EX3 & Working Solid State Drive (SSD) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 24th, 2009, 05:26 AM   #31
Major Player

As the SSD pulls around 100mA, I wonder how much the RocketFish enclosure draws? according to your 7 hour and 20 minute life cycle of the BPU30, this gives your consumption at around 750mA - I guess with a switched mode converter, you could well get double that duration - assuming the RocketFish pulls 200mA (should be less)

Alex quoted about 95% efficiency for his DC to DC convertor which is pretty high, many I've looked at quote 80%

Interesting, it would be great if a single BPU30 could run a set up for 12 hours - if the total power needs were say 2W @5V you should achieve this easily with a 90% efficient convertor -

just thinking aloud here, more testing to do...

Barry - fantastic ingest speeds !!

Paul
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newman View Post
As the SSD pulls around 100mA, I wonder how much the RocketFish enclosure draws? according to your 7 hour and 20 minute life cycle of the BPU30, this gives your consumption at around 750mA - Paul
The BP-U30 battery is rated at 1.9 Amp-Hrs or 1900 ma-hrs. Divide that by 7.33 hrs of use and you get 260 ma. This is the total current draw for the SSD, the Case with controller/status light and the inefficiency of the regulator. Not sure how you arrived at 750 ma?

I'm sure a switching regulator is more efficient and will provide some benefit. For argument's sake say 100 ma for the SSD and 100 ma for the Case/controller/status light. So at 80-90% switching regulator efficiency that would work out to roughly 9 hrs of battery life.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #33
Regular Crew

first let me say.. thank you...
I'm a little confused
I ordered the ex v5v from Alex
Barry you stated that
"And finally the Rocketfish SSD case is capable of USB bus-powering without an external 5 volt supply. The SATA port however does require the external 5 volt supply."
I want to run two ssd
I ordered the rocketfish ssd's
Do I need a different product from Alex.. he sent the v5v with one 2.1 plug
He said to run two drives cut off the connector and put two 2.1 plugs.. is that the way to get the most efficient power? or should it be wired different internally?
Am I on the right track...
Thanks
Robert Musiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
And finally the Rocketfish SSD case is capable of USB bus-powering without an external 5 volt supply. The SATA port however does require the external 5 volt supply.
But it still needs battery powering when using the express card cable for recording, correct?
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Hey Mike...
Not sure.. trying to stay on track with this...

Can someone clear this up a little... thx

Dolgin v5v with one 2.1mm plug to power (1)corsair ssd drive in a roketfish case
(1)express 34 card reader modified

For (2) ssd's
Cut off 2.1mm plug and attach (2) 2.1mm plugs
Use two modified express 34 readers with two usb cables coming out of ex3 to drives..

1 up60 Battery should power both drives for over 10 hours
Is this right?
Robert Musiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #36
Major Player

Your math is right based on 14.4 volts, but you're running at 5v ?

260mA at 14.4 volts = 3.744 W = 7.4 hours approx - correct.

Your rig is running at 5v 260mA = 1.3 W = 21 hours approx

the regulator loss is: 9v drop at 260mA drawn = 2.3W

I'm not making an issue of this, just hoping that we can get this thing to run for ages on a single quick charge battery :-)

I hope I'm right, but probably not, Ha Ha! my days of maths are long over - Cheers!

Paul
Old May 24th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #37
Contributor

Paul, you are right. The easy way to do it in your head is if you have a 5V linear voltage regulator, when powering with a 10V power source, 1/2 is wasted as heat, another half goes to the load. In our case at 14.4V power it is even worse, most of the battery charge is wasted. When using a switching voltage regulator almost all of the battery charge is delivered to the drive, making it run very long.
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #38
Major Player

Rocketfish Power Plug

I went out and actually purchased a power plug for the Rocketfish case to double check its size.

Turns out is a 1.3 mm plug. Sorry about that Alex.
Old May 24th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chandler View Post
But it still needs battery powering when using the express card cable for recording, correct?
The EX camera does not have 5 volts available via the ExpressCard bus, so the SSD's will need an external source of 5 volts. Enter the need for the Dolgin power adaptor to make good use of the Sony BP-U30 battery that came with the camera. Cheers!
Old May 24th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #40
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
I went out and actually purchased a power plug for the Rocketfish case to double check its size.

Turns out is a 1.3 mm plug. Sorry about that Alex.
Do you have the part number?
Thx
Old May 24th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Dolgin View Post
Do you have the part number?
Thx
A picture is best the answer. As you can see the barrel can be slightly shorter if need be.
Attached Thumbnails
EX3 & Working Solid State Drive (SSD)-1.3mm-dc-power-plug.jpg  
Old May 24th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #42
Contributor

OK Barry
Thank you
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #43
Major Player

DIY Switching Regulator

The adventure continues. With all the interest in more efficient switching regulators, I decided to search out yet another DIY option for powering the EX1/3 SSD(s). I tried to narrow my search for a Canadian supplier and I discovered the Aimtec switching regulator. Designed in Canada, less than a year old, manufactured in far east and available from several distributors around the globe. I ordered my pieces from DComponents in the US at $20.85. It shipped in 3 days from Montreal Canada and it just arrived this afternoon.

The AMSR1-7805-NZ is a pin-for-pin replacement for the linear 7805 regulator and has 88-93% efficiency depending on the input voltage. So for the Sony BP-U30/60 battery delivering between 12-16 volts output that translates to a 90% efficiency rating for a 5 volt output. As you can see from the attached photo it easily fits inside the Dolgin power adaptor.

It will take a day or so to measure the actual battery life with the AMSR1-7805-NZ switching regulator powering the Corsair SSD.
Attached Thumbnails
EX3 & Working Solid State Drive (SSD)-aimtec-switching-regulator.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AMSR1-78-NZ Spec Sheet.pdf (235.6 KB, 612 views)

Last edited by Barry J. Anwender; May 28th, 2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #44
Major Player

Hi Barry,

Very cool, I also found a source of Aimtec convertors in the UK, they are 2W versions, but with similar characteristics, even at 80% efficiency you should get 11 hours running for a single Corsair drive if the consumption doesn't exceed 2 watts or 400mA, if current consumption is less, you get longer, and this from a BPU30 - (28W) a BPU60 (56W) should give exactly double that, or 2 drives for 11 hours each - Awsome indeed !!

2W DC-DC Convertors > Maplin

Paul
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #45
Major Player

Paul, the 2W regulator should work if you stay with the USB interface. The eSATA-2 interface draws more power and this is understandable for the speed that comes with it. I have measured the actual 5-volt current draw using both interfaces for continuous read and write data transfers. See the attached:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SSD-Case 5-volt Current Draw.pdf (24.6 KB, 392 views)
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds