EX3 Baseplate/Nikon G adapter/gun sight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 29th, 2009, 02:55 AM   #1
Major Player

EX3 Baseplate/Nikon G adapter/gun sight

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...1&d=1240994924

I purchased an EX3 because of its potential for nature photography thanks largely to the ability to change lenses. Like many others I was disappointed with the tripod attachment point and the subsequent need to provide something better. As I had considerable success with a side –mount tripod head on a PD150 I wanted to do the same for the EX3. A big attraction of the side mount for me is the low level capability. Another is that if the camera is mounted so that the tilt axis is aligned with the camera’s centre of gravity the fluid head does not need compensatory springs etc, so the head can be lighter.

The pictures show a base-plate that includes the possibilities of: -
Side mounting from either above or below.
Control of certain lenses from the rear.
Easier handholding including a snap-in shoulder support.
Support for long lenses and the availability of a 1x gun sight to make it easier to find the subject when using long lenses.

As there was no mount available for Nikon G lenses I made a mount with an aperture control.

The stainless steel tube provides a mounting point for the lens mount, the gun sight and the “cotton reel”. When handholding some of the weight of the camera can be supported by the tube using the left hand – the “cotton reel” being positioned in the web between thumb and forefinger thereby leaving fingers available for tweaking focus etc. It is a setup that makes handholding much easier and easier again if the shoulder support is used.
The tripod is attached using a round section of stainless steel. This allows the camera to be moved closer or further from the tripod head, e.g. to accommodate the grip of the standard lens the gap has to be large. The camera can also be inclined forward or backwards relative to the head by rotating the camera on this bar before clamping. Thus a heavy lens can be compensated for by tilting the camera backwards or conversely forwards for a lighter lens. It saves the use of a hefty camera plate. Further adjustment can be achieved by selecting a different hole for the bar in the mounting block.
For my PD150 I used a flexible pan/tilt handle. This time I have done the same but the ability to use longer lenses has lead to further experiments. A piece of flexible tubing that extends past the handle end is showing promise. The more flexible the connection the harder it is to transmit vibrations to the camera. With the tube you can select the flexibility by moving one’s grip towards or away from the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
EX3 Baseplate/Nikon G adapter/gun sight-dvinfonet-pictures-29-4-09-9-7-_page_3.jpg   EX3 Baseplate/Nikon G adapter/gun sight-dvinfonet-pictures-29-4-09-9-7-_page_5.jpg  

EX3 Baseplate/Nikon G adapter/gun sight-dvinfonet-pictures-29-4-09-9-7-_page_1.jpg   EX3 Baseplate/Nikon G adapter/gun sight-dvinfonet-pictures-29-4-09-9-7-_page_2.jpg  

Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:54 AM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

Looks very nice.

Are you thinking about marketing any or all of it?

I especially like the snap-in shoulder plate. I bet all this took a while.

I have been working on my EX3 as well, I actually added a removable wood and aluminum shoulder brace / IDX battery holder and a side plate for wireless mike and custom bracket for Q-vision top monitor Tele-prompter.

I know it takes a lot of time to get things right.

Good job.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Very well done!

Except, I don't get the focus knob being on the right side. Your right hand is on the pan handle, your left hand should be focusing. Most focus wheels are on the rails up front on the eyepiece side. I would think the band on the focus barrel could be twisted 90d and the knob could be attached to the rail on the eyepiece side
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #4
Major Player

That looks pretty slick

I'm curious about the tripod, I haven't seen any modern side mount heads other than the Varizoom zero gravity. If you have a chance to post a few more photos I'd like to see one with it mounted on the tripod.
Very nice job, well thought out, and it appears precisely constructed.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Major Player

Nice job Alistair. The setup looks very smart.

By the way there are Nikon G and DX series to PMW-EX3 adaptors with adjustable aperture control available right now from us.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
Looks very nice.

I especially like the snap-in shoulder plate. I bet all this took a while.
Good job.
Hi Olof,
Re snap-in shoulder support: - Before I abandoned the Sony shoulder pad I made up the following device to do the same job, it can be fitted and removed in seconds. It is very light and easily shaped.

Alastair

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/images/attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
EX3 Baseplate/Nikon G adapter/gun sight-_dsc0663-version-2.jpg   EX3 Baseplate/Nikon G adapter/gun sight-_dsc0665-version-2.jpg  

Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #7
Major Player

[QUOTE=Denis OKeefe;1134928]I'm curious about the tripod, I haven't seen any modern side mount heads other than the Varizoom zero gravity. If you have a chance to post a few more photos I'd like to see one with it mounted on the tripod.

Hi Denis,

I have just posted a thread on a lightweight tripod / fluid head combination under "sticks".
The side mount head shown in this thread is very similar to the one in my current project but is machined from a 1.5" square bar whereas the current version is machined from a 2" square bar. The new head has a novel feature that I will leave to a future post.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds