DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Recommend a zoom control for EX3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/235946-recommend-zoom-control-ex3.html)

Anthony McErlean May 23rd, 2009 02:41 PM

Recommend a zoom control for EX3

Hi I have a Manfrotto 524CF but as you know it doesn't fit the EX3.
I think I now need one for the EX3.
Theres two I was thinking of, the Libel ZC-9EX or the manfrotto 521EX

The Libec its compatible with a FUJINON and CANON lens as well.

Which is the better option or perhaps theres another one you would recommend.

Thanks.

Brian Barkley May 23rd, 2009 03:53 PM

I purchased a professional zoom controller when I bought my EX-3, but I never use it.

The zoom control built into the camera is MUCH better, and you can vary it to the inth degree.

The external zoom controller WILL NOT have the speed control of the built in zoom control. You will be wasting your money if you buy one.

Keith Moreau May 23rd, 2009 04:07 PM

I have the Manfrotto 521ex for my EX1 and I'm fairly happy with it. You can dial the zoom speed up or down and that will affect how the sensitivity of its zoom rocker. The only fault is that at the slowest speed setting the zoom rocker still can still vary the zoom, so if you want the slowest zooms you still have to have some 'touch' with unit's zoom rocker. The other features, such as record on and off and review are nice as well. I also like Bebob controllers, they have one for the EX as well. (and many others.)

Colin Rowe May 23rd, 2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1147354)
Hi I have a Manfrotto 524CF but as you know it doesn't fit the EX3.
I think I now need one for the EX3.
Theres two I was thinking of, the Libel ZC-9EX or the manfrotto 521EX

The Libec its compatible with a FUJINON and CANON lens as well.

Which is the better option or perhaps theres another one you would recommend.

Thanks.

This would suit your you Tony, excellent, smooth control. Libec ZC-9Pro

Charles Newcomb May 23rd, 2009 04:28 PM

I've used Varizoom on my cameras for about eight years. In that time I've had two instances where repair was required, and both times Varizoom gave me quick turnaround. I recently bought this one for the EX3 VariZoom Lens Controls, monitors, Camera Stabilizers & Supports, Batteries, Monitor Kits Phone: 512-219-7722

EDIT: The reason I prefer this style is you can take it off the pan handle and still use it, thus eliminating any camera movement from touching the pan handle.

Anthony McErlean May 23rd, 2009 04:53 PM

Thanks all for the tips

Eric A Robinson May 24th, 2009 06:05 AM

Zoom Control

Hi Anthony

I to use the Libec mounted on a Multrig Pro, and its a great combination for hand held work. I think it is a great item to have. The only caution I would urge is attach both cables, one to the camera and the other to tripod or rig you have mounted the camera on. The connection between the two cables is designed to pull apart if any force is exerted. This is a good design feature but you could so easily loose one of the cables.

Anthony McErlean May 24th, 2009 06:23 AM

Thanks for the advice Eric, whats the model of Libec you have.

Thanks.

William Griffin May 24th, 2009 10:42 AM

A better, cheapter way........

A few months back I was in the same spot after I got a EX3...until one day on ebay.com I came across this:

12 Pin Fujinon Zoom Adapter Cable for Sony EX1 or EX3 - eBay (item 220365265718 end time Jun-19-09 17:39:37 PDT)

I called them and told the owner..John....that I was a old betacam shooter and had a Nikon 15x1 lens that came with a $2000.00 zoom controller( made my Fujinon for Nikon)....so I shipped them the controller and he made me a special cable for my EX3 all for about $130.00. I was going to buy the $400.00 Bebob Zoe for the EX3, but now I have a better way as I get nice slow zooms, and the 3 second replay works just fine
with my EX3 14x1 Fuji Stock lens.

HTH

Anthony McErlean May 24th, 2009 11:17 AM

Thats interesting William, you would think an adaptor is all I would really need.

Thanks.

Paul R Johnson May 24th, 2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Barkley (Post 1147381)
I purchased a professional zoom controller when I bought my EX-3, but I never use it.

The zoom control built into the camera is MUCH better, and you can vary it to the inth degree.

The external zoom controller WILL NOT have the speed control of the built in zoom control. You will be wasting your money if you buy one.

Maybe so, but it's in totally the wrong place if you are standing in the usual tripod position. You can indeed use your hand to focus and zoom, but wherever possible, I'll use a remote. The usual ones for Fujinon and Cannon are quite light, but firm. The Manfrotto one isn't quite so smooth - I'm talking about the movement of the rocker, not the electronic end-product. The Manfrotto 524CFI I have also has the maximum speed control on it too, which I do find handy.

Anthony McErlean May 24th, 2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson (Post 1147639)
The Manfrotto 524CFI I have also has the maximum speed control on it too, which I do find handy.

Yes Paul I like my Manfrotto 524CF, pity it wont fit my EX3.

Leonard Levy May 24th, 2009 01:58 PM

William ,
Will that give you smooth and feathered stops and starts like you can get with a professional 2/3" camera and zoom control, or do you still have the same abrupt servo that comes with the EX-1 and are just now able to control it with your old zoom controller?

William Griffin May 24th, 2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Levy (Post 1147686)
William ,
Will that give you smooth and feathered stops and starts like you can get with a professional 2/3" camera and zoom control, or do you still have the same abrupt servo that comes with the EX-1 and are just now able to control it with your old zoom controller?

It does the job and feels like a true high end zoom controller...as i was a happy camper when I tested it out....

Leonard Levy May 24th, 2009 04:29 PM

Sorry to belabor this, but I previously bought a zoom controller based on reports that weren't clear enough - do you mean you can really feather starts and stops just like on a professional 2/3" camera lens"?

It sounds like you're saying yes. If so this is a big breakthrough.