audio meter question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:28 AM   #16
Kino-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Just for a contrary opinion. When I'm a one man band, I avoid carrying a mixer unless necessary [...]
Many times I also go straight into the camera when I'm in "ultra-portable" mode, however, sometimes I keep the mixer around my neck, a small inconvenience but in return I get better control ergonomics. Better limiter. Better metering. Three inputs. But yes, at a price: a little more weight and more wires. Always a trade off. I like the choice. As far as the price issue, I've not had a chance to try less expensive mixers in production. I chose the Sound Devices 302 based on the feature set, sound quality, ergonomics, and robustness. It's been dropped twice on a hard surface and other than the dents, there has been no impact on performance.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:46 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Heslip View Post
should you need additional inputs from time to time and your budget very small, consider the Rolls pro-mix line (made in USA, believe it or not)
Bill... does this unit have easy-to-read LED meters? I looked at the picture on the web site and couldn't exactly see any.
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:50 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
Bill... does this unit have easy-to-read LED meters? I looked at the picture on the web site and couldn't exactly see any.
Malcolm
No audio meters at all. Only a peak indicator light. For my purposes it's adequate as the EX1 provides metering capability, but for many situations this may not be the ideal option.
Bill Heslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:50 AM   #19
Major Player

When in doubt, go with 12 oclock high.

Set your wireless mic, camera setting, etc. all straight up and down on 12 oclock, and 99% of the time you will be fine.

This is the simpliest rule to follow in the world of audio for those without audio recording experience.
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Barkley View Post
When in doubt, go with 12 oclock high.
Set your wireless mic, camera setting, etc. all straight up and down on 12 oclock, and 99% of the time you will be fine
Brian, do you mind explaining what you mean by this? I can understand setting my wireless to -35, for example; what do you mean by 12 o'clock, etc.
thanks, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #21
Major Player

I leave my Electrosonic wireless mic transmitter, receiver, and EX-3 audio pointer to the very middle of the dial, which is the "12 Oclock" postion. My audio is alway great.
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #22
Major Player

Would be nice if it were that simple, Brian, but not sure it applies here.

On my Lectrosonics receiver, there are no dials, so I need to go into the menu settings to set output level; the transmitter dial sits at about 2 o'clock; and the ex3's camera's audio pointer arrow is fixed at 3 o'clock, with the dial adjustable between 0 and 10. I've been leaving mine at about 6, but notice that basspig in the above-mentioned thread on dvx recommends 5 as optimal. My settings are for dialog in interviews or verite reasonably close-mic'd, using both Countryman condenser and/or Sennheiser shotgun.

Last edited by Mike Chandler; May 25th, 2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: reversed transmitter with receiver
Mike Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #23
Major Player

Basspig's recommendation of setting it to "5" is based on the fact that your initial level/sensitivity settings are made in the menu for that particular mics' sensitivity or output level. The external dials are for fine tuning. Position "5" is the equivalent of "0", minus numbers cut the signal coming in and plus numbers give you a little more boost in case your talent/subject gets quieter than usual.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #24
Major Player

That's right, Dave. Except if I'm reading him correctly, he's recommending not going over 5, if you can avoid it, because of added noise.
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #25
Major Player

Absolutely right....noise will go through the roof if you do that. It's best to think of it simply as a "trim" control.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #26
Major Player

Just noticed over on the other site that Mark (Basspig)) has adjusted his settings to 6, with atten at -35, which is also the setting I'd found was giving me best results.
Old June 14th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Sony made this so confusing.

I recorded some fairly loud live music on the built-in mikes (formerly, I had supposed my external mikes were to blame... I am beginning to suspect my camera is defective in audio input function quite near the heart of the camera), getting peaks at 70% of the audio meter travel. Result: bad clipping. What are these meters intended to signify?

I have firmware 1.05

edit: I notice the worst clipping occurs during the quietest segments. I will post a video shortly showing this.

tone
Anthony Lovell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds