White Balance For Night Shoot? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 15th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

White Balance For Night Shoot?

I will be shooting at night without being able to do a white balance,
could someone suggest a color temp setting?

Thanks.

Kevin Jones
Kevin Wayne Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Use your "pre-set" white balance...it has worked for me in the past.
Old April 15th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Do you mean ATW?

kj
Kevin Wayne Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Trustee

I'd like to know what people are using as well. I'd start with 5600, but I noticed that at dusk, 5600 doesn't work too well (can't remember which direction I went to make it look good. Maybe start with 5600 and see how that looks.

Sorry I need to spend more "non-work time" with the camera. I'm looking forward to going on some fun nature shoots when things get green around here.
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #5
Trustee

Just before you shoot white balance to something white and this will tell you the temp, this only takes less than five seconds.

If your shooting with lights around you do the same.
Easy
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #6
Major Player

That depends on where the ligt comes form. In nature I would select 5600k as standard or take a white balance just before the light disapers. It will do for most shots - like the moon. You can always check the colour viewfinder to check if 3200k is better if you make something with cars and a city.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Skelmose View Post
That depends on where the ligt comes form. In nature I would select 5600k as standard or take a white balance just before the light disapers. It will do for most shots - like the moon. You can always check the colour viewfinder to check if 3200k is better if you make something with cars and a city.
At night the 3200K usually reset works best. At sunset/dusk you have to make a judgement call when the sun is the main source 5600K preset works extremely well. You can either keep this setting, or once sources like headlights become dominate you switch to 3200K. It's usually so blue from the reflected light from the sky by this time that it's not a huge difference once you make the switch.

For street lighting it depends on type of lights being used and if there are other lights on shot. With sodium the 3200K preset usually looks OK, especially if you have other light sources. Some cameras will improve the look of sodium if you take a white balance, but these lights have a narrow wavelength and never really look that great.

Taking a white balance on the setting sun gives an unnatural look with extremely blue shadows.

If you've got a monitor you basically go for what looks good.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #8
Major Player

I agree completely with the 3200K setting. This has worked for me under most circumstances.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #9
Regular Crew

And if all else fails, do a colour correct in FCP (or whatever editing system you use)
Shaun R Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Kevin,

Why would you be able to do a white balance?

If the camera will be unattended then I would go the night before and look at the light sources around where the camera will be and white balance the camera. Then keep that setting for the next night.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds