DSandisk vs. Transcend vs. hoodman Raw SDHC cards - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 7th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #106
Trustee

Hi Craig, yes, 2nd test the exact same. There must be something wrong with the card in slot B. I watch for the change over and card A seamed to record OK, again it looked as if it recorded through without error, I switched the camera off and on again and got the media restore message. I'm recording to card B for now just to see what happens.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #107
Trustee

Card B recorded to end then, Media Error, Media needs to be restored. Looks like card B is faulty.

I'll test the other card now and get back.
Old September 7th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #108
Trustee

Looks like the other 8gb card is faulty too. Once the card was full I got the media needs to restore message.

Thats a first for me. I'll try and return the cards.
Old September 7th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #109
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
..Generally thought I don't reformat the cards...
Craig, do you just format the card when new and "delete all clips" each time after that.
Is formating the card each time wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #110
Major Player

Anthony,

I've had horrible luck with brand new (a month ago) Transcend cards. They don't seem to be as trusty as they used to be. Others are reporting many problems too. I would try a Hoodman card. They are more $$ but I have 4 and not one problem yet.
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #111
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Frederick View Post
Anthony,

I've had horrible luck with brand new (a month ago) Transcend cards. They don't seem to be as trusty as they used to be. Others are reporting many problems too. I would try a Hoodman card. They are more $$ but I have 4 and not one problem yet.
Paul, I think your right about the transcend cards, wonder how Sandisk cards are holding up?

Hoodmans cards might be worth looking into. Wonder what the cost is to send a few over to me.

Thanks.
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #112
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Paul, I think your right about the transcend cards, wonder how Sandisk cards are holding up?
Thanks.
I had my first CF error on a Transcend 16GB card which usually spends its time in my wife's D90. The error occured in the D90. Personally, I'd rather spend top dollar for the best flash memory. I don't know the foundry for the Lexar or Transcend parts, but we do know that "floor sweep" parts exist for lower reliability due to manufacturing mistakes. For graphics chips, a part with one or more faulty shader engines is simply remarked as a different, lower end product sold and sold for less. I suppose that Transcend and the other budget flash distributors know that their consumer market won't figure out that their part lasts for a year.

Write performance degrades as the flash memory part fills to two thirds, from what I've read. Do we really know what happens to the Transcend when 50-100MB is left?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #113
Tourist

HoodMan

Bout to use these SDHC cards for the first time on a series I have coming up. Been researching a lot and been testing the Hoodman RAW cards. I know there more expensive then other alternatives out there, but am willing to pay that if they are more secure. Have been testing two of the cards and have worked great.

I guess I'm just asking for anyone's thoughts on the Hoodman cards, and is the higher price worth the piece of mind. Want to be sure before I purchase a number of these.

Thanks in advance.
Bobby Kondrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #114
Inner Circle

How are people testing these cards? The Transcend 16 GB Class 6 (green stripe) worked well for me until they filled up in my Sony EX1. Flash cards have a very slow write performance as they reach write capacity.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #115
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Kondrat View Post

I guess I'm just asking for anyone's thoughts on the Hoodman cards, and is the higher price worth the piece of mind. Want to be sure before I purchase a number of these.

Thanks in advance.
Take a look at the ATP Pro cards. They are more expensive than Transcends (and harder to source) but seem to offer better quality.

There was rumour of Hoodman cards being available in the UK shortly, however it might not be worth bothering with if Sony release a firmware upgrade so we can use their new adaptors and memory sticks.
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #116
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
... however it might not be worth bothering with if Sony release a firmware upgrade so we can use their new adaptors and memory sticks.
I think I'll wait for the Sony adaptors too.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:37 PM   #117
Major Player

I've knocked together a blog entry that sums up my findings for the ATP cards and where to get them in the UK. It's nothing that I haven't posted on here already but I felt it a good idea to try and get everything into one place. This might be useful if we manage to locate more UK suppliers:

SDHC Shooting on the Sony EX1 | Media2u Video Production Blog

I've got 4 of them now and Amazon (the only UK supplier I can find) seem to have them back in stock again. The 4 I have seem to be consistent in testing so I'm now in the process of weeding out any Transcend that takes longer than 5 or 6 seconds to clear the red light.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:14 PM   #118
Inner Circle

Marcus, I notice you're looking at the 16GB cards. Actually the prices for the 32GB cards are less per GB which may be odd but true for the prices I've seen.

$119 US
https://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/SP...1241728748.jsp

€134
32GB ATP ProMax SDHC Class6 150x MLC
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:39 AM   #119
Major Player

While the 32gb cards may be cheaper per mb the problem is that in the UK the 16gb cards are already rare. The 32gb cards simply aren't out there. The blog entry was partly inspired by one chap from this very forum who actually phoned me to ask about the ATP cards and where he could get them in the UK.

Of course you can import them (as I did for 2 cards) but the entire process was so slow, painful and expensive it's just far easier to get the 16gb cards from Amazon. In short I got stung for hefty international shipping, import duty and a extra delivery fee by a UK courier!

I wish some enterprising UK supplier would stock the ATP cards. The MxR stockists will happily sell you Transcends even though we know there are issues. Then again when I looked at the MxR website last week they were still recommending Transcend cards despite the reported issues. I'd be interested to hear their opinion of why they still think Transcend cards are still suitable.

[edit] Just looking at the price on that Dutch site you provided, the 32gb card is way more than twice the price. Amazon are charging approx £44 delivered for a 16gb but that site charges 134 Euros which is approx £120. So the cost per mb is higher.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 03:37 AM   #120
Trustee

Marcus, mxmexpress dot com told me to contact Neil Hart from ProActive and convince him there is a need for ATP Pro cards.

I tried to get in touch with him but haven't spoke to him yet.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds