Capture EX 3 using FCP 5? / Mix w/F350? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 9th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #1
New Boot

Capture EX 3 using FCP 5? / Mix w/F350?

We current have one PDW F350 XDcam and it works fine with our older non intel G 5s running Tiger (10.4.11) and FCP 5.1.4

First Topic: If we added a couple EX 3s to our acquisition mix would we be able to capture to our non-intel computers using XDcam Transfer or some other tool or do these only work with Intel macs, higher OS and versions of FCP?

Second Topic: If we can capture this material to our older machines can we mix material from both cameras on the same XDcam sequence for example (XDCAM HD 1080i35 Mb/s VBR codec).

The F 350 XDcam has a has a raster of 1440 x 1080 and the EX 3's Rastor is 1920 x 1080. Can these two variants function on the same XDcam sequence, provided they are shot at the same bitrate? Or do we need to be using ProRez 422 to do this? Which means we would need all new computers OS and FCP updates.

We plan to update our computers at some point maybe in a year or so but really need to expand our acquisition now. Can we mix file from both cameras on a native XDcam sequence? Would we take a quality hit because of the mixing?

So I guess what I'm asking, can we capture and edit with these two XDcam files with what we have now?

Thanks,

Dave
website
Dave Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

XDCAM Transfer works on G5.
ClipBrowser does not.
You'd have to copy files by hand (some risk) or you could use ShotPut to copy BPAV folders and does work on G5.

You need Final Cut Pro 6 (6.0.2 and up - currently at 6.0.5) to support the EX codec directly.
FCP can handle a mixed codec timeline. I can't attest to the rendered output. I have mixed standard def XDCAM with EX video on a Standard Def timeline and found that viable.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds