EX3 & Working Solid State Drive (SSD) - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:34 AM   #61
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your post.

We have been working on an Expresscard to HDD and SSD via USB, with a SATA interface for a little while, and we will be announcing the product next Monday.

We’re just doing the artwork, and packaging and we are ready to release. I’d like to wait until Monday to give you the full technical specifications, so if you could hold your questions until then that would be help me actually get the artwork and packaging done!

It's quite something to be able to record for 5 hours without worrying about changing cards or even worse tapes. Reminds me of my Panasonic DV200, that could record 4h 45mins on one tape.

Stick an MxR with a Sandisk 32GB card in it and good to go for 7 hours without reaching for your production bag.

But really 7 hours! Too long to be standing.

Just a little teaser, you can elect to use your own HDD or SSD, so you aren't locked in. But obviously we have recommendations from the testing we have done.

I don't know about making a killing, that was never the goal, just produce well designed products, that I as a cameraman and editor would want to use, and make it at a reasonable price.

Best wishes
Ross Herewini
Efilms
Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:03 PM   #62
Regular Crew

This is good news for end users.
Thanks to the "wonder minds" who spent time to check, to test and make it work.
Tuy Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:04 PM   #63
Major Player

Ross, after buying some of your MxR cards, I'm really looking forward to this gem!
Thanks for your efforts, but you DO deserve to make some bucks for delivering the great products that make our job easier! We are saving money by buying your products.
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #64
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Herewini View Post
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your post.

We have been working on an Expresscard to HDD and SSD via USB, with a SATA interface for a little while, and we will be announcing the product next Monday.

We’re just doing the artwork, and packaging and we are ready to release. I’d like to wait until Monday to give you the full technical specifications, so if you could hold your questions until then that would be help me actually get the artwork and packaging done!

It's quite something to be able to record for 5 hours without worrying about changing cards or even worse tapes. Reminds me of my Panasonic DV200, that could record 4h 45mins on one tape.

Stick an MxR with a Sandisk 32GB card in it and good to go for 7 hours without reaching for your production bag.

But really 7 hours! Too long to be standing.

Just a little teaser, you can elect to use your own HDD or SSD, so you aren't locked in. But obviously we have recommendations from the testing we have done.

I don't know about making a killing, that was never the goal, just produce well designed products, that I as a cameraman and editor would want to use, and make it at a reasonable price.

Best wishes
Ross Herewini
Efilms
Hey Ross, are you also addressing the 5V power issue, or strictly interface?
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #65
Major Player

Ross

Please get me a press release when you announce so that I can get that to my editors. Would love to get you some coverage.

And I'm looking forward to purchasing....

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #66
Major Player

SSD EX3 Mount

I have completed the mount of my SSD and its Battery supply on the DeMaagd EX3 Shoulder Mount. I used the existing tapped holes on the Shoulder Mount. It allows easy removal of the SSD for off-loading. The SSD Battery supply can also feed power to the EX3 as well as power the SSD with the necessary 5-volts. One approach of many possibilities that none-the-less fits my needs.
Attached Thumbnails
EX3 & Working Solid State Drive (SSD)-ssd-mount_1.jpg   EX3 & Working Solid State Drive (SSD)-ssd-mount_2.jpg  

EX3 & Working Solid State Drive (SSD)-ssd-mount_3.jpg  

Last edited by Barry J. Anwender; June 8th, 2009 at 05:05 PM.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #67
Regular Crew

Can someone post the pinout for the usb cable to the reader
4 usb wires
white
red
black
ground

Can't see the placement on Barry's photos
Robert Musiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #68
Regular Crew

sorry these are the usb cable wires
white
green
red
black
ground
Old June 11th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #69
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Musiello View Post
sorry these are the usb cable wires
white
green
red
black
ground
Robert, click on the second photo and it opens a new window in full size and easy to read. Page 2, post #26. The red wire (+5v) is not connected to the camera side. Cheers!
Old June 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #70
Regular Crew

Thanks Barry
The large silver wire gets soldered to where?
And last Question
Can you run two of these at the same time to two drives?
Bob
Old June 11th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #71
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks Barry
The large silver wire gets soldered to where?
And last Question
Can you run two of these at the same time to two drives?
Bob
The silver wire is called the sheath and it goes to ground. I drilled a small hole through the ground plane, just enough to thread the silver/sheath wire through and then back onto itself - soldered the end to close the loop. Then you have strain relief protection if the USB cable is pulled upon. It keeps the smaller wires from having to take any strain.

Yes, you can indeed run to drives in the exact same way as you do with SXS/etc. memory cards. One drive fills up and automatically switches over to the other, just the memory cards do. So that would be whopping 10.2 hours of record capacity. No memory card to fiddle with-get mixed up-or loose. Bonus is that the SSD off-loads 5.1hrs of video by eSATA in 14 minutes. Cheers!

Last edited by Barry J. Anwender; June 11th, 2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #72
Regular Crew

Will this work with the EX1 ?? I think the memory doors maybe different between the EX1
and the EX3 ???
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #73
Regular Crew

Barry
I had soldered it to the #1 on the opposite side.. is this wrong
I had read this in an earlier post...
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #74
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Will this work with the EX1 ?? I think the memory doors maybe different between the EX1
and the EX3 ???
Yes, it does work in the EX1 as reported so on the other forum by the good folks down-under. Choose a card that fits in the EX1 and do the mods to fit it with a USB cable. The EX1 does not have that little slot that the EX3 has for a cable to come out of the ExpressCard slot.

Last edited by Barry J. Anwender; June 11th, 2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #75
Major Player

Quote:
Barry
I had soldered it to the #1 on the opposite side.. is this wrong
I had read this in an earlier post...
Pin 1 on the ExpressCard bus is ground. As you can clearly see on the daughterboard there are other pins corresponding to ground, just follow the ground plane to identify those. Cheers!
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds