Letus vs Nikon Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 14th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #1
Tourist

Letus vs Nikon Adapter

Does anyone know what lens adapter came with the EX3?

Can you get close to the same results with the Nikon adapter as with the Lettuce?
Glynn Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #2
Trustee

The Nikon adaptor will give you a magnification of X5.4 which means your 105mm lens now has an effictive focal lenght of 567mm. The Letus adaptor keeps the focal lenght of the lens in use, which can be useful for wide angle work using Nikkor lenses. The other added bonus is that the lenses retain their shallow depth of field.
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynn Albert View Post
Can you get close to the same results with the Nikon adapter as with the Lettuce?
Short answer is "NO" Glynn. Long answer is still "NO" it just takes more words.

Nikon lens is designed to project an image back to the 35mm sensor (or 35mm film) inside a DSLR camera - which is huge in comparison to your EX3 sensor (5.4 times as huge). Nikon to EX3 adapters simply mount the Nikon lens in front of your camera - there is no glass in them, so your tiny EX3 sensor only sees/records a small portion of the huge image that the Nikon lens is projecting toward it. A "Lettuce" adapter (by the way I like that name better), DOES have glass in it. "Very basically" that glass takes the huge image that the Nikon lens projects toward it, reduces it, and sends it back to your camera in a "EX3 sensor size."

That's about the most abbreviated description I've ever read, never mind wrote. I hope it helps.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #4
Major Player

The two are totally different beasts. As has already been said, 35mm adaptors such as the Letus, Brevis, Redrock and SGPro don't have any magnification of the image. A 200mm lens is a 200mm lens.

When you use a Nikon adaptor such as the Adaptimax, as Vincent has mentioned, you get 5.4 magnification. So the 200mm lens will be a 1080mm lens! Absolutely fantastic for telephoto as you get edge to edge sharpness.

Stick a Nikon Micro (macro) lens on the Adaptimax and get stunning close up action of insects or plant life. A Letus can't really do any of that.

Worth owning both.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #5
Major Player

By the way, the adapter that came with the camera goes from a standard 1/2" bayonet mount to the proprietary Sony EX mount. A nice feature since are a number of 1/2 bayonet lenses out there. A B4 mount adapter would have been nice since the B4 is pretty much a standard for broadcast cameras, but that adapter apears to be too pricey to throw into the basic kit.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I had an adapter for my Nikon F2 that allowed a lens to be mounted backward: the rear element became the front element.

That provided some super-close macro work. A 24mm would behave almost like a jeweler's microscope.
Old April 14th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #7
Trustee

Lettuce is something you eat before dinner
Nikon is a camera/lens manufacture

I can't believe no one has pointed that out yet? (sorry I couldn't resist)

Letus is spelled Letus, not Lettuce. Although that's how you pronounce it as I understand it.

Sorry for the waste of bandwidth. :)
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Title changed from "Lettuce" to Letus.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Trustee

Chris - you're a killjoy!
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 03:05 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
Lettuce is something you eat before dinner
Nikon is a camera/lens manufacture

I can't believe no one has pointed that out yet? (sorry I couldn't resist)

Letus is spelled Letus, not Lettuce. Although that's how you pronounce it as I understand it.

Sorry for the waste of bandwidth. :)
I thought the original poster had spelt it that way tongue firmly in cheek.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds