The EX-3 "Which Bag?" dilemma may be answered... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 1st, 2009, 07:08 AM   #16
Major Player

Hey Chris, what are the outside dimensions of the Sony case? I can't seem to find the dimensions anywhere online.

Does it have the "(steal me I'm a) SONY" label on the outside?

I have the Kata CC-197 which is big, but I'm still partial to hard cases...
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:37 AM   #17
Major Player

I just returned from a shoot in the Dominican Republic - managed to fly direct from Orlando which is always nice. Like Jon, I have the CC-197 and I couldn't have been happier with it. I use the insertrolley wheels with it and none of the staff/crew even gave it a second glance as I rolled it on. Once at my seat, I stepped on the base and slid the bag off the insertrolley and imagine my surprise when it was easily engulfed by the overhead! I had three inches of height and three or four inches of depth and many inches of length to spare! Now, this was, admittedly, JetBlue - the carrier with the most room for your carry-on. Nevertheless, I felt I could have fit the mid-sized ones just as well.

Sure, it isn't a hard case, but having a little "squish room" can come in handy. And Never did I feel that there was stress on the camera or viewfinder (removed the eyepiece for packing with all the other gear).

Oh, and in my bag, I had the following with quite a bit of room left over (more what have been nicer as things shifted a bit).

EX3
DM Accessories hinged shoulder mount
Anton-Bauer Dionic 90 batteries (2) and charger w/ cord
Shure ENG500 wireless system
Shure SM-58 mic
Sony MDR-7506 studio headphones
SmallHD monitor plus mount and power supply
WarmCards
Dozens of Talent Releases
Dozens of Business Cards
Dell XPS notebook and power supply
Mouse
Sony VCT-U14 Tripod Plate (no room in the tripod bag)
Libec zoom controller (no room in the tripod bag)
MANY cables - compoenent, power, audio, etc.
Case of memory cards
External 500GB Hard drive
Sunglasses case

I could also have quite easily gone with the BP-502, but I prefer this case. BTW, if anyone is shopping for the BP-502, feel free to PM me.

I was able to pull the notebook out for security in under 5 seconds, and put it back in just over 5 seconds afterwards. Also, while unpacking the trunk at home, an ostentation of peacocks (probably 12) were strutting by my driveway. I had the camera out and running (sans eyepiece) in under 15 seconds.

Great bag. Great camera. Great trip.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:17 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr View Post
Hey Chris, what are the outside dimensions of the Sony case? I can't seem to find the dimensions anywhere online.

Does it have the "(steal me I'm a) SONY" label on the outside?

I have the Kata CC-197 which is big, but I'm still partial to hard cases...
Hi kevin.

No, thankfully it doesn't have a SONY label.

Width 55cm X Height 30cm x Length 40cm !

There's one label on it reading 'DELICATE UNIT HANDLE WITH CARE'

Here's a couple of pictures for you.

www.visualintent.tv/demos/transit.jpg

www.visualintent.tv/demos/label.jpg

I'm very happy with this case. Everything fits so well and is very secure. So secure in fact, that i'm comfortable trawling it around on its wheels using the fully extended handle. (which you'd expect for a transit case :p)

If you look at my picture you'll see the cuts.

The EX3 has a Sony ECM680S Mic fitted along with a wireless Mic receiver. (made possible by replacing the cameras original mount with the The J-Rod EX Twin Mount) just in case anyone's interested.

I've fitted all my accessories into it. Two century lenses, charger, batteries, cables, memory cards, hand-held microphone ect..

I especially like the PU60 HDD holder. it obvious they made that cutting especially for it, although you can fit anything there really.
The cameras viewfinder obscures it from view in my pic though, so you can't see that particular cut.

:)
Chris Amana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:47 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hi Paul,

Are you packing your EX3 in this bag with a shoulder mount? I'm using the ST-7.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gale View Post
The cinebags CB-01 works really well for the EX3 and carry-on - it's within limits if you don't use the end (sewn on) pouches. I bought one the other day and love it - very stylish :) Only down side is it isn't exactly inconspicuous which could be a problem if in a high risk crime area!

The new camera daddy is definately within carry-on sizes but wasn't quite available when I had to buy the other week.

Paul.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:24 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Like Jon, I have the CC-197 and I couldn't have been happier with it. ... I had three inches of height and three or four inches of depth and many inches of length to spare! Now, this was, admittedly, JetBlue -

That's really good to know, Ted. Ever since my lens came off mid-shoot I've been looking for an alternative to the cc195; just a little too tight for comfort, even after reconfiguring the inserts. I flew with it on Continental and there was just enuf overhead room--same height as the 197--which probably means the 197 is safe for anything but the puddle jumpers. I've been thinking it's just too big, but may have to reconsider.
Old July 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #21
Regular Crew

ex3 case

I have the Porta Brace CTC-1. I had talked to sales people from PortaBrace by e-mail before I bought it. They assured me it would fit the EX3 "perfectly." It appears they may be right. A side panel can be opened to allow the viewfinder to have all the room it needs. I knew the EX3 would take a special case to protect the viewfinder and it does. I'm very careful, so I open the side panel all the way up even unzipping the panel. Each person has their own comfort level. At the PortaBrace website you can see pictures of the side panel closed for other models and opened for the EX3. I happened to get it on sale at Amazon for $217 and free shipping. I'm not sure I would say "perfect" but it does the job for me.
Old July 4th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Has anyone used the Portabrace CTC-1 as a airline carry-on?
Ed Przyzycki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike for the info on the CB-25. I did order one and you have to pull out the insert to fit the EX3 inside it and even then, the top of the viewfinder can be felt bulging out a bit. It is a big bag length wise, but I'd say not a good fit for the EX3. I believe I will return it.

John,
You wrote that you have the Petrol PRDB-3 and that you can fit a lot of stuff in it. Do you put misc production gear around the EX3 in the bag or do you configure it a different way? The interior dimensions look to be just large enough for an EX3, but I can't see getting much else in there. Thanks!

Ray Ellis
Director
Raleigh NC
Ray Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Ellis View Post
Thanks Mike for the info on the CB-25. I did order one and you have to pull out the insert to fit the EX3 inside it and even then, the top of the viewfinder can be felt bulging out a bit. It is a big bag length wise, but I'd say not a good fit for the EX3. I believe I will return it.

John,
You wrote that you have the Petrol PRDB-3 and that you can fit a lot of stuff in it. Do you put misc production gear around the EX3 in the bag or do you configure it a different way? The interior dimensions look to be just large enough for an EX3, but I can't see getting much else in there. Thanks!

Ray Ellis
Director
Raleigh NC
What I'll do is put my EX1 in the bag and take a photo of it and post it here. Then you can see how much space is left around it. I'll also tell you how much space is left above the camera as well as you may not be able to tell that from a photo.

EDIT: Here is the photo with only the EX1 in the Petrol PRDB-3. There are 4 inches left above the bag (10cm or so). Of course some of it is lost when the bag is zipped because of the sides are drawn in somewhat, but not that much is lost. I put batteries, mikes, etc around it no problem, but I don't know how much stuff you have.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40...h/Img_0367.jpg

The velcro sections are moveable and quite strong.
Sorry about the shoes in the photo.

John

Last edited by John Peterson; July 6th, 2009 at 08:36 AM.
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Thanks John! Your info was helpful. My problem is that I'm planning on taking an EX3 to Namibia later this month and I'm having trouble finding a case that will comfortably fit that camera while not exceeding the international carry-on size of 45 total inches. I'm flying South African airways to get there and then very small aircraft between locations while in Namibia and have been told repeatedly not to exceed that size. The only case that seems to work might be the Porta-Brace DVO-2RQS-M2.

PortaBrace - Product Detail:DVO-2RQS-M2.

The search continues.

Thanks,

Ray Ellis
Director
Raleigh, NC
Ray Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #26
Major Player

Kata 197

I recently spent 10 weeks shooting in India, Tibet and China and a few in between. I took the Kata 197 with me to hold the Ex-3 and a full load of accessories - 3 mics, 4 batteries, mattebox, 2 lavs, etc.
Chicago to Delhi was first class cabin so the 197 was not an issue! But from Miami to Chicago I had to go with AA-Eagle and the bag did not fit the overhead (tiny plane with single seats). There is space behind the very last seat which is fixed and the 197 just squeezed behind. To help I had to remove the laptop.
I flew 12 domestic Indian flights and 8 inside China and even though a few were small planes, the airline crew were not very strict and I was allowed to put the 197 on an empty seat next to me. I would say the 197 could fit the overheads of 9 out of 10 flights in my 10 week trip. It's only the height of the bag getting through the overhead doors - the length is not a problem. Certainly on the International flights the bag went into the overheads easier than I imagined. But the airlines are becoming much more strict about carry-ons so it is a concern. Generally when you show them you have a camera they are sympathetic - in India they were always helpful.
My problem is not the overhead bin, but the bag is very tough to carry when fully loaded. I shoot in mountains and remote areas and the 197 started to reshape my spine and shoulder! The Porta Brace would be the same - shoulder carry bags cannot be heavy or fully loaded. So I am still looking for a backpack. Until then I always get the local help to carry the photo equipment.
Attached Thumbnails
The EX-3 "Which Bag?" dilemma may be answered...-bag-carry.jpg  
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks John! Your info was helpful. My problem is that I'm planning on taking an EX3 to Namibia later this month and I'm having trouble finding a case that will comfortably fit that camera while not exceeding the international carry-on size of 45 total inches. I'm flying South African airways to get there and then very small aircraft between locations while in Namibia and have been told repeatedly not to exceed that size. The only case that seems to work might be the Porta-Brace DVO-2RQS-M2.

PortaBrace - Product Detail:DVO-2RQS-M2.

The search continues.

Thanks,

Ray Ellis
Director
Raleigh, NC
Ray, I am not sure which airline you are using, but some allow a little more than 45 total inches.

Here is a chart:

lnternational Airline Carry-on Luggage Allowance Policies and Guidelines

Also I believe they calculate it by adding the three dimemsions together. If you check the Petrol page:
http://www.petrolbags.com/ and look up the PDRB-3 it says the external dimensions are 20.9" x 11.2" x 10" which would equal a combined total of 42.1". If you add the dimensions of the Portabrace bag (20" x 11" x 11") they add up to 42" as well. The Petrol bag is a lot cheaper and very well made. For $200 you could get the bag and a well made $100 rain cover.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...etrol_Bag.html

It was out of stock when I ordered it too, but they shipped me the bag first and then sent the rain cover when it came in for the same price (actually $40 less when I bought it).

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks John! Your info was helpful. My problem is that I'm planning on taking an EX3 to Namibia later this month and I'm having trouble finding a case that will comfortably fit that camera while not exceeding the international carry-on size of 45 total inches.
Ray, the case John's recommending is for his ex1, not ex3; different kettle of fish with the 3's viewfinder.

You might want to look at the Kata 195; it's a tight fit with all my accessories, but may be worth it depending on your kit. It's the same height as the 197, but 3.5 inches shorter and 1 narrower. That Petrol PDRB4 also looks interesting; it's basically the same dimensions as the Kata195, but without the little lip on top, it might just be different enuf to accommodate everything.
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #29
Regular Crew

CTC-1 Airline Carry On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Przyzycki View Post
Has anyone used the Portabrace CTC-1 as a airline carry-on?
Just for further reference, I successfully used the Portabrace CTC-1 as a carry-on for two US domestic flights (737-800 aircraft). I can't guarantee it will work for everyone's flight (I know shorter-distance flights have smaller overhead bins). It was a tight squeeze, but it worked.

I had packed only a stock EX-3, it's charger, BP-U30 and BP-U60 batteries, and an attached ECM-673 shotgun. (Actually, I had a small Sony Cybershot still camera in there too)

It fits best with the top of the bag facing outward (more room for the viewfinder towards the front of the bin).

But on a separate trip the flight attendant repositioned it to make more room in the bin for other passengers (top of bag facing right side).

One suggestion would be not to zip up the contents all the way to allow *some* air to escape and compress the bag a bit (but not too much).
Attached Thumbnails
The EX-3 "Which Bag?" dilemma may be answered...-1.jpg   The EX-3 "Which Bag?" dilemma may be answered...-2.jpg  

Ed Przyzycki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #30
New Boot

Cinebags

I do love Cinebags.. Have three and they are rock solid!

However I have not had any experience with the camera side of them

Jay
Jay A. Kelley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds