EX-1 users, would you be interested in a base plate like this? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Closed Thread

Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:51 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Exactly Dave. That is what I do with my HVX200 and tripod on every shoot. I have to hike allot shooting off-road racing and there is allot of stress on the camera base when you carry it like that. My friend fell once and it broke the base which cost about $1000 for Panasonic to fix it...
The first picture on my site shows me carrying my camera like that.
Attached Thumbnails
EX-1 users, would you be interested in a base plate like this?-hvx200_base_plate.jpg  
Old February 5th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #47
New Boot

I've been checking out Curtis's plate for a few days now and it really looks good and feels solid to my EX1R camera. One of the things that was a very pleasant surprise is I can mount the Manfrotto adapter plate for my tripod in a couple of different places. It doesn't sound like a big deal at first, but for me it changes where the camera balance is, especially when loaded with a shotgun mic and receiver. Otherwise, I have only one choice with the Sony factory mount. I know that the EX1R has a stronger mounting plate than the original EX1, so it may seem a little redundant to have this plate on the camera too, but I love the flexibilty that the extra mounting holes provide. I can't see a reason for EVER taking it off! Good job Curtis!
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Quick update for the EX1R model of the base plate. I just heard from my machinist yesterday and he will be shipping them to me by next week.
Old February 25th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #49
Regular Crew

The EX1R base plates will start shipping tomorrow!

Here is a review by Alister at xdcam-user http://www.xdcam-user.com/?page_id=636
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:02 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Hey everyone. I ran out of EX1 base plates so I am making more. With a little push from a customer I am making them with an accessory arm mount. I am also making the arms. I hope to have them within a couple of weeks and will post pictures. You can currently pre-order on my site for $99 (base plate without the arm). When they are in stock I will most likely be moving them up to the $125 price like my other base plates are so this is a good time to order. I don't have a price on the arms yet but they might be around $30. Once I know they will be added to the site.

If you currently own one of my base plates and would like the accessory arm I am going to try and figure out a trade in solution, and/or a discount for the new style plate. Please PM me if interested in this.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:27 PM   #51
Major Player

How are you planning on fitting the arm, do you have any images or CAD yet?
I'm interested in buying an EX1 plate, but if you're upgrading I'll wait for the new kit.

Cheers, Duncan.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:57 PM   #52
Regular Crew

I am completely out of the EX1 base plates so if you order now you will get the new one (And at the $99 price) when they are available. Once the arms are added to the site you can place an order for one and I can ship them together.

I attached a drawing of what it looks like with the arm mounted. The arms are 2" wide and has a bend in it that goes up the side of the camera about 4". It has multiple holes for mounting accessories. The new base plates will have an area machined out so the arm sits flush with the base. And the four screws used to mount it will be countersunk so it will not interfere with your tripod mount. And of course the base plate will work just fine without the arm mounted. I'm sure there will still be allot of people that don't need the arms. This new arm option is just an added bonus for the people that need it.
Attached Thumbnails
EX-1 users, would you be interested in a base plate like this?-ex1_base_plate_juice_designs.jpg  
Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:19 PM   #53
Major Player

I've placed an order, looking forward to receiving it sometime soon. Duncan.
Old June 15th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #54
Regular Crew

I have the new EX1 base plates in stock now and the new accessory arms. Here are a couple of pictures. I am still waiting for the hot shoes to come in that I am going to include with the accessory arm. I am out of town until the 22nd so hopefully they will come in by then and I can start shipping them. Some of the pre-orders that didn't want the accessory arm shipped today.

I am working on a secondary accessory arm that will work with this one also for more mounting options. And my next run of EX1R base plates will have the accessory arm mount just like the EX1.
Attached Thumbnails
EX-1 users, would you be interested in a base plate like this?-juice_designs_ex1_arm1.jpg   EX-1 users, would you be interested in a base plate like this?-juice_designs_ex1_arm2.jpg  

Old June 20th, 2010, 06:09 AM   #55
Inner Circle

I'm interested in one of the baseplates for the EX1r with the accessory bracket.
Old June 20th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #56
Major Player

Will it fit on the EX3?
Old June 20th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #57
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Brun View Post
Will it fit on the EX3?
Further up the thread Curtis indicated he would not be making one for the EX3 since there were others already available.

Due to the different curve of the bottom of the camera the EX1 plate won't fit the EX3.

Maybe if there is enough demand he will change his mind.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds