How do you monitor your footage during post in Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 11th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How do you monitor your footage during post in Mac

I am looking at options to monitoring my XDCam EX1 1080p24 & 720p24 footage....The blackmagic intensity pro hdmi card will not work...

What other options are out there as far monitoring xdcam footage is concerned?....btw I am on a Mac Pro with FCP 6.0.4...Monitor on A TV or monitor on a HDMI Computer Monitor...so many options...so much confusion? Will an Apple 30" Cinema Display be sufficient enough?...Please give me some options.
Akbar Ukani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #2
Major Player

The Matrox MXO or MXO2 will work.

If you want to see all the pixels, you'll need a monitor like the Dell 24" or Apple 23" or larger.
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Huenergardt View Post
The Matrox MXO or MXO2 will work.

If you want to see all the pixels, you'll need a monitor like the Dell 24" or Apple 23" or larger.
How are MXO AND MXO Mini different? Is one better than the other?
Akbar Ukani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Oversimplified but
MXO - Monitor Output only (DVI)
MXO2 Mini - HDMI in plus Monitor Out (HDMI)
MXO2 - HD-SDI in plus Monitor Out (HDMI)
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akbar Ukani View Post
The blackmagic intensity pro hdmi card will not work...
Why doesn't the bm card work?
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #6
Regular Crew

AJA IO HD -> HDLINK -> Apple 23" LCD

AJA IO HD -> HDLINK -> Apple 23" LCD
Will Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #7
Major Player

The BM Intensity card is great if you want to monitor via Television - in FCP, the canvas window is displayed. It is not accurate for any color work but does give you a good idea for editing purposes - it cannot however be used as a second monitor like an Apple display.
Two 23 inch Apple displays is the best way to go or a single 30 inch.
The 23 inch display is fairly accurate and can be calibrated with reasonable results - it's one of the best that is out there - Dell and HP also have good monitors, but I prefer the Apple. The Eizo displays are very comparable to the Apple and models such as EIZO / ColorEdge CG242W claim to be good for video post-production.
What type of Mac pro? The new ones come with a DVI connector for older 23 or 30 inch displays and a new mini-dv display connector for the new Apple displays (which are not really available yet - the 24 inch is for laptops).
For myself with a new 8-core Mac Pro, I am waiting for the new displays from Apple. I run the 23 inch at the moment.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #8
Major Player

That's what I'd hoped--I'm using the dvi outputs from the mac pro for 2 lcd's and the bm card for a Sony NTSC monitor and Vizio HD tv, but hadn't hooked the Vizio up yet.
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #9
Trustee

It's not cheap, but we use an AJA Io HD and a JVC DT-V24L3DU 24-inch monitor. The signal flow is Firewire 800 output > AJA Io HD Firewire 800 input > AJA Io HD HD-SDI out > JVC DT-V24L3DU HD-SDI input.

I can edit in Final Cut Pro natively in 1080 30p XDCAM EX and monitor the signal in 1080 30p (actually 29.97 or 30). Or we can have the AJA Io HD transcode the HD signal into SD and view SD on the monitor live. (this is a nice feature)

We're very happy with it. Although I would look at the new AJA Ki-Pro and see if could be used instead of the Io HD.
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:55 AM   #10
Regular Crew

When I try monitoring xdcam ex 720p50 footage with my new mbp17/2.93/fcp6.05/fast fw800-drive - either using "digital cinema desktop preview" (apple f12) or matrox mxo i dont have smooth playback. every pan shutters and stutters. Why? Is it because the apple cinema 23 display is 60hz? (and i live in a 50 hz -country, using 50p)?
Thomas Diehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #11
New Boot

I have the bm intensity card and I have viewed 1080 30p footage on it from final cut.It doesn't have it as a option as a playback but if you play your 1080 30p footage from final cut it will play through to a monitor.
A good option I have found is inexpensive is a 24 inch dell monitor with a hdmi port on it. Only $300.00 and works good as a external monitor as well as a computer monitor.
Van Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Diehl View Post
When I try monitoring xdcam ex 720p50 footage with my new mbp17/2.93/fcp6.05/fast fw800-drive - either using "digital cinema desktop preview" (apple f12) or matrox mxo i dont have smooth playback. every pan shutters and stutters. Why? Is it because the apple cinema 23 display is 60hz? (and i live in a 50 hz -country, using 50p)?

Yes. The fact that almost no (is there one?) computer displays can show 50 Hz is really a problem for us outside of the U S of A.
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #13
Sponsor: Westside AV

The bottom line is you really need a grading quality monitor (like, JVC DT-V24L3DU 24-inch monitor mentioned above) and an SDI or component output card or external interface.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds