DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Clip browser full screen problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/177850-clip-browser-full-screen-problem.html)

Patrik Vale April 9th, 2009 09:41 AM

Clip browser full screen problem

Hi!

I have XDCAM EX-1, and when I try to play clip with Clip browser (on my desktop computer) in full screen video is skipping (maybe every 3 seconds). I also try it on my notebook (which has worse hardware than desk. computer) and it plays fine.

My desktop computer:
Intel Core i7 920, 4x2,66 GHz
6 GB of ram (G. Skill)
Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-DS4
ATI Radeon 3650 graphics
Lcd display: Lenovo L220x (1920*1200)

Notebook: Lenovo r61

*I tried both 1.5 and 2.0 versions of Clip Browser

Patrik Vale April 15th, 2009 08:07 AM

Does somebody have similar problem?

Joachim Hoge April 15th, 2009 02:29 PM

Iīm on a Mac, so I canīt help you directly, but when using the Mac version, the preview image quality is very poor compared to the preview in the XDCAM transfer tool that I use with FC.
In the clip browser it getīs very pixlated, so it could be down to the Sony software

Sverker Hahn April 15th, 2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge (Post 1096794)
In the clip browser it getīs very pixlated, so it could be down to the Sony software

You will get a better display with XDCam Transfer, but probably it will stutter anyway.

These applications are simply not for playing your video.

Keith Moreau April 16th, 2009 01:06 PM

VLC - Video Lan Client

For previewing the raw MP4 files inside the BPAV folder, I've begun to start using VLC (Video Lan Client) software. It actually plays back these XDCAM EX codec files quite well full screen without studdering (depending on the speed of your CPU and video card). I now use it all the time rather than using the XDCAM Transfer tool to wrap the native EX files to view them on Mac or PC.

I custom-developed some Applescript software to create the VLC playlists out of the MP4 files, which are embedded quite deep into the XDCAM's BPAV folders, but you can navigate to the files (those with extention .mp4) from within VLC and open them that way.

VLC is free and can be downloaded for all platforms here:

VideoLAN - Free and Open Source software and video streaming solutions for every OS!

Marc Myers April 17th, 2009 10:56 AM

I noticed in the documentation for version 2.5 that they expressly don't warrant smooth playback. Too many variables: method of transfer, buss speed, etc. Understandable really.
I read this as if it plays back smoothly, you're lucky. Doesn't play back smoothly for me either. I don't remember having this issue in version 1.1 but perhaps I've just forgotten.

Dave Morrison April 17th, 2009 08:03 PM

Patrik,
Where are the files located when you are getting this bad playback?:

1. internal drive
2. external drive (USB?)
3. card reader

This might have some bearing on how smoothly the files play back on your system. I get smooth fullscreen playback from my internal drives. Also, Windows is notorious for running multiple processes in the background. I'd close any non-essential processes when you are playing back files.