DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sandisk Ultra II 32GB compatibility change? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/182018-sandisk-ultra-ii-32gb-compatibility-change.html)

Craig Seeman April 10th, 2009 12:09 PM

Sandisk Ultra II 32GB compatibility change?

Sandisk Ultra II 32GB compatibility change?

As some have noticed the above have been out of stock at most locations for some time. Apparently they're back in in many places.

I've been happily using my Sandisk Ultra II 32GB class 2 since January. The only issue was the need to run format twice.

Apparently someone has purchased a new Sandisk Ultra II 32GB class 4 and could not get it to format at all. They inquired to one of the Mx adaptor makers and was told that the new Sandisk Ultra II 32GB class 4 cards may not work with the adaptors.

I wonder if anyone else can confirm this?

James Venturi April 10th, 2009 06:43 PM

Confirmed

I just purchased 4 Sandisk 32gb cards. None of them would format. We are returning them and replacing them with Transcend cards.

Craig Seeman April 10th, 2009 09:46 PM

Did the cards say class 4 or class 2? It seems the older class 2 cards work but the "revised" class 4 do not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Venturi (Post 1077006)
I just purchased 4 Sandisk 32gb cards. None of them would format. We are returning them and replacing them with Transcend cards.

Craig Seeman April 10th, 2009 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought these class 2 in January. They work. The red circle is just my highlight to show where the class is on the card and that they were class 2.

Trevor Meeks April 10th, 2009 11:58 PM

I have confirmed that the 32gb Class 4 Ultra II cards are not compatible with the EX series cameras. Huge friggin bummer... HUGE, and very deliberate I'm sure.

Craig Seeman April 11th, 2009 12:12 AM

Looks like Transcend is about to gain a whole bunch of customers. I'm hearing their SDHC Class 6 32GB cards work.

So not only are fewer people buying SxS, there will now be fewer people buying Sandisk SDHC.

My guess would be that this is deliberate too. It may have been pressure from Sony. Transcend is under no such pressure since they're not a Sony partner.

In any case I'm hearing from a few people that they have not been able to format the Sandisk 32GB Ultra II Class 4 cards in an EX.

James Venturi April 11th, 2009 01:20 AM

Transcend are cheaper anyway

I imagine that Sony doesn't care what kind of cards you use as long as they sell more cameras and SxS are such a small part of Sandisk's business that they don't care much easier. My guess is that the new 32gb cards are cheaper to manufacturer and this was the leading factor in the change. EX1 owners willing to use non-standard cards can't be a huge percentage of Sandisk's 32gb sdhc card business.

Regardless, I've saved money in switching to Transcend (just bought 6 for $104 each), meanwhile someone has bought my 16gb SxS card for $550--not a bad trade.

jim

Craig Seeman April 11th, 2009 06:18 AM

I'd imagine that 32GB SxS is not a very big part of Sandisk's business also. It's a small market and usually a one time single purchase.

Sandisk's loss of SDHC sales is where they'll hurt.
32GB SDHC has a limited market as well. High end Photographers shooting raw. Maybe some audio recordists. Video Camera operators that use SDHC (which may include consumer cameras). EX owners. Almost all these markets will buy a card or two and reuse.

EX owners may be the only group that would buy multiple cards since they may be the only group that may find themselves in a situation where they may hand cards to clients after shoots or use the cards to store shot material long term. In other words, EX owners may be the only group to be repeat buyers. 32GB SDHC may be used like HDCAM tape for example. Sandisk just lost that market to Transcend.

While only anecdotal, I've heard many stories that the one thing stopping some people from buying EX is the price of the media. Of course Transcend is still available but I have a hunch that many people have no idea there's an SDHC option as Sony doesn't mention it. Some of these will purchase JVC HM cameras instead which shoot on SDHC natively. Others may purchase Panasonic instead.

I think this hurts Sandisk the most because they lose one of the few markets that may be repeat buys of 32GB SDHC. All speculation of course but I can't see how anyone thinks this is a good business position for Sandisk or even Sony.

Andrew Stone April 11th, 2009 01:01 PM

I get the sense Sony has been corporately split on the issue whether or not to promote the SDHC. However, I think their hand will be forced in the coming months as SDHC gains traction in the marketplace as a viable media option for pro video shooters.

In my mind Sony has two trump cards to play in the next year one is to promote SDHC as a viable inexpensive media format and second to release a feature upgrade to the EX line allowing shooters to easily capture 50 or 100 mBit video. This will give Sony a new revenue stream for the EX line and extend the lifetime of the line in a time when R&D budgets are being slashed.

David B. Monier-Williams April 12th, 2009 07:28 AM

Sandisk Ultra II 32Gb Compatability Change

I just checked the Transcend's website and I could only find an 8Gb SDHC card. Do they have bigger cards?

John Hedgecoe April 12th, 2009 07:48 AM

Here's the link to the Transcend online store...

Welcome to Transcend Online Store

But here's an odd thing. I bought two of the 32GB Transcend Class 6 SDHC cards. One of the cards will not work in the EX1 A slot. It works fine in the B slot, but put it into the A slot and you get the 'card needs to be formatted' message. So format the card... and it fails. But still works in the B slot????

The other card works fine in both slots. But I cannot figure out why the other card will only work in the B slot.

And for anyone interested, the TopRam cards do NOT work in the EX1. In case it's relevant, I am using the MxR card adapters.

James Venturi April 12th, 2009 12:14 PM

Transcend cards

I am expecting 6 x 32gb cards on Monday. I have a bunch of MxR cards, plus Kensington cards, so I should be able to do a pretty exhaustive test and will let everyone know the results.

Larry Huntington April 12th, 2009 09:39 PM

Just make sure they are pushed firmly into the adapters to avoid errors. I noticed if I casually insert sdhc cards without making sure they are all the way in the adapter, I can get errors due to a lack of physical contact. That's my experience anyhow.

And yes I am bummed that the Sandisk 32GB class 4's don't work. Luckily I have 2 Sandisk class 2's that work.

With the Sony prices on SxS, there will always be a workaround.

Paul Kendal April 14th, 2009 06:37 AM

Mine Work!

Just purchased 3 of the new Sandisc Ultra II Class 4 32GB SDHC cards and all 3 worked just fine after one format in my EX1.

Paul

Craig Seeman April 14th, 2009 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kendal (Post 1091248)
Just purchased 3 of the new Sandisc Ultra II Class 4 32GB SDHC cards and all 3 worked just fine after one format in my EX1.

Paul

Paul, can you confirm that they actually say class 4 on the card face, not class 2? See my screenshot above.

Also given that so many are reporting failures can you point us to where you purchased them?