched from a JVC GY-HD200 and it just blows away the 200...JVC has taken a back seat in my book and it has served me well...If it's not a panasonic then its for me! =)

anyhow...I am still learning the whole thing; however, I was just curious if there are any sites out there or even books on different Picture profile settings which I can use or try for the Sony EX1...I don't mind paying for them.... Thank you..

Akbar Ukani April 27th, 2009 04:10 PM

Some assistance here with Picture Profiles...Please

Hey All,

I am in some need of some assistance here....I will be shooting my first asian wedding with an EX1..I will be using some tungsten soft lights and an LED White light mounted on the camera...(is this recommended...I can see why one would not recommend this)

The reception is going to be indoors and I am in need of some picture profile settings that can get me started...it is going to be a well lighted situation...I have checked out the venue and the camera with its standard operation gives me a yellowish look (in auto mode of course).....I am trying to cut that down more towards a "cooler" side...can anyone recommed me some picture profile settings....I can't operate the camera in manual mode because i'll be shooting it on the go

I saw there is a post for picture profile recipies...but i just get lost trying to go through hundreds of pages of post

any links or suggestions to get me that "rich" look would be appreciated...asian weddings tend of have a lot of colors...thanks

Mitchell Lewis April 27th, 2009 05:28 PM

PICTURE PROFILE SETTINGS:
Matrix>Setting:On
Matrix>Select: High SAT
Gamma>Select: CINE4
Black: -3
Black Gamma: -2
Detail: OFF (this is a subjective setting)

WHITE BALANCE (this is most important)
If you're not happy with the auto white balance, don't use it. Here's what I do. Set up 3 different Picture Profile settings all identical to shown above. Then set PP01 White>Preset: 5600k (outdoors). Set PP02 White>Preset 3200k (tungsten soft lights) Set PP03 White>Preset 4100k (fluorescent lights)

Your only other choice is Auto White Balance (which you're not happy with) or having an assistant follow you around with a white balance card so you can change your white balance for each scene/location.

Personally, I've gotten pretty good at quickly adjusting the White>Preset setting. But I don't shoot that many events, so you may have even less time than I do. :)

Akbar Ukani April 27th, 2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis (Post 1134142)
PICTURE PROFILE SETTINGS:
Matrix>Setting:On
Matrix>Select: High SAT
Gamma>Select: CINE4
Black: -3
Black Gamma: -2
Detail: OFF (this is a subjective setting)

WHITE BALANCE (this is most important)
If you're not happy with the auto white balance, don't use it. Here's what I do. Set up 3 different Picture Profile settings all identical to shown above. Then set PP01 White>Preset: 5600k (outdoors). Set PP02 White>Preset 3200k (tungsten soft lights) Set PP03 White>Preset 4100k (fluorescent lights)

Your only other choice is Auto White Balance (which you're not happy with) or having an assistant follow you around with a white balance card so you can change your white balance for each scene/location.

Personally, I've gotten pretty good at quickly adjusting the White>Preset setting. But I don't shoot that many events, so you may have even less time than I do. :)

Hi Mitchell...I really do appreciate your response...you said something that caught my attention about the ATW...Is there a problem with the EX1's ATW feature?...

Reason I ask is because I am having some issues with the ATW feature not working properly according to me...the ATW adjuststment are very inaccurate, inconsistent, and extremely slow in adjustment

Daniel Epstein April 30th, 2009 07:28 AM

As a general rule I would only use ATW as a last resort or if I know I am not going to want to switch my white balance from one setting to the other. Ie I might use it if going from indoors to outdoors.

Mitchell Lewis April 30th, 2009 07:52 AM

I never use auto white balance. Never have with any camera I've used over the years. I can't deal with the color shifting in the middle of a shot. You should always do one of two things:

1) Manually white balance every time your lighting situation changes (moving from indoors to outdoors for example)

2) Create some white balance presets and switch between them as I described above.

But, yes, there have been some complaints on this forum about the quality of the ATW function of the EX1/EX3 cameras.

Buck Forester April 30th, 2009 08:55 AM

In regards to auto white balance, it's not so much that the balance chosen is so bad (although it's not always great), but if you leave auto white balance on while you're moving around in different conditions, it just automatically changes in mid-shot which is very obvious.

If it's absolutely critical you're best to do a manual white balance with a card for each shot done under different lighting conditions. Otherwise I do what was mentioned above, have the same profile presets that I like and have three temperature versions of them depending on being outside or inside.

Leonard Levy April 30th, 2009 09:17 AM

AWB - auto white balance and ATW - (which I thinking is continuously varying auto white trace - don't have my manual in front of me) are different.

AWB works fine in the EX-1 and is a typical way to get a white balance. If you prefer using presets that OK but its a preference . i use both.

ATW or letting your white change constantly is only for dire use in difficult situations and people have complained about that on the EX-1 . I avoid it .

Also - you will find many exotic color balances on these pages , but you will be perfectly well served just using a standard gamma (I use std3), setting you black level down toward -4 or -6 and then using a hi sat matrix. You could also lower your detail form - 15 to -25 by taste. There's plenty more things you could change but that will give you a perfectly nice look.

Serena Steuart April 30th, 2009 10:36 PM

The PP you choose isn't critical and default settings work well. Optimising in-camera is good when you can set it up with a calibrated monitor, but otherwise you can do most of your tweaks in post. The important things are to keep your image within luminance range, to ensure a consistent WB, and keeps things in focus. Skin tones are important in people video and you need to use Zebras to make sure you keep skin brightness level within a 60 -70% level for white skins (tend orange if given greater exposure). Other types of skin you will need to determine your best levels. Here you notice I'm advising against auto exposure and I'm not enthusiastic about auto focus.
Don't use high gain (preferably max of 6dB) and if you set your PP with detail "on" you might wish to set crispening to +30 (so you don't add detail to low level noise).
I'm concerned by your white LED on the camera because without filtering it will not match your tungsten lighting. Most white LEDS are 5600K (professional) or >7500 for commercial, whereas your tungsten will be <2800. Your on-camera light must match the colour temperature of the ambient lighting, so add a filter if necessary. The other thing is that LEDs are hard to look into, so perhaps you should add diffusion. I prefer not to use a light on the camera and you seem to be saying that the venue will be adequately lit. If they have installed compact fluorescents you will have to be careful.
Getting a consistent WB is more important than getting it right, provided you're not too much in error. Establish a preset. Correction in post is easy if consistent. Check out: AAV ColorLab

EDIT: Forgot to mention IR contamination which can be strong under tungsten lighting. This can't be fixed in post and you should have an IR blocking filter, such as a B&W 486 (see thread on these pages about the effects and options).

Keith Anderson May 1st, 2009 07:14 AM

AWB-Huh?

[QUOTE=Leonard Levy;1135485]AWB - auto white balance and ATW - (which I thinking is continuously varying auto white trace - don't have my manual in front of me) are different.

AWB works fine in the EX-1 and is a typical way to get a white balance. If you prefer using presets that OK but its a preference . i use both.

I have never seen the AWB option anywhere on the camera. ATW is easily found but where the heck do you see AWB as even an option?

Many Thanks
Keith

Serena Steuart May 1st, 2009 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Anderson (Post 1135925)
I have never seen the AWB option anywhere on the camera. ATW is easily found but where the heck do you see AWB as even an option?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question but, if not, the AWB button is below the lens.

Hakim Robinson May 2nd, 2009 07:48 AM

Picture Profiles

Hello, I have some picture profiles and I am in Lawrenceville ga. How long have you had your EX1?

Hakim Robinson May 2nd, 2009 08:04 AM

Picture Profiles

Hello, I have some picture profiles and I am in Lawrenceville ga. How long have you had your EX1? I am New here, so if I cant reply to your response contact me at hakim.robinson@yahoo.com