Another EX3 Mod. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 13th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Another EX3 Mod.

I have needed a monitor for the clients to look at while shooting not a big one but something which a client can look at while standing or sitting next to me during interviews, also for when I use my Track and Dolly, it’s nice to be able to view the picture from the side of the camera while pulling or pushing the Dolly.
I had an Archos unit anyway which I carry full of films and stuff to watch when on long journeys.
I made a bracket up from bits and pieces to fit the front Shoe and some heavy duty Velcro on the Archos unit and bracket, cable hooked up to the Monitor Out on the EX3.
The nice thing about the Archos over an ordinary LCD is with its hard drive I can record the output from the Composite feed and Audio at the same time, why I would need it I don’t know but it’s there anyway.
Made a huge difference to my Tracks.
Attached Thumbnails
Another EX3 Mod.-13052009050.jpg   Another EX3 Mod.-13052009051.jpg  

Another EX3 Mod.-13052009052.jpg  
Mark Twittey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Trustee

That's exactly what i need Mark.
How much is the archos ?
What size is the screen ?
What connection are you using ?
I saw a different mount which would do the trick, for mounting the screen on a car headrest, when you pull a car headrest up a bit you see the 2 bars which allow the headrest to slide up and down, the mount i saw clamps to those 2 bars, now i'm thinking of clamping that to the top of my tripod legs, near the top where the legs bars are widest.

Paul.
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Well I have an Archos 604 (wifi version, screen not as good visually as the plain 604/504 as the wifi version is a touch screen) and an EX3 too..... Now you've got me thinking! Screen is about 4 inch diagonal but resolution is not too hot, adequate and certainly watchable though. 604's now discontinued. Archos now make a 5 and a 7 (7 has a 7 inch screen), 5 has a 4 inch screen about, go figure! :-) BTW, you also need the adapter (at the bottom of the Archos) as well as the Archos to enable it to input composite video....I used to Mod on a big Archos forum so know all the ins and outs of these units. They can be a bit buggy but if you get a good one they knock the pants off an iPod Touch (but don't look as good!) and are far more flexible on playing various codecs (if you buy the extra Archos plug-ins etc.).

Link to a forum with tons of info below (I was Andy W on this forum, don't use it now). Also use google for the Archos website and all the sales blurb...

http://forum.archosfans.com/index.ph...572469629934b7
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I am using an Archos 504, which is a 4.5" approx widescreen.
They do up to a 7", go to archos.com and check them out.
I got mine from a UK online dealer, theres plenty about you can see them at most Dixons.
My wife runs a Mystery shopping company, and she uses these recorders with hidden cameras to record mystery shops, they have proved very robust.
I have conected the Archos to the Monitor out on the EX3.
Mine is an old model it cost about £180.00, you can now get a 7" for £200.00 now.
The only thing to watch is you may need to get an adapter which is an optional extra to be able to input AV.
I thinking of getting the 7", I had a play with one and it was nice.

Last edited by Mark Twittey; May 13th, 2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Major Player

a little off subject, but it looks like you have the wideangle, AND the matte box on, how did you do that. I cant get the little lens hood off my WA. It would be nice to be able to have both on, I was getting killed by lens flares outside yesterday, but I needed the WA on. for the shots I was getting.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Great set-up, Mark.

What kind of reinforcing plate is that I'm seeing between the EX-3 and the rails? Can't quite make it out.
Paul Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
a little off subject, but it looks like you have the wideangle, AND the matte box on, how did you do that. I cant get the little lens hood off my WA. It would be nice to be able to have both on, I was getting killed by lens flares outside yesterday, but I needed the WA on. for the shots I was getting.
I have the new wide angle lens and the sunshade comes off like any other, just unscrew the tension screw on side.
And and FYI the outside diameter of the new lens is 100mm. My Cavision matte box works perfect with it, I just remove the 77mm lens ring from matte box.(for regular lens)
Once removed the matte box mounting ring is a perfect 100mm. And can be clamped on or rails. And it does not vignette! And its not $1495.00 like the Arri, that claims to be the only matte box to not vignette on the new lens.

P.S. getting my second EX-3 on Friday!
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Davenport View Post
I have the new wide angle lens and the sunshade comes off like any other, just unscrew the tension screw on side.
And and FYI the outside diameter of the new lens is 100mm. My Cavision matte box works perfect with it, I just remove the 77mm lens ring from matte box.(for regular lens)
Once removed the matte box mounting ring is a perfect 100mm. And can be clamped on or rails. And it does not vignette! And its not $1495.00 like the Arri, that claims to be the only matte box to not vignette on the new lens.

P.S. getting my second EX-3 on Friday!
my WA doesnt have a tension screw for the lens hood, its permantly mounted. guess I am out of luck. its either the newer, or the older vcl-ex0877. oh well.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Your talking about a wide angle "adapter", I was talking about the new Fujinon XS8X4AS-XB8 8x Wide angle lens for EX3.
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #10
Regular Crew

G'day Ian
The WA adapter lens hood soes not come off, you need to cut it off, see the link below

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...done-tips.html.

G'day Paul
It's a DM Accessories plate in Black.
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:26 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twittey View Post
G'day Ian
The WA adapter lens hood soes not come off, you need to cut it off, see the link below

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...done-tips.html.

G'day Paul
It's a DM Accessories plate in Black.
Thanks very much Mark. The plate looks a whole lot sleeker than the unfinished versions I've seen previously.
Paul Shapiro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds