PMW-EX1 & Rode NTG-1 loose fit? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 20th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Digital Photography Review

PMW-EX1 & Rode NTG-1 loose fit?

Ok, call this a newbie faceplant but I'm finding it a bit hard to understand why the mic mount on the EX1 is such a loose fit with an NTG-1... I understand you don't want it to be a tight fit because of transmitting vibrations to the mic but it's so loose it moves around all the time.
Phil Askey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Made large to accommodate the widest range of brands and models, I think. The Sony shotguns are also a loose fit. I wrap my Sennheiser with a piece of foam and put that in the microphone cradle. Does three things: isolates the microphone, takes up the room and provides some flexibility if the microphone accidentely hits something.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I imagine that the EX3 and EX1 share the same mic mount. I have the EX3, and for my sennheiser and audio techinca mics I just cut a piece from an old ripped bicycle tire to fit the diameter of my mic, then I glued and sewed the tire piece ends together with an extra durable string ( I used linen). As I'm relatively new to this forum I can't yet post pictures. It works great, costs nothing and because it is rubber it can fit any mic and gets a perfect tight fit with the mount (I imagine that is absorbs some of the vibrations as well, but that is negligible as the mount itself is pretty basic).
Jonathan Massey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Major Player

I use this

Rycote | Medium Hole Softie Mount & CCA | 037306 | B&H Photo

The barrel fits snugly in the EX3 mount, even with the Rycote Softie, and the isolator works awesome.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Just loop you XLR cable through

I just loop my XLR cable through the mic mount. The added width of the cable makes it fit perfectly.
Troy Teuscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 06:45 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Teuscher View Post
I just loop my XLR cable through the mic mount. The added width of the cable makes it fit perfectly.
I like that idea Troy..Good thinking! I will give it a go

Jamie
Jamie Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #7
Regular Crew

filling the gap

One method I use which works well is, take an old inner tube from a road bike, cut a short length around 8cm in length. Pull the piece of rubber over your microphone! and then roll up each end to form a small doughnut the size being determined by the amount of space you wish to take up. In doing this you create a small rubber shock mount of sorts. When fitted into the mic holder you achieve a good snug fit. very low/no cost solution.
Eric A Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Eric,
I think we both use the same method. Works great. the rubber is tough so you don't need to worry about it wearing down with time and use (unlike foam). As far as using the mic cable, I'm really not into risking damaging my mic cables by squeezing the cable on a regular basis.
Jonathan Massey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds