Cannot Focus (manual or auto) with PMW-EX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:29 AM   #16
Regular Crew

this is the EXACT issue I am having with my ex1. Thank you for the link. This problem is more than an just a simple annoyance for event shooting. Its a deal breaker. I dont think my camera is usable for shooting a wedding for example. Ill have to rent. Its a very scary thing to shoot with and a terrible feeling that at any second things can go wrong. The problem is difficult to replicate, so you never know when it could go off.

Just before I came across your reply I found another long thread about this problem on the ex3 on another forum. I have not yet found a discussion specific to the ex1. I am sifting through your link now and it seems to have a lot of info. Thank you.

Ill post some of my thoughts as I read more about others experiences.
Dan Lukehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:23 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I read through all the post, and it seems as though the update has made the problem go away on the ex3.

I am on 1.11. Perhaps an update may do the same for me?

After a lot of guess work, I am now able to reproduce the problem with reliability. Ill write it down so incase anybody has this problem in the future and they can learn from my experience. If some of you could also see if you can replicate it, that may be of help.

for this test i was using the power adapter...not sure if that matters. The camera tends to get a little warmer when running on it.

1. Turn on camera
2. As SOON as it boots up, Manual zoom all the way in on an object and blur it out
3. Focus on the object you just blurred out very quickly
4. quickly zoom all the way out QUICKLY.

2-4 again if needed

The problem seems to be lessened or avoided when (listed in order of importance)

1. you go eazy on zooming from all the way in to all the way out. Slow it down.
2. you let the camera sit for 30 seconds after you turn it on
3. rapid focusing - this may or may not play a role in this problem.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:45 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Not a happy camper

Same thing just happened to my Ex1 in the middle of a critical shoot. All of a sudden no more focus (manual or automatic). I'm not a happy camper.
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #19
Regular Crew

This is happened to my Ex1 during faster zooms. I loose all control of the focus. A reboot fixes my problem though. I drove it down to sony last week. I will post on my thread "focus freeze problem" about how they deal with the situation.

I am very unhappy with things at the moment. The camera is still pretty new and ive missed out on a lot of work having it be away.
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #20
Regular Crew

An update:

The loss of focus comes from only quick zooms. The longer the camera is on, the slower the zoom needs to be.

I took it into sony one week ago. I still have not had any word on the camera.
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #21
Wrangler

Mod note: I have merged these two threads since they appear to cover the same topic.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I had the same thing happen to my EX1. Sony Canada then replaced my lens to correct the problem, which it did, but then I got other problems. So after 4 lens replacements they finally going to replace my entire EX1 or let me pay the difference and upgrade to a EX3.
Old August 15th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #23
Regular Crew

EX1 focus also died

I have a similar problem with my EX1. Was all going well, turned it off and restarted a couple of hours later and the focus has died. Tried manual and auto and reset but still dead. At first it would only zoom in(on servo) and not zoom out again. I tried moving the ND filters and that seems to have solved the zoom out problem. Focus seems good on wide and not to bad fully zoomed in but totally out in the middle ranges. . . .to me it seems like some of the lens elements aren't moving. . . . but thats just a guess. Back to Sony I guess :-(

Mark
Mark Sudfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sudfeldt View Post
I have a similar problem with my EX1. Was all going well, turned it off and restarted a couple of hours later and the focus has died. Tried manual and auto and reset but still dead. At first it would only zoom in(on servo) and not zoom out again. I tried moving the ND filters and that seems to have solved the zoom out problem. Focus seems good on wide and not to bad fully zoomed in but totally out in the middle ranges. . . .to me it seems like some of the lens elements aren't moving. . . . but thats just a guess. Back to Sony I guess :-(

Mark
From what I can remember that is very similar to how mine behaved - had it on a spring break trip with the kids in early April - sent it back- replaced the entire lens elements and did a thorough service check although they did not update the firmware (still at 1.11). Good luck - seemed to get good service out of the Teaneck New Jersey place.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Just an update to my focusing issues. Sent the EX1 back to Sony who replaced the faulty lens assembly. I gather one of the lens elements had moved. They also replaced a side and back panel where the graphics were worn and updated it to 1.13. No charge for any of it and a turn around time of 12 days. . . .pretty impressed with Sony service.

Mark
Mark Sudfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:17 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Problems solved or not?

Has anyone seen had any recurring problems with the EX1 focus? I have two with cams same issues appearing, one is just under warranty the other out. Has it now been solved on newer builds does anyone know?

Thanks
Steve
Steve Slattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:33 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Don't confuse manual with full manual.
Full manual is just that. Pull the focus ring towards you until you hear it click. It's disable all the electronics related to focus. You should then be able to focus manually if there's nothing mechanically broken.
This is the biggest EX1 myth ever perpetrated. The "Full Manual" mode is also servo driven. There is no full manual mode in the EX1. The manual mode provides end stops which seems to indicate it is a mechanical only mode but that isn't true; it's a servo driven focus camera in either node.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #28
Tourist

Re: Cannot Focus (manual or auto) with PMW-EX1

Hi, I am experiencing the same problem with the loss of focus issue as well, I realize this thread is old, but has anyone have a clear culprit as to what causes this and the proper fix, other than just replacing the lens elements? I have the latest firmware, did a reset, and also a back focus just in case, but the problem persists.
Michael V. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 03:55 PM   #29
Major Player

It is a Sony repair job. I had to have a new lens assembly. My fault showed itself by not being able to focus at infinity. Fantastic pictures now it has been fixed.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #30
Tourist

Does anyone know what causes this? To avoid having this happen again. It was never banged or dropped, and it occurred while resting on my desk as I was setting up picture profiles.
Michael V. Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds