DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Nikon G to Sony PMW-EX3 adaptor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/212910-nikon-g-sony-pmw-ex3-adaptor.html)

Ofer Levy April 18th, 2009 06:56 PM

Nikon G to Sony PMW-EX3 adaptor

Just got my new Nikon G to Sony PMW-EX3 adaptor from Mike Tapa !!!
Mounts and Adaptors

This fantastic device enables you to use the modern autofocus Nikon lenses on the EX3. I have played with it a bit and it works like a dream!!
I have been using a few of Mike’s adaptors in the last two years and learned to appreciate their state of the art craftsmanship.
Going to use it mostly with my new Nikon 200-400 G f4 VR for wildlife work.

Cheers,

Ofer

Steve Harryman April 18th, 2009 07:11 PM

Wow. Didn't know Mike was working on such an adapter. Very cool. Ofer, I'm envious you're shooting with the 200-400. Should be awesome with the adapter. Let me know how it works out for you.

Steve

Ofer Levy April 18th, 2009 08:07 PM

I will do that ASAP. Going to Israel to do some wildlife shooting - hope to upload some footage as soon as I return around early June. Cheers,

Ofer (-:

Vincent Oliver April 19th, 2009 01:19 PM

Ofer,

Do you have any test footage you can show us, or maybe a shot of your Nikon G lens fitted on the EX3 camera with the adaptor? It sounds an interesting product, though somewhat expensive. It will be interesting to see if anyone else produces a similar product.

Good luck with your trip to Israel, not sure what wildlife you will see there.

Ofer Levy April 19th, 2009 03:50 PM

Hi Vincent, you can see a shot of the camera with the adaptor on Mike's website.

I am going to Israel to film the European bee-eaters as they are nesting there right now. Will upload some stuff when I return. Just for your information - there is no glass in this adaptor so the image quality is not effected in any way - it all depends on the lens you are using.

The quality I get using Mike's other Nikon to EX3 adaptor with a few prime Nikon MF ED lenses is fantastic.

Cheers,
Ofer

Eric Gulbransen April 19th, 2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1112714)
It will be interesting to see if anyone else produces a similar product.

Mike's got a patent in the works this time Vincent. But that's a very good point. Lesson, learned..

Vincent Oliver April 20th, 2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ofer Levy (Post 1113157)
Hi Vincent, you can see a shot of the camera with the adaptor on Mike's website.

Yes, I saw that picture on Mikes site, but I am more interested to see a users setup rather than a product shot. How do you find it, can you set an accurate f number with a G series lens or is it just a question of setting the aperture until it looks right in the viewfinder.

Ed Kukla April 20th, 2009 02:54 PM

lens choices

Add to the list...

I'd like to know which Nikkor lenses are best suited for use with the EX-3?

Besides the obvious need for good optics, many still camera zoom lenses aren't easy to use in the video world. Add to the need for good optics; good ergonomics, smooth zoom capability and ease of follow focusing.

I'm considering the Nikkor 80-200ED-IF & the Nikon 70-300ED-VR G & the 80-400 Tokina AT-X.

Thanks

Mike Tapa April 20th, 2009 03:17 PM

Vincent.

The aperture is set visually.
The mechanism in the adaptor takes advantage of the activation lever on the back of the lens.
However, the scope of movement from fully open to closed down is only a few degrees, and is not linear, making any engraving impractical.

I had many enquiries from people wanting the original adaptor, but were disappointed when they realised that they couldn't use their G lenses, both on the EX3 and with my 1/3" bayonet adaptor.
It was this that prompted me to design these new versions.

Cheers.

Ofer Levy April 21st, 2009 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Kukla (Post 1117053)
Add to the list...

I'd like to know which Nikkor lenses are best suited for use with the EX-3?

Besides the obvious need for good optics, many still camera zoom lenses aren't easy to use in the video world. Add to the need for good optics; good ergonomics, smooth zoom capability and ease of follow focusing.

I'm considering the Nikkor 80-200ED-IF & the Nikon 70-300ED-VR G & the 80-400 Tokina AT-X.

Thanks

Hi Ed,
I use the Nikon 80-200 ED AF and I like the result. I won't recommend using it wide open - especially when you have trees at the BG. The light spots you can see throught the leaves become circular and it doesn't look good. I usually use it at f5.6 - f 8 and get nice results.
I also use Nikon MF 300 f2.8 ED AIS, Nikon MF 400 f3.5 ED AIS, Nikon MF 500 f4 ED P and Nikon 600 f5.6 ED P. I use all these lenses on a regular basis and the results are excellent.
I haven't managed to use the Nikon 200-400 G VR in the field yet but I have great hopes for this lens.
I strongly advise not to use cheap lenses as you will get quite noticeable CA, softness and generally low quality image.
Cheers,
Ofer

Ed Kukla April 21st, 2009 06:02 AM

80 - 200

Ofer

How are the zoom & focus on the 80 - 200? Smooth enough to execute during recording?
Are the focus & zoom separate rings?
Does the AF work?

Thanks for the input.

E

Ofer Levy April 21st, 2009 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Kukla (Post 1119563)
Ofer

How are the zoom & focus on the 80 - 200? Smooth enough to execute during recording?
Are the focus & zoom separate rings?
Does the AF work?

Thanks for the input.

E

Hi Ed,
When using Nikon still lenses with these adaptors (from all the manufacturers) there is no automatic control of any kind as there is no communication between the lens and camera.
For focusing I use a follow focus device by RedRock so focusing is reasonably smooth. I don't zoom while recording. The focus and zoom rings are separated.

Ed Kukla April 21st, 2009 08:49 AM

Ofer

About what I expected, thanks much.

Ofer Levy April 25th, 2009 06:28 AM

New Nikon G to EX3 adaptor with Nikon G 200-400 f4 VR photos

2 Attachment(s)
Here are two photos of my new awesome combo –Sony PMW EX3 with the Nikon 200-400 G f4 VR. The blue ring is part of the adaptor.
This is the first time the new modern Nikon G lenses can be mounted on the EX3 using Mike Tapa’s new patent pending adaptor.
Mounts and Adaptors
You can now have a control on the aperture even with these lenses which don’t have an aperture ring - making it possible to enjoy the quality of the superb Nikon lenses such as the Nikkor G AF-S 200-400 f4 ED VR.
I guess there will be remarks as to the lack of a support system - I have been working with a similar system for nearly a year now and it’s just great. I will need to use the bar system just in order to mount the follow focus.
The blue and yellow rubber bands (modified balloons…(-: ) are used to control the movement of the fluid head without touching the handle.
Will post some footage obtained with this combo on my website in a few weeks.

Cheers,

Ofer
Ofer Levy Photography

Steve Phillipps April 25th, 2009 06:41 AM

It's about time someone did it, well done to Mike Tapa!
The 200-400 is a good focal length for the EX3 I have always thought, as long as you have a 2x focal length ratio in the zoom it's enough two shot sizes that'll cut (ie mid and cu), and that lens has an A1 repuatation on stills.
Steve