DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Restore media message... format disc. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/236349-restore-media-message-format-disc.html)

Anthony McErlean May 29th, 2009 11:28 AM

Restore media message... format disc.

I'm about to record my first wedding tomorrow with the EX3.
I'm using the Kensington/Transcend system.

Could I ask 1 or 2 questions please.

I got the Restore media message, don't know what I did, don't think i did anything, i didn't switch off or pull media out while recording, didn't touch the battery. i don't know... but i copied the BPAV folder first to the Hdrive, put the card back into the camera hit restore and it did restore the clips.
These clips weren't important, but it scared me all the same, what do I do if it happens at my wedding tomorrow??

So thats what I want to ask,

1) what do i do if this happens when I'm recording something important like a wedding?
2) When I copy the clips from the SDHC card do I format every time before I use it again?

and any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

Anthony McErlean May 29th, 2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Issko (Post 954107)
Yes, I get restore media from time to time as well. Many reasons for it but each time I have had to restore, everything comes up just fine.

I have not had any problems with frame accurate clip matching when the media was recorded over 2 cards. You should be OK with that.

I don't think you need to reformat the card unless the request is made. Just delete the clips when you are ready and you are good to go. That's what I have done without problems. Any formatting I have done has always been in camera. That is probably the best place to format or reformat the sxs card.

Best wishes

Just seen this in another post, so is restore media a common enough message, and not to worry about it to much, unless it happens often.

Leonard Levy May 29th, 2009 12:44 PM

with SxS cards its not common unless you did something wrong at least in my experience.

How were you downloading - through the express card adapter or did you pull the SDHC card out of the adapter at any time. Did you hit the "write protect switch on the SDHC card at any time?

Anthony McErlean May 29th, 2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Levy (Post 1150432)
with SxS cards its not common unless you did something wrong at least in my experience.

How were you downloading - through the express card adapter or did you pull the SDHC card out of the adapter at any time. Did you hit the "write protect switch on the SDHC card at any time?

Leonard, none of these things, but you know with something new i couldn't say what i did, but none of the above for sure.

I may have put a card into the camera and then got this message.

UPDATE:
AND i may have taken the card out of the adaptor thinking i was finished testing the camera, switch the camera off and then put that card into a different Kensington adaptor and put that into the camera, i couldn't say for sure, but I got the restore media message and it scared me, I thought if this happens tomorrow what do I do.

BUT I don't intend to swap cards tomorrow, I'll put enough cards into the adaptors that will last me all day, so will only remove the adaptor with the card still inside it.

Could putting the card into a different adaptor cause this message.

Anthony McErlean May 29th, 2009 01:51 PM

Just put another sdhc card into the adaptor and got the same media meed to be restored message.
I did that and formated the card. now what?
Is it safe to use?
Is this common?
Theres nothing important on these cards only trying out the camera clips.
Any ideas.
Thanks

Leonard Levy May 29th, 2009 02:23 PM

I meant to ask how you downloaded the clips into your computer.

I have only used SxS cards until recently so don't know how people are doing this.
With SxS I always push the write protect tab after shooting and always before potting the card into the computer.

How did you download the cards? what kind of computer

BTW - This does not sound good to me.

Anthony McErlean May 29th, 2009 02:30 PM

I don't like the sound of that.
I've copied the clips with clip browser 2 and using the SDHC USB card reader.

All my test clips copied to the PC no problem and played back no problem. I've an editing grassvalley HDStorm PC btw. Its this message I'm not sure about.

Kevin Spahr May 29th, 2009 03:40 PM

I have 8 Transcend 16GB SDHC cards that I use with MxR adaptors. I found one SDHC card that will record fine until it is about half full then I will be prompted to restore it. So I tested it a couple times and it consistently fails. Needless to say I tested all my SDHC cards by shooting till they were full - the other seven were perfect. (I numbered all my cards in advance just for the purpose of track any problems.)

I think that I also read in a thread some where here that if use a USB card reader and open the folders on a card in the Finder on a Mac (which I use) you may end up with a .DS_store file written to your card and this will cause a error when shoot. So you should reformat the card in the camera before using it again. Or better yet, you could lock the SDHC card before putting it in your Mac to prohibit the creating of the .DS_store file.

Good luck!

Anthony McErlean May 29th, 2009 03:55 PM

Just remembered... a guy I know has an ex1 so i thought i would ring him and ask if he ever got this restore media message and he said yes, he did, it seams to happen if your swapping cards into different Kensington adaptors. He said, hit restore and every things all right, so i hope hes right.
I'm putting 5/6 different cards into the one Kensington read just to make sure each card is formated for tomorrow maybe thats why I'm getting this message, I don't know.

Anthony McErlean May 29th, 2009 04:03 PM

Thanks Kevin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr (Post 1150514)
I think that I also read in a thread some where here that if use a USB card reader and open the folders on a card in the Finder on a Mac (which I use) you may end up with a .DS_store file written to your card and this will cause a error when shoot. So you should reformat the card in the camera before using it again. Or better yet, you could lock the SDHC card before putting it in your Mac to prohibit the creating of the .DS_store file.

Good luck!

good advice.

The card that asks to restore half way through, have you lost anything on that card?

All my cards are new, only recorded a 5/10 mins on each of them.

Is there a correct way to test an SXS or SDHC card so you will know its Ok to use.

Thanks.

Kevin Spahr May 29th, 2009 05:19 PM

When I was shooting stuff I needed I didn't loose anything - but it holds up shooting which would be a bite in the butt if you're shooting a wedding.

When I was testing I didn't check - I don't plan to use that card for shooting anymore.

As for testing, in the future I plan to set up and "shoot 'em full" before using them.

Tuy Le May 29th, 2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1150524)
The card that asks to restore half way through, have you lost anything on that card?

All my cards are new, only recorded a 5/10 mins on each of them.

Is there a correct way to test an SXS or SDHC card so you will know its Ok to use.

Thanks.

I recommend to bring more than you need.
If I will need about 4 hours max I will bring 5 or 6 SDHC cards with adapters. It's less than $100 each (SDHC & adapter) and peace of mind for the whole day.

So If one card with restore msg, switch to other slot to continue your shoot and replace "the problem card" with a card set. You can put the card back in the camera and restore media when you have break (less stress and less chance to make mistake !).

Any time we deal with new technology such as Sony EX1/EX3, SDHC & adapter ..., we will see some unknown problems. That is the risk we are taking and it's worth it !

So don't worry too much - it will be fine and happy shooting :-)

notes: "switch to other slot" = "slot select" other A or B

Leonard Levy May 29th, 2009 07:14 PM

I don't understand why switching adapters should cause any problem.

Bob Grant May 29th, 2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1150519)
<snip>
I'm putting 5/6 different cards into the one Kensington read just to make sure each card is formated for tomorrow maybe thats why I'm getting this message, I don't know.

This is one thing I would not do. I have one adaptor per SDHC card. Swapping cards out of the adaptors means wear and tear on contacts. I'm considering gluing the SDHC cards into the MxR adaptors.

Leonard Levy May 30th, 2009 01:20 AM

Bob,
What about being able to switch the "write protect" tab. I think that's a very important safeguard when downloading. But you have to remove the SDHC card to do that.

I would think this is more important than wear and tear on the contacts.

Lenny Levy

Anthony McErlean May 30th, 2009 01:41 AM

Thanks for all the advice,
I only intend to have one card in the reader and keep is as I would an SXS card, one complete unit.

Tuy, yes, thats what i intend to do, bring 5 or 6 SDHC cards with adaptors and use each one as If its an SXS card.

I think if I work like this I wont get the restore media message because I wont be putting a full or part full card back into the camera, it will be empty cards I'll be using.

Bob, yes, one adaptor per SDHC card, that is my plan and thats the way I'll work for my weddings but I didn't think taking out an sdhc card and putting in another card into the same adaptor would have done any harm but there you go, I only did it this way to format each sdhc card,

So, should you keep an SDHC card in its own Kensington adaptor, keep this as a pair and keep them like this for all projects?
Do any of you do that?, perhaps this is not necessary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr (Post 1150550)
As for testing, in the future I plan to set up and "shoot 'em full" before using them.

So, to test the card before using it for something important put the cards into the camera and just let it record, till full. Is this the best AND ONLY way. Thanks Kevin.

Alister Chapman May 30th, 2009 07:27 AM

Do you software eject or un-mount the cards by right clicking on them before disconnecting them from the computer? Failing to correctly eject/un-mount cards before removing them from the computer will cause restore errors.

Vincent Oliver May 30th, 2009 10:23 AM

I have had the Restore message a couple of times, each time I have just ejected the card and adaptor and reinserted it again. sometimes the camera just needs to see it again.

Tuy Le May 30th, 2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1150859)
I have had the Restore message a couple of times, each time I have just ejected the card and adaptor and reinserted it again. sometimes the camera just needs to see it again.

so to avoid the Restore msg, maybe we don't eject the card until the card is filled or finish the job :=)

Vincent Oliver May 30th, 2009 02:20 PM

No not at all, just re-insert the card & adaptor again and make shure you push it all the way home. I haven't lost any shots (yet!).

Anthony McErlean May 30th, 2009 04:20 PM

Just back in from my wedding but I didn't have the courage to use it as my main camera :(
but what I did record was fine, but I'm out again in the morning so I'm going to use it this time. Thanks for all the replies

Alister, no nothing like that happened.

Tuy, good advice and Vincent, I'll try that If it happens again.

Thanks again,

I'll keep you posted.

Anthony McErlean May 31st, 2009 06:02 AM

Used the EX3 as my main camera this time and everything went OK.
I don't intend to put part recorded cards back into my camera, Fill one card at a time and replace it with an empty one, so I cant see me getting a restore media message doing it this way.

Thanks for all the advice.

Bob Grant May 31st, 2009 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Levy (Post 1150711)
Bob,
What about being able to switch the "write protect" tab. I think that's a very important safeguard when downloading. But you have to remove the SDHC card to do that.

I would think this is more important than wear and tear on the contacts.

Lenny Levy

I've never even thought to "write protect" the cards.
It's impossible to overwrite a clip in the camera as far as I know and Windows doesn't seem to mess with what's on the cards. I could in theory delete a clip that I shouldn't either in the camera or with Windows but I have a strict routine on card handling both on the shoot and back at base.

Anthony McErlean May 31st, 2009 08:27 AM

r
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Grant (Post 1150612)
I'm considering gluing the SDHC cards into the MxR adaptors.

Can you get a reader for the desktop to slot the SXS card or the Kensington adaptor into.

If so, this would mean you could keep the sdhc card in the adaptor at all times.

Tuy Le May 31st, 2009 01:49 PM

You can get "MxR USB Adapter" and use "adapter w/ SDHC" as one device with your desktop USB port.
This way you don't need to deal with the tiny SDHC card when you have a big hand :-)

Andy Schocken May 31st, 2009 01:52 PM

I always write-protect SDHC cards for downloading, just as I do with SxS cards. Maybe it's not necessary, but it seems like an added layer of data protection.

Anthony McErlean May 31st, 2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuy Le (Post 1151388)
You can get "MxR USB Adapter" and use "adapter w/ SDHC" as one device with your desktop USB port.
This way you don't need to deal with the tiny SDHC card when you have a big hand :-)

Thanks Tuy, wonder were I'd get something like that in the UK
Would this work do you think.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-USB-2-...781481&sr=8-19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Schocken (Post 1151390)
I always write-protect SDHC cards for downloading, just as I do with SxS cards. Maybe it's not necessary, but it seems like an added layer of data protection.

Andy, Good advice, Thanks.

Tuy Le May 31st, 2009 05:59 PM

Anthony,
this is the link:
MxR USB Adapter

oh and get those plastic cases too ($5 each) - to protect the adapter from dust and no chance for any strange object get into the connector :-)

Anthony McErlean June 1st, 2009 01:27 AM

Thanks for the link Tuy Le.