focussing objects closer than 0.8m/2.6ft at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 6th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

focussing objects closer than 0.8m/2.6ft

I am having trouble focussing objects that are closer than 0.8m/2.6ft. With the sony z1 it was no problem to zoom in and focus object as close as 0.1m. (the viewfinder also showed the distance correctly, the ex1/3-viewfinder does not go any further than just 1m). The macro mode of the ex1/3 does not help either. What can I do?
Thomas Diehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The EX1 doesnt focus closer than 80cm away as marked on the focus ring unless in macro mode. Put it in Macro mode by push the focus ring forward to auto focus and setting the macro mode switch. The macro works great on anything closer than 80cm.

Macro mode is automatically cancelled out if the focus ring is pulled back into full manual mode.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I've tried the macro mode. But as soon as I zoom in or out just a little bit or move the camera a bit - the image does not stay sharp.
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Major Player

Macro mode makes no difference at full zoom, but as the lens is zoomed out its effect becomes apparent. Wide than about 46% the lens will focus on an object level with the front of the lens hood.
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #5
Major Player

In macro mode I can pretty much put things right up against the lens and stay in focus. I'm confused when you say, "zoom in", because in macro mode I'm zoomed out, it's already so close. As said before, make sure you're in auto focus (focus ring pushed forward) and the macro mode is on.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #6
Major Player

If you add diopters to the front of the lens you'll be able to zoom to 99 in Macro or Manual mode, allowing you to be farther away from the subject. I just got a achromatic +2 diopter (not inexpensive though) and it makes a big difference.

The problem with the EX1 'macro' mode is that because of the lens, the 1/2" chip, etc to get very small objects to be big in the frame you have to go wide in order to focus, and get very close, and even then the objects may not be big enough in the frame.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Keith, that's exactly what I meant. (couldn't describe it properly).
Thank you for your hint! - I'll try the achromatic +2 diopter!
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #8
Major Player

To say "wide" is a bit misleading. Macro works for focal lengths not greater than 25mm. Also it doesn't require auto focus. Put it in manual focus but with the focussing ring in the forward position.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #9
Major Player

For what I've experienced, the minimum amount a subject I can get with the stock EX1 macro (Macro in Manual or Auto Mode) is about 6cm from edge to edge with a 45% zoom and a few centimeters from the lens.

With the diopter I can get a subject around 4cm edge to edge from about 25cm away with a 99% zoom. This helps me because I don't have to get so close to the subject which tends to block out it's light or disturb it as much as having my lens right up against it.

So, what I'm saying is that you an get really close with the EX1 macro, but it's really not that effective at extreme macro videography without some add ons.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #10
Major Player

Agree on all points; I was only being particular about instructions for using macro.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Steuart View Post
To say "wide" is a bit misleading. Macro works for focal lengths not greater than 25mm. Also it doesn't require auto focus. Put it in manual focus but with the focussing ring in the forward position.
Shows you how little I know about this stuff, ha! I always thought sliding the ring forward is "auto focus", or manual focus with assist (which to me seems the same thing because the way it "assists" is not always what I would've chosen).
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Forester View Post
Shows you how little I know about this stuff, ha! I always thought sliding the ring forward is "auto focus", or manual focus with assist (which to me seems the same thing because the way it "assists" is not always what I would've chosen).
Yeah, you can get the AF/Manual mode (ring forward) to be pretty much manual by switching the auto/manual switch on the left side of the lens to 'manual' and turning off focus assist in the menu. I have the macro switch set on all the the time, that way I just do one thing to get into macro mode, push the ring forward.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds