Express Card to CF-adapter works in EX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 16th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #1
Major Player

Express Card to CF-adapter works in EX1?

I have a Sony HVR-Z7, working woth compact flash cards. I'm thinking of buying an EX1, but I would like to use CF-cards in that cam as well. I know there are several adapters on the market to put CF-cards in a Express Card slot, but do these work in the EX1? I mean mostly mechanically: doesn't the whole set-up protrude too much out of the camera's body, making it too vulnerable?
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #2
Trustee

The adaptors are not for cf cards, they're for sdhc cards, and no the combination does not stick out of the EX1 slot if you use the mxr adaptor, if you use the kensington adaptor the combination does stick out. Both adaptors are very reliable, especially if used with the transcend sdhc class 6 cards.

Paul.
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Major Player

I don't think anyone has tried the CF/Express card setup. I have seen them out there, but have no idea if they would work.

Having something that large sticking out of my camera would make me concerned too.

The only way I know of is to use the Convergent Design nanoFlash or Flash XDR recorders.

HDV To HD-SDI Video Converters Professional Video Equipment HDMI To HD-SDI Television Studio Equipment

They bypass the onboard compressor and allow you to record 4:2:2 via SDI to their CF recording boxes. Not cheap, but the quality bump is worth it in my opinion.
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Paul & James, I'll look into these two possibilities. Still, it would be nice if I could have the same workflow as with the Z7's CF-cards. If anyone has tried it, please let me know.
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
Thanks Paul & James, I'll look into these two possibilities. Still, it would be nice if I could have the same workflow as with the Z7's CF-cards. If anyone has tried it, please let me know.
I just checked the MXR adaptor, and that looks great. A CF-card will always stick out and prevent the door from closing. So I guess the MXR adaptor is the way to go, even if it means buying a few SDHC-cards. Taking the price into account, that's not a disaster.
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Luc, what would be the benefit to conform the two workflows?
Are you dissatisfied with MPEG2-Long-GOP material from two varying cameras?
I think it is a very satisfying situation to capture, edit and cut these source materials
on one and the same computer.

Best. P.
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #7
Major Player

Yes, I realise that now, as long as I can use the 'log & transfer' workflow, it doesn't really matter if I have to load a CF-card or a SDHC-card in my reader.

The next important question is then: is at feasible - qualitywise - to mix clips of the two cameras in one project? Or is the gap between the quality of 1/3-inch and 1/2-inch sensors that wide that mixed editing is out of the question?
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Huenergardt View Post
I don't think anyone has tried the CF/Express card setup. I have seen them out there, but have no idea if they would work.

Having something that large sticking out of my camera would make me concerned too.

The only way I know of is to use the Convergent Design nanoFlash or Flash XDR recorders.

HDV To HD-SDI Video Converters Professional Video Equipment HDMI To HD-SDI Television Studio Equipment

They bypass the onboard compressor and allow you to record 4:2:2 via SDI to their CF recording boxes. Not cheap, but the quality bump is worth it in my opinion.
HMMMMMM. The cost of this type of acquisition system is very close to the cost of the entire camera. Wow.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Yes, I realise that now, as long as I can use the 'log & transfer' workflow, it doesn't really matter if I have to load a CF-card or a SDHC-card in my reader.

The next important question is then: is at feasible - qualitywise - to mix clips of the two cameras in one project? Or is the gap between the quality of 1/3-inch and 1/2-inch sensors that wide that mixed editing is out of the question?

Depends on which camera you use when ;-)
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
HMMMMMM. The cost of this type of acquisition system is very close to the cost of the entire camera. Wow.
Yeah, I prefer a second camera then. It's just a hobby, so there are limits to what I want to invest...
Old April 16th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kraft View Post
Depends on which camera you use when ;-)
Well, I like shooting concerts, so I would use the Z7 for dynamic camera work from a low angle (for which it find it very good), and the EX3 as a shoulder-cam for more steady shots. Plus the Canon HV30 with the Merlin steadycam to move on stage.What do you think?
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #12
Major Player

I have the Sonnet Express34 CF adapter.

It does not fit in either my EX-1 or EX-3 so it is kind of moot whether it would work.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
I have the Sonnet Express34 CF adapter.

It does not fit in either my EX-1 or EX-3 so it is kind of moot whether it would work.

Ned Soltz
Thanks Ned. I'd go for the adapter with SDHC-cards, then. And probably spend some extra cash to get the EX3 instead of the EX1, as I prefer a shoulder-mounted camera. Since you have the two: is the EX3 really as stable as a 'conventional' shoulder-camera, say the S270?
Old April 17th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
Dear Barry,

The advantage to using the Flash XDR or the nanoFlash is in being able to record very high quality 4:2:2 images, using the full raster (1920 x 1080) that an EX1/EX3 produces but is not able to record.

The Sony EX1/EX3 record 4:2:0 images at 35 Mbps.

The difference between 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 can be dramatic, especially for film-out and other situations where the highest quality output is expected.

Another advantage is that with 100 Mbps Long-GOP, the codec can handle extremely detailed images and even lots of motion in the image or the camera. At 35 Mbps, there are cases where image artifacts can occur.

The Flash XDR and nanoFlash record 4:2:2 at your choice of 50 or 100 Mbps (Long-GOP), and 100, 140 and 160 Mbps (I-Frame Only - Intraframe Compression). We also offer 4:2:0 at 35 Mbps.

And we record to very low-cost CompactFlash Cards. A Kingston 32 GB Elite Pro CompactFlash card is currently under $60 at B&H.

(Disclaimer: I am the Director of Sales and Marketing for Convergent Design.)
Old April 17th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Dear Dan,

I'm still waiting for the long promised MXF samples from the FlashXDR, recorded with an EX camera :)

Best Regards

Piotr

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds