EX1 Editing Platform at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 26th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Trustee

EX1 Editing Platform

Next month I will be getting an EX-1. I am still undecided on what platform to edit on. I desire native editing (no transcoding) and real-time viewing on an HD-TV. I am researching Premiere CS4 with intensity pro card output and Edius 5 with HDspark card output. Either one fits the high-end of my budget. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on these choices?

Thanks....
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

My experience has been that Edius 5 is very stable and, from my own experience, probably the most efficient and stable NL editor for HD in its price range. This conclusion is based on comparing performance on the same MacPro with FCP, Vegas 8 and PP2. My understanding, based on collegues who have a PP system, is that to get anything like a similar performance with PP, you will need to add the Matrox RTX2; I also get the impression that the current PP is less stable than Edius, but no doubt other users will be able to advise you on that.
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

CS3/WinXP here until Adobe releases PP 4.1, but I have few qualms about it's ability/stability editing native EXx footage. No special cards required on my 2+ yo PC (other than NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500) for real-time performance. Perhaps a card would assist RT playback when stacking effects.

Will likely move to Vista with the CS4 upgrade.

Oh, and native EX editing was not available with PP2.

Bill
www.treehousemedia.net
Bill Heslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Have you considered Vegas?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #5
Trustee

I use Premiere CS3 together with the Matrox RTX2 card and can import and edit all the clips without any problems. It is very fast. The ChromaKey function is excellent too, it works in real time, i.e. instant.
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Have you considered Vegas?
Does Vegas offer true real time out through HDMI? Or is it preview? I know Edius is 100% real RT full raster out through HDMI. Don't know about Premiere as I jumped off that unstable ship years ago.
Michael Dontigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dontigney View Post
Don't know about Premiere as I jumped off that unstable ship years ago.
So Mike, if you "don't know about Premiere" (Pro), why do you feel compelled to discredit it? I would not have considered the Premiere of old either, but to make remarks that reflect poorly on Premiere Pro based upon outdated information is not constructive (unless you have personal working knowledge of a recent version, then you can complain :-)).

I'm sure Edius is a fine program.
Bill Heslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Heslip View Post
So Mike, if you "don't know about Premiere" (Pro), why do you feel compelled to discredit it? I would not have considered the Premiere of old either, but to make remarks that reflect poorly on Premiere Pro based upon outdated information is not constructive (unless you have personal working knowledge of a recent version, then you can complain :-)).

I'm sure Edius is a fine program.
That's why I said I didn't know about Premiere. Years ago it was unstable. Haven't tried it since Pro 1.5 which was also unstable.
So, is it stable and really RT now or is it still preview only?
Michael Dontigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #9
Major Player

Moved from the PC platform in 2002, in order to operate FCp 3.
Been using ever since and not looked back.
FCP studio is a dream suite.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Old April 30th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I produce a one-hour fishing show on an Intel Mac Pro. Includes compositing with After Effects and the entire show is color corrected and graded with Apple's Color.

I was using a 2.5 GHz G5 but rendering in Color would have taken way too long. The Intel Mac made it a practical process. Same with AE.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:24 AM   #11
Regular Crew

You could try NewTek SpeedEdit v1.5.5.
It reads native MP4 files from the EX1/EX3, has exellent color grading tools and works even on computers that are older than 2 months.

Don't know about Edius 5.x but I do know that Edius v4.6 has limitations (no 1080p25, no full range output formats, no output support for the freeware HuffYUV codec) and their jpg2000 (Infinity) ingest tool is not as nice as the EX ingest tool from Sony.

A very long time ago I worked with Premiere and found some of their poststamp size previews difficult to work with.

Best to try different applications before you buy.
Vincent Mesman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds