Sending edit from FCP to Color - convert to ProRes first? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 17th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sending edit from FCP to Color - convert to ProRes first?

I have searched these forums and found half-solutions and tantalising clues, but have as yet been unable to find a definitive answer to my questions. I have edited my job in FCP and I now want to grade the job in Color. Do I convert the edit into ProRes before I send to Color, or do I grade in XDCAM EX and then render out in ProRes, and if so do I choose 8 bit or 10 bit?
Shaun R Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It easier than you think..

If you have picture lock-down and now wish to grade in Color simply select; File, Send to, Color. FCP will send your timeline to Color opening a new document. There is no need to convert at this stage as Color will output which ever Codec you select.
Have you collapsed all you video on to the V1 track? it makes life a bit easier if you elect to do this.

Set up your document in Color by going into setup pane and selecting all the options that match your project, ie if you have shot 1080 by 1920, or whatever ensure you select the settings that match your source video. Select the QT codec that you wish to render to. When finished select send to FCP. A nested sequence of the render is sent to FCP.

hope that helps
Eric A Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds