EX-1 users, would you be interested in a base plate like this? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Closed Thread

Old October 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #31
Sponsor: Westside AV

I have made a plate for EX1 that improves on the light duty Sony mounting plate.

I have also repaired the broken plate in an EX1, and the threaded studs in camera.

If you are interested in ordering a plate for EX1 contact me. The new plate is available now.

olof@westsideav.com
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #32
Trustee

Olof.

Are there any pictures and a price for the EX1 plate ?

Thanks.
Paul.
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #33

I can send you info and photos. Contact me. I have been trying to become a sponsor on DVinfo, but I have not been set up yet. So I cant publish order info and photos yet.

I also make wireless mike side plate that mounts to baseplate.

olof@westsideav.com

Last edited by Olof Ekbergh; October 19th, 2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added info
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #34
Regular Crew

"Any news on when this nice product might be available? "

I don't have a date yet. Still waiting on my machinist. I will keep you guys updated.
Old December 24th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #35
Regular Crew

I have more of my Panasonic base plates being made early next week and the second EX1 prototype plate will be made at the same time. Once I get it and confirm that it fits good I will have a batch of them made.

Does anyone know if the new EX1R has the same base as the EX1? The body looks similar but I don't see any pics of the bottom of the camera online.
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #36

Curtis,

Happy Holidays.

I have been shipping the EX1 plate now for a month or so. I have expanded the line to include NanoFlash specific arms. And I will be making and shipping a few different shoulder braces that fit with my wing and plate system, and a matte-box rail holder is coming in January as well. VCT-U14 interface is in the works too.

Here is the order page.

EX1 Stronger Plates

The EX1R is a little different. It has 2 1/4" holes and a pin hole in the middle. And all the 2mm screws in the base are in a different places. It was a very good move on Sony's part, it is a much sturdier connection.

If you have any specific questions, contact me.

olof@westsideav.com
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #37
Regular Crew

My second prototype is shipping to a customer for testing today. Once we know it fits perfectly I will be making the final plates, anodizing them black and should be shipping in the next 2-3 weeks.

The final retail price will be about $99. These take less time to make than the Panasonic plates so I can pass on the savings.

Thanks to everyone for being patient... I have had allot of people interested in these and we finally have a good looking, good fitting and inexpensive base plate to offer.

www.juicedesigns.com
curtis@jdfilms.com
Attached Thumbnails
EX-1 users, would you be interested in a base plate like this?-juice_designs_ex1_prototype.jpg  
Old January 19th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Quick update. The EX1 plates are in production and will be finished next week.

I measured an EX1R yesterday and all of the screw locations are different than the EX1. I decided it would be best to create a new plate for the EX1R and not modify the EX1 plate to work on both. That way each plate will look cleaner and nothing is compromised on the EX1 baseplate to make it work with both.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:36 PM   #39
Major Player

Let me know when you have them for the EX1r. Also what quick release are you guys using for the EX1r? I do weddings and the camera needs to go on and off the tripod quickly.
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
Let me know when you have them for the EX1r. Also what quick release are you guys using for the EX1r? I do weddings and the camera needs to go on and off the tripod quickly.

I just got a batch of EX1 base plates and the EX1R prototype today. I am shipping the EX1 pre-orders I have in the morning then I am out of town until Monday night so I can start shipping again on Tuesday.

I am going to have someone test the EX1R prototype next week.

I will post some pictures of the final black anodized plates soon.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 11:48 PM   #41
Regular Crew

EX1R base plate

Here are pictures of the prototype EX1R base plate mounted to the camera.

The EX1 base plates are ready to ship.
Attached Thumbnails
EX-1 users, would you be interested in a base plate like this?-juice_designs_sony_ex1r_base_plate_1.jpg   EX-1 users, would you be interested in a base plate like this?-juice_designs_sony_ex1r_base_plate_2.jpg  

EX-1 users, would you be interested in a base plate like this?-juice_designs_sony_ex1r_base_plate_3.jpg   EX-1 users, would you be interested in a base plate like this?-juice_designs_sony_ex1r_base_plate_4.jpg  

Old February 2nd, 2010, 11:52 PM   #42
Major Player

Beautiful job, Curtis. I want one.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 07:03 AM   #43
Inner Circle

I received one of Curtis's EX1 plates today and it is indeed very well made and looks very nice. I'll get it on the camera later and report further, but I'm really impressed so far.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:54 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Thanks for the compliments Dave and Alister.

Here are a couple of pictures of the EX1 base plate.
Attached Thumbnails
EX-1 users, would you be interested in a base plate like this?-juice_designs_sony_ex1_base_plate_1.jpg   EX-1 users, would you be interested in a base plate like this?-juice_designs_sony_ex1_base_plate_2.jpg  

Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:17 AM   #45
Major Player

The main reason I want one is because I'll occasionally hoist the camera and tripod onto my shoulder to move positions. I always wished that the bottom mounting points were a little more "robust" but I still had the bad habit of carrying my rig this way on occasions. Then I started seeing those photos of ripped out bottom plates and this new mounting plate started making a lot more sense! The added screw mounting points is what makes this work. Without it, you'd still be depending on that tiny 1/4-20 screw to hold it all together.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds