Restore media message... format disc. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 30th, 2009, 01:41 AM   #16
Trustee

Thanks for all the advice,
I only intend to have one card in the reader and keep is as I would an SXS card, one complete unit.

Tuy, yes, thats what i intend to do, bring 5 or 6 SDHC cards with adaptors and use each one as If its an SXS card.

I think if I work like this I wont get the restore media message because I wont be putting a full or part full card back into the camera, it will be empty cards I'll be using.

Bob, yes, one adaptor per SDHC card, that is my plan and thats the way I'll work for my weddings but I didn't think taking out an sdhc card and putting in another card into the same adaptor would have done any harm but there you go, I only did it this way to format each sdhc card,

So, should you keep an SDHC card in its own Kensington adaptor, keep this as a pair and keep them like this for all projects?
Do any of you do that?, perhaps this is not necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr View Post
As for testing, in the future I plan to set up and "shoot 'em full" before using them.
So, to test the card before using it for something important put the cards into the camera and just let it record, till full. Is this the best AND ONLY way. Thanks Kevin.

Last edited by Anthony McErlean; May 30th, 2009 at 02:10 AM. Reason: another question
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Do you software eject or un-mount the cards by right clicking on them before disconnecting them from the computer? Failing to correctly eject/un-mount cards before removing them from the computer will cause restore errors.
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #18
Trustee

I have had the Restore message a couple of times, each time I have just ejected the card and adaptor and reinserted it again. sometimes the camera just needs to see it again.
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
I have had the Restore message a couple of times, each time I have just ejected the card and adaptor and reinserted it again. sometimes the camera just needs to see it again.
so to avoid the Restore msg, maybe we don't eject the card until the card is filled or finish the job :=)
Tuy Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #20
Trustee

No not at all, just re-insert the card & adaptor again and make shure you push it all the way home. I haven't lost any shots (yet!).
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #21
Trustee

Just back in from my wedding but I didn't have the courage to use it as my main camera :(
but what I did record was fine, but I'm out again in the morning so I'm going to use it this time. Thanks for all the replies

Alister, no nothing like that happened.

Tuy, good advice and Vincent, I'll try that If it happens again.

Thanks again,

I'll keep you posted.
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:02 AM   #22
Trustee

Used the EX3 as my main camera this time and everything went OK.
I don't intend to put part recorded cards back into my camera, Fill one card at a time and replace it with an empty one, so I cant see me getting a restore media message doing it this way.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:00 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Bob,
What about being able to switch the "write protect" tab. I think that's a very important safeguard when downloading. But you have to remove the SDHC card to do that.

I would think this is more important than wear and tear on the contacts.

Lenny Levy
I've never even thought to "write protect" the cards.
It's impossible to overwrite a clip in the camera as far as I know and Windows doesn't seem to mess with what's on the cards. I could in theory delete a clip that I shouldn't either in the camera or with Windows but I have a strict routine on card handling both on the shoot and back at base.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:27 AM   #24
Trustee

r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
I'm considering gluing the SDHC cards into the MxR adaptors.
Can you get a reader for the desktop to slot the SXS card or the Kensington adaptor into.

If so, this would mean you could keep the sdhc card in the adaptor at all times.
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:49 PM   #25
Regular Crew

You can get "MxR USB Adapter" and use "adapter w/ SDHC" as one device with your desktop USB port.
This way you don't need to deal with the tiny SDHC card when you have a big hand :-)
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:52 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I always write-protect SDHC cards for downloading, just as I do with SxS cards. Maybe it's not necessary, but it seems like an added layer of data protection.
Andy Schocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:01 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuy Le View Post
You can get "MxR USB Adapter" and use "adapter w/ SDHC" as one device with your desktop USB port.
This way you don't need to deal with the tiny SDHC card when you have a big hand :-)
Thanks Tuy, wonder were I'd get something like that in the UK
Would this work do you think.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-USB-2-...781481&sr=8-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Schocken View Post
I always write-protect SDHC cards for downloading, just as I do with SxS cards. Maybe it's not necessary, but it seems like an added layer of data protection.
Andy, Good advice, Thanks.
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:59 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Anthony,
this is the link:
MxR USB Adapter

oh and get those plastic cases too ($5 each) - to protect the adapter from dust and no chance for any strange object get into the connector :-)
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:27 AM   #29
Trustee

Thanks for the link Tuy Le.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds