Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import for XDCAM EX at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 27th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #1
Wrangler

Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import for XDCAM EX

Anyone who attended the NAB 09 Final Cut Pro Supermeet may have seen my demonstration of Calibrated{Q} Software's MP4-EX Import.
The basic idea is that MP4 files generated by the Sony EX1/EX3 or JVC HM100/HM700 can now be used immediately without wrapping them in quicktime.
In the case of the Mac (specifically Final Cut Pro) this means that MP4 wrapped XDCAM EX files can now be dragged and dropped into FCP just as easily as the MOV wrapped files.
FCP will automatically recognize the MP4 files as XDCAM EX. You can even open the MP4 files in Quicktime player after MP4-EX Import is installed. There's no more need for Sony's XDCAM Transfer or JVC's clip manager software of "Log & Transfer."

It even works on MP4 files that have been "orphaned" from their original file structure and accompanying files.

The software will be available soon (May 2009) for download purchase.

Calibrated Software

Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import for Mac OSX

Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import for Windows
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I beta tested the Mac version. Works like a champ.

One of the neat things is that you can drop the MP4 into Compressor or Telestream Episode and make Window Time Code Burn Ins without have to go into an NLE and using a time code filter.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #3
Trustee

Craig: I never use a NLE for window burns anymore. Just use Compressor. But it's true, this new software will save the step of unwrapping them into MOV's.

Tim: I was at the Super Meet. I should have introduced myself. But I've got a couple of questions about this exciting new software:

1) How will files that span two or more cards be joined? I guess we can still use Clip Browser for that.

2) How about logging and naming files? I've grown to like using XDCAM Transfer to mark clips as OK and only import them. I also liked how I can select a group of clips, name them and then when unwrapped using XDCAM Transfer, they are named sequentially.

3) What about Adobe products (After Effects). How come this software won't enable them to work with MP4's?

I realize there's nothing stopping me from the continued use of Clip Browser and Transfer, I'm just wondering if this new software has additional solutions as well. Or maybe there's a workflow that I haven't thought of yet.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds