Convince me NOT to use the "Detail" PP Setting --or to use it! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 16th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #16
Major Player

OK, I'll try again!
Really this cannot be answered by thinking about it and only through definitive tests. Broadly the question is whether it is better to sharpen at the 12 bit level of the DSP or leave it until post when working with 8 bit long GOP? And how is that changed working with 10 bit 2 frame GOP of Cineform NEO HD which has reconstructed the footage? And what are the effects of various NLE FX strings?
The perception of sharpness is strongly dependent on contrast, a low contrast image appearing less detailed even though of the same resolution. At the same time, as object contrast reduces so it is more difficult to resolve fine detail in the object (effect of MTF). Assuming that such detail is still contained in the recorded signal (even if not apparent) what is the best means for recovering it? Unsharp masking? Certainly a powerful tool for this purpose in astrophotography. Or is simple edge sharpening effective?
Since we're not concerned here with scientific imaging, any artefacts introduced through the DSP matter only when they become visible or effect other processes (such as chroma key). Having stuff pop into focus at the end of a pan, for example, is the reason I leave detail "off". Reviews have noted that detail -40 is about the same as detail "off", so there is plenty of margin for experiment.
My view is to go with whatever settings give you the image you want up on the screen, rather than try to discover the "right" answer. However if someone can propose a definitive test then it would be interesting to explore.

Last edited by Serena Steuart; April 17th, 2009 at 08:25 PM.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #17
Major Player

repeated after failed to post
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Klatt View Post
When switching the details on, even with all parameters at default value/off, one immediatly can see that the all lights get some bright "1to2-pixel-white-glowing" at its contours. This seems to be a typical "Kantenaufsteilung" (I don't know the English word, its the sharpening effect at the edges/corners) which I really do not like/need.
Change the detail frequency to say -8 to -10. If that doesn't look good play with other negative numbers.
John
Thanks John,

But it does not help. At very sharp corners/edges like lights in dark rooms, especially eg. candles in wind glasses, you have this very obvious oversharpened dark "aura/corona". This will only be reduced at level -20/-30 but then everything is even more blurry as without setting details to on. Everything else in the room benefits with kindly better sharpness when details are set to on.
Markus Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #19
Trustee

Came across this detail "test" that some might find interesting.

Testing Letus Extreme on Sony EX1 Notes from the Field
Old April 18th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #20
Major Player

The test was useful for the intended purpose but no more than the subjective assessments people have been discussing. A quantitative test is needed encompassing all the factors mentioned above if the original question is to be answered.
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:56 AM   #21
Major Player

So Serena, what do you personally use when you shoot with the EX? Do you vary "Detail On" and "Detail Off" depending on the subject matter?

I did a shoot the other day with Alister's setting that included CINE 1 and Detail at -8, and I was quite pleased with the sharpness. I didn't scrutinize it but to me it was noticeably sharper and I didn't feel I lost any other aspects of the image, such as the filmic quality I was getting with the "Detail Off" setting. This was a very basic outdoor shoot with some high contrast sun with shadows.

Thanks all for everybody's input, if anybody has more, please feel free to contribute to this thread.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:36 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
So Serena, what do you personally use when you shoot with the EX? Do you vary "Detail On" and "Detail Off" depending on the subject matter?
I shoot with detail "off" and sharpen in post where I think that benefits. But your thread has raised interesting questions about where sharpening should be performed for optimal results (DSP or post). A good question for Adam Wilt (who also shoots with detail off).
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds