50p recording for 25p project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 27th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

50p recording for 25p project

I shot a project in 50p 1/100 shutter, put it in a 25p project timeline. Image is jerky and looks almost as if it was double speed.

Shot another test image in 25p 1/100 shutter, put it in a 25p project timeline. Image looks fine.

Why is there a difference?

How would one go about shooting 50p (for occasional slomo effects) but also make it usefull as regular 25p normal speed footage? I know that 1/50 shutter is way better and smoother, but thats a tradeoff I can live with.. However when recording 50p, the fast shutter is not the only thing making the image unsmooth, and I don't understand why.
Nik Skjoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The edit software is probably dropping every other frame to get down from 50fps to 25fps. It has to do something to the original to change the frame rate otherwise it would always be slowmo. Not using any shutter would have looked a bit smoother as you would have ended up with the equivalent to a 180 degree shutter, i.e. the frame only exposed for 50% of the time.
Old April 27th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

naturally the NLE is dropping every other frame. Thats kinda the idea. You could harshly say that 25p recording, is dropping every other frame compared to 50p recording.

Nevertheless... Whether the camera is dropping frames or the NLE does it, should render the same result, but dosn't... question.. why.?
Nik Skjoth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds