EX-1 users, would you be interested in a base plate like this? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Closed Thread

Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:12 PM   #16
Regular Crew

The EX1 base plate has been taking allot longer than I hoped. I have it designed, I'm just waiting for my machinist to make the prototype so I can check it. I will definitely post as soon as I have it and do a test fit.
The HPX170 / HMC150 plates have been in stock for a month and so far everyone loves them.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:40 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Here is a pic of the first prototype. I am waiting for changes to the mounting hole depths and it should be ready to go...
Attached Thumbnails
EX-1 users, would you be interested in a base plate like this?-ex1_proto1.jpg   EX-1 users, would you be interested in a base plate like this?-ex1_proto2.jpg  

Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:58 PM   #18
New Boot

nice

It looks great! Let me know when its finished... What do you think you'll sell it for?
Old October 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM   #19
Major Player

Curtis, please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm very curious about this plate and I'm not sure I understand what it does. Since there is only one attachment point on my EX1, how does your plate affect my camera? What benefit do I derive by using your plate? Is it simply to add more contact points across the bottom of the camera? How would I benefit using this instead of the mounting plate that came with my Sachtler tripod? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 09:21 PM   #20
Major Player

Curtis,

What is it roughly weighing in at?

Cheers
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:19 PM   #21
Regular Crew

At the moment, I'm using 4 Manfrotto heavy duty quick release adapters (not the smaller hexagon model) and it's working pretty well... to change the camera quickly from tripod to jib arm to shoulder brace. They were tough to find. Bought them from photographic supply house for about $45 each. They work well, but might enjoy having something a bit more substantial.
Old October 4th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Jason, It will either be the same as my other plates for the Panasonic cameras ($125) or less if my production costs are lower for this one. There is a chance it will be lower but I don't know for sure yet.

Joe, I don't have an exact weight yet but the HVX200 is 220 grams, just under 1/2 pound. This plate is smaller than that one. I don't have a scale with grams on it here but I will get the weight when the final plate is made.

Dave, The base plates I make do not replace your tripod mounting plate. They offer more mounting options for your tripod plate to attach to your camera. With my base plates you can use two screws to mount your tripod plate more securely in the 1/4" holes, and people that have a need for the larger 3/8" screw holes now have an option.

Another issue people have had with the EX1 base is the curved body doesn't offer enough of a flat surface and the tripod mount can have some flex. I don't use the EX1 so I don't have any experience with that myself, but that is what I have heard from multiple people. My base plate attaches to the camera with the 1/4" mounting hole and 4 of the smaller screws that go into the base of the camera which then gives you a larger flat surface that will eliminate all or most of the flex.

And the other reason for my base plates is to help protect the base of the camera from cracking. That has been a problem for some people with the Panasonic HVX200 and it costs about $1k to have it fixed. I haven't heard of an EX1 base cracking yet but it is definitely possible. All cameras on this level only have the small metal area around the 1/4" mounting hole and the rest of the base has plastic covering the internal frame of the camera. The plastic can flex and break under stress and allow the metal rectangle your tripod plate is attached to to flex and break the internal frame it's screwed onto. People like me that shoot sports or anything where you need to move around allot could have that problem. Every time I shoot I throw my tripod on my shoulder with the camera mounted to it to hike to different spots. If I bump the camera on something or fall it could easily crack the base without my base plate on there.
Old October 4th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #23
Trustee

Curtis,
you've certainly got me mighty interested. Just to be specific, you say:

Quote:
My base plate attaches to the camera with the 1/4" mounting hole and 4 of the smaller screws that go into the base of the camera which then gives you a larger flat surface that will eliminate all or most of the flex.
Does this mean we remove 4 screws from the base of the camera and use 4 presumably longer screws to attach the plate as well as the standard 1/4" screw?
Old October 4th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
Does this mean we remove 4 screws from the base of the camera and use 4 presumably longer screws to attach the plate as well as the standard 1/4" screw?
Exactly, I supply the longer screws and also a new 1/4" screw, and the two allen wrenches you need for them.
Old October 4th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #25
Major Player

Curtis, your plate would attach to the bottom of the EX1 using the screw holes visible in Rob's photo seen here?: http://robcollins.net/640/ex1.jpg
Old October 4th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Choice

Just in the interest of choice - here is a similar variaion on a theme. I just got it and am pleased.

DM-Accessories - EX3-SHOULDER Shoulder Brace For EX3 Camcorders
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
Curtis, your plate would attach to the bottom of the EX1 using the screw holes visible in Rob's photo seen here?: http://robcollins.net/640/ex1.jpg
I'm not sure which screw holes you are referring to. The ones on the broken tripod mount? If you look at my two pics of the prototype plate mounted to the camera (post #17) you can see the big 1/4" screw and the 4 small screws that I use. The 4 small screws are ones that are spread out over the base of the camera. If I only used the ones right next to the 1/4" hole the same thing could happen as in that picture, a broken mount. I wish the EX1 base was similar to the Panasonic's because those have 6 screw holes that I use around the edge of the plate.

And thanks for posting a link to that picture. Now I have seen a broken EX1. My base plate will help prevent that from happening.
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Tom, nice shoulder mount for your EX3. But we are talking about the EX1. I don't plan on making anything for the EX3 because there are already a few options out there.
Old October 6th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #29
Trustee

I think I can safely say we'll take at least three.
We did realise there is a problem though. The EX1 just fits inside a number of the Storm cases (iM2500, iM2600) with just enough room for a small layer of foam top and bottom. The thickness of the plate is therefore going to be a critical issue.
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #30
Major Player

Any news on when this nice product might be available?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds