DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Buying additional BP-U30 batteries (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/235094-buying-additional-bp-u30-batteries.html)

Jamie Roberts May 11th, 2009 12:43 AM

Buying additional BP-U30 batteries

Hi all

Got my brand new Ex1 last week...woohoo!

I hadnt gotten around to looking into buying additional batteries but after today when I got the new cam out to do some practising with it, I found I had left the cam on 'media' and the battery was completely flat...a bit annoying!!

So where's the best place to get batteries?? (ie cheapest!) Are only the Sony ones available? Are there alternatives in the market?

Cheers

Jamie

James Huenergardt May 11th, 2009 08:21 AM

There are a couple of options.

Sony makes a BP-U60 which will last much longer than the BP-U30 which comes with the camera.

Sony | BP-U60 Lithium-Ion Battery | BP-U60 | B&H Photo Video

Swit makes a battery S-8U62 that works as well.

The Swit battery uses the 12v power jack in the back of the EX1. That means you can't see how much battery is left in the LCD monitor on the EX1. It also has a D-Tap power socket that allows you to power other devices like a light using the same battery.

Akbar Ukani May 11th, 2009 08:33 AM

I purchased my camera and an additional battery from

bhphotoandvideo.com

They are around $249.00...It is a trusted seller and I would recommend them every time.

Paul Kellett May 11th, 2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Huenergardt (Post 1141191)
The Swit battery uses the 12v power jack in the back of the EX1. That means you can't see how much battery is left in the LCD monitor on the EX1. .

But you can see how much voltage is left in the battery, and you can set it the same as the sony battery.

I have my camera set so i get my warnings on the sony battery at 5% and 3%, i've set the camera so that on the swit battery the warnings come at 13.5 volts and 13 volts.
When using the swit battery, on the screen instead of minutes left i have volts left.
If i was going to buy another battery i'd get another swit, mainly because of the d-tap connector which allows me to use an on camera light, i use a swit s-2000.
Also the battery doesn't have to be connected to the camera to work, so i can use the swit light and battery as a stand alone light.

Paul.

C.S. Michael May 11th, 2009 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Roberts (Post 1141069)
Hi all

I found I had left the cam on 'media' and the battery was completely flat...a bit annoying!!

Annoying indeed... I've accidentally drained my EX1 battery so many times, now I just pop it out of the camera entirely in order to make certain it doesn't happen again. The on/off/media switch is a ridiculous design.

Jamie Roberts May 11th, 2009 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.S. Michael (Post 1141258)
Annoying indeed... I've accidentally drained my EX1 battery so many times, now I just pop it out of the camera entirely in order to make certain it doesn't happen again.

I might need to get into that habit too michael!

Thanks for the replies

Jamie

Keith Moreau May 13th, 2009 10:25 PM

I have a couple of the BP-U30's and was considering getting a BP-U60 but instead I got a Tekkeon Lithium Ion system, 100 Watt-Hours for about $200. With the right adapter end (which you can get at RadioShack, the "D" adapter, it will power the EX for a very long time. I use it a lot with my DVRig Pro, I rigged it to hang of the shoulder mounting put that is meant for V-batteries. I can go all day (probably many days) and it's light and easily chargeable.

The thing I like about the Tekkeon is that it has variable selectable output, so if you don't need to power your 12v EX but need to power your 16v laptop or your monitor and your EX, or whatever, you can do that. When I do long tripod shoots I use it and just put it in a bag hanging from my tripod and I don't ever have to worry about power.

Anyway, thought I'd just let you know about what I think is a pretty versatile solution.

Craig Terott May 18th, 2009 07:58 AM

Get SWIT batteries. Less money than the Sony batteries and you've got the option to add the SWIT LED light powered right from the D-tap on the battery.

Kevin Spahr May 18th, 2009 07:36 PM

Keith, which Tekkeon model are you using?

Keith Moreau May 19th, 2009 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr (Post 1145101)
Keith, which Tekkeon model are you using?

I'm using the 3450 and the 3450-10 and a Radio Shack D style tip connector for the EX1 DC in.

I prefer the 3450 rather than the automatic power sensing 3750 because sometimes I split the 12v output between the EX and a 12v monitor and didn't want problems, but the 3750 is probably easier.

Tekkeon - myPower ALL, MP3300/MP3400/MP3450

Adaptaplug™ D - RadioShack.com