XDCAM How to clips by me! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 30th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #16
New Boot

interlace 50i vs 25p

Alister:

I enjoyed your story on interlace, but would like to make a small comment. I agree with you that most converter programs do a poor job of going from 50i to 50p (60i to 60p over here), however the fact remains that the 50i footage has more motion information and that an excellent deinterlace program can often generate better 60p from 60i than from 30p. In particular, the Shake program does a nice job with interlaced footage. Now, you never said that this was not so with sophisticated programs, but I thought it would be a nice addition to observe this fact. This would be a nice demonstration.

John Woods
John Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #17
Major Player

Very nicely done, Alister. I especially enjoyed your comparisons showing the impact of shutter speeds on panning blur. One thing I'd suggest strongly is to keep your cel phone away from you when you are recording. You could hear it during the early part of the timelapse video piece.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:48 AM   #18
Inner Circle

But John, almost no one has any real delivery options for 60P at the moment. 60P from 60i will have more temporal resolution, true, but there will be a lot less spacial resolution than 30p. it should be remembered that with current cameras 60i has less spacial resolution than 30p due to the line averaging that takes place to generate fields in current CCD and CMOS sensors. Temporal resolution isn't everything and to try and go into too much detail in a 2 min video would probably confuse and cause more questions than answers.

Dave: I was wondering who would spot that first! When I record the next VO's I'll re record those sections. The phone was in the room next door, but against the wall where I had the mic. DOH!

Last edited by Alister Chapman; June 1st, 2009 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Corrected 30i/60i
Alister Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:14 AM   #19
Trustee

Thank you Alister. Your tutorial on "why to use a shutter when shooting progressive" was a huge help to me. You made the light bulb come on above my head. Much appreciated. :)
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:17 PM   #20
New Boot

60p to 30p

Alister:

I guess by 30i you really mean 60i. I guess the best acquisition 60i or 30p for conversion to 60p depends on the scene with its spatial and temporal detail. However, it is not clear that one choice is always best.
John Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:33 PM   #21
Major Player

Alister, that's one of those sounds that jump out at me instantly when I hear it. I used to produce two podcasts for the newspaper I used to work for (three guesses what happened to THAT job) and I was always plagued by people bringing their GSM phones into the studio. "But I muted it....isn't that enough??" I'm hearing it a lot on network shows (!) which is really surprising.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:02 PM   #22
Major Player

nicely presented. concise.

Well done!

Picture profiles would be awesome, also tcls.

thanks

Greg
Greg Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:49 AM   #23
Inner Circle

John you are correct, I meant 60i and I have corrected my post above. You are correct that there is no clear right or wrong way to do it. It will depend on your specific requirements. That's why I don't say you must or should shoot P. I simply state that I choose to shoot p.
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:55 PM   #24
Major Player

Awesome Al, thanks for the videos!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:00 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Here's another

YouTube - Aperture, Depth of Field and Diffraction. How to Guide.

Aperture, depth of field and diffraction.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:03 PM   #26
Major Player

Great work Al, keep at it!
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:04 AM   #27
Major Player

Thanks Alister for a lot of good tips.

I have been wondering about lengthy time lapse shots of things like plants growing or flowers blooming where providing uniform illumination would be a problem. Is there a way synchronising a flash with each frame?
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:25 AM   #28
Inner Circle

With an EX only by building a controller and then using frame record, but it would be tricky to set up. For those kinds of sequences a simple digital stills camera is the way to go, stiching the stills together with you edit software. I've done sequences over weeks and months that way. There are plenty of cheap controllers on ebay for timelapse with DSLR's.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:02 PM   #29
Trustee

Thank you Alister. Well done.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:24 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
With an EX only by building a controller and then using frame record, but it would be tricky to set up. For those kinds of sequences a simple digital stills camera is the way to go, stiching the stills together with you edit software. I've done sequences over weeks and months that way. There are plenty of cheap controllers on ebay for timelapse with DSLR's.
Thanks Alister
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds