DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Letus vs Nikon Adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/195298-letus-vs-nikon-adapter.html)

Glynn Albert April 14th, 2009 12:01 AM

Letus vs Nikon Adapter

Does anyone know what lens adapter came with the EX3?

Can you get close to the same results with the Nikon adapter as with the Lettuce?

Vincent Oliver April 14th, 2009 12:46 AM

The Nikon adaptor will give you a magnification of X5.4 which means your 105mm lens now has an effictive focal lenght of 567mm. The Letus adaptor keeps the focal lenght of the lens in use, which can be useful for wide angle work using Nikkor lenses. The other added bonus is that the lenses retain their shallow depth of field.

Eric Gulbransen April 14th, 2009 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glynn Albert (Post 1090377)
Can you get close to the same results with the Nikon adapter as with the Lettuce?

Short answer is "NO" Glynn. Long answer is still "NO" it just takes more words.

Nikon lens is designed to project an image back to the 35mm sensor (or 35mm film) inside a DSLR camera - which is huge in comparison to your EX3 sensor (5.4 times as huge). Nikon to EX3 adapters simply mount the Nikon lens in front of your camera - there is no glass in them, so your tiny EX3 sensor only sees/records a small portion of the huge image that the Nikon lens is projecting toward it. A "Lettuce" adapter (by the way I like that name better), DOES have glass in it. "Very basically" that glass takes the huge image that the Nikon lens projects toward it, reduces it, and sends it back to your camera in a "EX3 sensor size."

That's about the most abbreviated description I've ever read, never mind wrote. I hope it helps.

Steve Shovlar April 14th, 2009 02:27 PM

The two are totally different beasts. As has already been said, 35mm adaptors such as the Letus, Brevis, Redrock and SGPro don't have any magnification of the image. A 200mm lens is a 200mm lens.

When you use a Nikon adaptor such as the Adaptimax, as Vincent has mentioned, you get 5.4 magnification. So the 200mm lens will be a 1080mm lens! Absolutely fantastic for telephoto as you get edge to edge sharpness.

Stick a Nikon Micro (macro) lens on the Adaptimax and get stunning close up action of insects or plant life. A Letus can't really do any of that.

Worth owning both.

Ralph Keyser April 14th, 2009 05:06 PM

By the way, the adapter that came with the camera goes from a standard 1/2" bayonet mount to the proprietary Sony EX mount. A nice feature since are a number of 1/2 bayonet lenses out there. A B4 mount adapter would have been nice since the B4 is pretty much a standard for broadcast cameras, but that adapter apears to be too pricey to throw into the basic kit.

Dean Sensui April 14th, 2009 05:09 PM

I had an adapter for my Nikon F2 that allowed a lens to be mounted backward: the rear element became the front element.

That provided some super-close macro work. A 24mm would behave almost like a jeweler's microscope.

Mitchell Lewis April 14th, 2009 07:03 PM

Lettuce is something you eat before dinner
Nikon is a camera/lens manufacture

I can't believe no one has pointed that out yet? (sorry I couldn't resist)

Letus is spelled Letus, not Lettuce. Although that's how you pronounce it as I understand it.

Sorry for the waste of bandwidth. :)

Chris Hurd April 14th, 2009 08:50 PM

Title changed from "Lettuce" to Letus.

Leonard Levy April 14th, 2009 09:10 PM

Chris - you're a killjoy!

Steve Shovlar April 15th, 2009 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis (Post 1093608)
Lettuce is something you eat before dinner
Nikon is a camera/lens manufacture

I can't believe no one has pointed that out yet? (sorry I couldn't resist)

Letus is spelled Letus, not Lettuce. Although that's how you pronounce it as I understand it.

Sorry for the waste of bandwidth. :)

I thought the original poster had spelt it that way tongue firmly in cheek.